HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
The app is great, now as for the content ...
I think it's decent. And enough of a fill to replace cable between on-demand services like Netflix. I pay the $5 for CBC News too, so I have a live Canadian news service.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 2:19 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I think it's decent. And enough of a fill to replace cable between on-demand services like Netflix. I pay the $5 for CBC News too, so I have a live Canadian news service.
Sure there is some decent content on Gem, but I'd take BC's Knowledge Network selection of content any day of the week. As for news, with so many streams out there, it would be hard for me to pay for CBC's when I find most of the content is repeated over the course of the day. I definitely pay for premium streams - but CBC is definitely not one of them.

But at least this is a good model for the CBC ... as there are others here like you who like the service and find value in it. As such, you pay the monthly fees for the content and "speak with your wallet". Too bad we can't do the same for the mainline broadcast channel since as the CRTC numbers I linked to show that CBC captures 10% or less of all broadcast viewership (not all viewership which would be much lower). At what point do we say that the broadcast model is dead for the CBC and change it to a solely streamed service?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 3:32 PM

The post above reminded me of a situation involving CBC, CTV and Global. I live in one of the parts of the country that lost it's CBC transmitter but I am able to receive CBC free through GEM over the Internet.

Just curious to know what people think about the fact that while you can receive CTV and Global OTA, you have to be signed up to a paid provider to access them on the Internet. Not everyone lives in an area with good antenna reception even if they had or purchased an antenna. Does anyone else think that's not right.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Just curious to know what people think about the fact that while you can receive CTV and Global OTA, you have to be signed up to a paid provider to access them on the Internet. Not everyone lives in an area with good antenna reception even if they had or purchased an antenna. Does anyone else think that's not right.
I think that gets into an issue of whether we should have substantial public internet services. I would love for utilities to get into the municipal wifi game.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I think that gets into an issue of whether we should have substantial public internet services. I would love for utilities to get into the municipal wifi game.
I don't know if it was true or not but quite a while ago I heard about a town in Atlantic Canada that was providing Internet service for $20 a month. That might have been DSL during its heyday.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 12:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by channing76 View Post
To each their own, I personally think Rex Murphy is the smartest man in Canada and agree with 90 percent of what he says.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

More shit disturbing from me

According to this article La Presse, there is a big fight between the anglophone news service (based in Toronto) and the francophone counterpart (based in Montreal) based on the use of the n-word and other related matters.

One might say that there are two nations warring in the bosom of a single broadcaster.

It's not new to most as to how the two sides line up, but it was interesting that basically every single person in the corp who stood up for Wendy Mesley when she was axed was from the francophone service.

The biggie for me was how the CBC in Toronto got so caught up in the George Floyd (+, etc.) issue and its aftermath that they suggested that journalistic standards rules be changed for reporters from certain minorities, so they might be exempt from the professional requirement to be be objective and impartial. The issues were deemed so important as to justify that. The francophone news service was apparently outraged at that suggestion.

An interesting read for those who know French or have a good translation app:

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/e...ada-et-cbc.php

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
the CBC in Toronto got so caught up in the George Floyd (+, etc.) issue and its aftermath that they suggested that journalistic standards rules be changed for reporters from certain minorities, so they might be exempt from the professional requirement to be be objective and impartial. The issues were deemed so important as to justify that.
Quelle surprise.
The CBC is a lost cause. This is why I no longer watch it (except for late evening local news)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:10 PM

There is no need for English cbc it just plugs in various British shows pretending its canadian. They don't have one program that cracks top 30 shows in weekly ratings even their news get less than half of what ctv draws.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
American cities have more crime, more local politics and way more interest in high school sports, so that fills more time. I am not sure there are enough interesting stories to fill a daily newscast in most cities in Canada.
We have plenty of local politics in Canada that get almost no media coverage at all. I really notice this in BC; there is substantially less coverage of city hall in Vancouver and surrounding municipalities in Vancouver-area media compared to what Toronto media reports on Toronto's City Hall. It is extremely rare to ever see city council meetings in New Westminster, Burnaby, Coquitlam, or Richmond mentioned by any of our media. The one exception is Surrey, which I think gets more coverage than Vancouver - but that's somewhat due to some of the scandals and drama involving their mayor, as well as the planned transition of local policing from the RCMP to a new local force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Even before the pandemic, one thing I noticed from the National's coverage was the gradual disappearance of business news.

About 10 years ago, they used to have about 5-10 minutes of nightly reporting from Bay Street, they'd usually have a ticker to show how the major stock indices did that day, or the value of the CAD, and they'd usually have a panel discussion anchored by Amanda Lang with senior economists from the major banks. Now there's practically nothing.

Are people just not interested in business news? Is this a generational thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it, but yeah, you don't see the likes of Robert Scully or Fred Langan doing business coverage on the CBC main network's news shows anymore. I guess they've shunted that off to the news network now, but even then the person who I believe is their lead business correspondent, Jeannie Lee, doesn't get a ton of airtime.

I can only imagine that someone looked into it and realized that the people most interested in that sort of thing were getting their news from other, more specialized sources anyway. It's the same way with sports... the local 6 pm CBC news here used to include a 12 minute daily rundown of everything happening in the sports world. Now it's limited to telling you whether the Jets or Bombers are playing that day, or if they won or lost the night before. That's it. They know anyone who wants more details is going to TSN.
Not just The National, but CBC News Network as well. They used to cover business news very well 15-20 years ago (as CBC Newsworld).

With regards to sports, TSN and Sportsnet cover the NHL, Blue Jays, and other major leagues reasonably well. Local sports get very poor coverage nowadays, CBC or otherwise.

There are a couple exceptions - Global BC, Global Edmonton, and Global Calgary continue to have full sports departments and put out full sportscasts every day. Global BC (by far the most dominant TV news broadcaster in BC) has multiple sports anchors and reporters. They cover the BC Lions, Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Whitecaps, Vancouver Canadians (baseball), and even the Seattle Seahawks far more than what you get from TSN and Sportsnet. They also give some coverage to the WHL and other minor hockey leagues. More than likely they have kept this up because the national sports channels have a perception of being Toronto-centric; whether that's true or not is another discussion, but if there's something people outside Ontario don't like, it's constant coverage of the Toronto Maple Leafs. From what I understand, BCTV (Global BC)'s news department has long taken a stand of filling in a regional gap from what national broadcasters out east provide.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CBC dicks around with their format way too much. Not just for The National but for local newscasts too. The problem is that it always changes on a whim based on the federal budget or other political factors. For example, CBC used to dominate the local supper hour news slot in Winnipeg in the 80s... then cuts happened, the local news became a shadow of itself, and viewers drifted away. Even when more resources went into the show, the viewers didn't come back.
CBC did very well in local news across most of Canada back in the 1980s. In Vancouver they were a solid second place up against BCTV, and ahead of third-place CKVU (later Global, now Citytv). Ratings plummeted after CBC's cutbacks in 1990, and CKVU quickly took over the #2 position. Nowadays I believe CTV is #2 and CBC is either #3 or #4. BCTV became Global and is still #1.

Calgary was a case where CBC was #1, but the cutbacks in 1990 led to them getting a regional newscast from Edmonton instead. Even with restoration of a Calgary-based newscast, their ratings have never recovered, and now it's a dead heat between CTV and Global.

Newfoundland's CBC had arguably the most successful supper-hour newscast, significantly above that of NTV. This even lasted throughout the 90s. It was the switch to Canada Now in 2000 that destroyed CBC's news dominance in Newfoundland, and NTV has dominated ever since. Not sure what the story is like these days since Here & Now returned.

On the French side, from my understanding TVA's stations are dominant in every part of Quebec, over Radio-Canada (except Ottawa-Gatineau), and have been for decades.

TV ratings have long been an interest of mine, and there's an extensive archive of BBM/Numeris ratings books online from 1967 to 2009 that I looked through recently.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

On the French side, from my understanding TVA's stations are dominant in every part of Quebec, over Radio-Canada (except Ottawa-Gatineau), and have been for decades.

Yup, TVA's local news out its Gatineau looks like rinky-dink community TV compared to Radio-Canada's flashy, state-of-the-art studio that they broadcast from.

TVA's 6 pm newscast in this local market would probably do even worse if they didn't have the TVA juggernaut main network news programming right before it at 5 pm, and which drives many viewers to it simply because they don't bother to change the channel.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Newfoundland's CBC had arguably the most successful supper-hour newscast, significantly above that of NTV. This even lasted throughout the 90s. It was the switch to Canada Now in 2000 that destroyed CBC's news dominance in Newfoundland, and NTV has dominated ever since. Not sure what the story is like these days since Here & Now returned.
CBC Charlottetown in PEI has a ridiculous market share for their suppertime news program (well north of 80%), but, this is because they have essentially no competition. CTV Atlantic concentrates almost exclusively on NB & NS news, and only recently actually physically stationed a correspondent on PEI. Global News is very Halifax centric.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
CBC Charlottetown in PEI has a ridiculous market share for their suppertime news program (well north of 80%), but, this is because they have essentially no competition. CTV Atlantic concentrates almost exclusively on NB & NS news, and only recently actually physically stationed a correspondent on PEI. Global News is very Halifax centric.
It was like that when I lived in PEI as well.

Live at Five on ATV was already a regional juggernaut at the time and I would have thought that over time they would have dug into CBC's dominance on PEI.

I guess not.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It was like that when I lived in PEI as well.

Live at Five on ATV was already a regional juggernaut at the time and I would have thought that over time they would have dug into CBC's dominance on PEI.

I guess not.
PEIslanders are much more interested in the results of the weekly cribbage tournament in North Rustico than a bank robbery in Saint John.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
PEIslanders are much more interested in the results of the weekly cribbage tournament in North Rustico than a bank robbery in Saint John.
Which is funny because the main complaint in NB is that Live at Five on CTV is too Halifax-centric. There's no winning.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Shit! I just checked and the CBC PEI newscast still has the same name!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Which is funny because the main complaint in NB is that Live at Five on CTV is too Halifax-centric. There's no winning.
The 5-6 PM Live at Five segment does skew towards Halifax public interest stories, but this has improved somewhat. The main 6-7 PM CTV regional newscast is actually fairly balanced between NB & NS news. PEI usually only gets one item over the course of the entire two hour program. Curiously, if there is a part of the region overrepresented on the newscast, it tends to be Cape Breton, where they have two full time reporters, for a local population base of about 150,000.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 8:37 PM

I used to watch The National religiously when Peter Mansbridge was at the helm. Now I never watch it with their stupid idea of having 2 different anchors in different cities. It has gone from a newscast to a touchy-feely diversity promotion lecture.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 8:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
We have plenty of local politics in Canada that get almost no media coverage at all. I really notice this in BC; there is substantially less coverage of city hall in Vancouver and surrounding municipalities in Vancouver-area media compared to what Toronto media reports on Toronto's City Hall. It is extremely rare to ever see city council meetings in New Westminster, Burnaby, Coquitlam, or Richmond mentioned by any of our media. The one exception is Surrey, which I think gets more coverage than Vancouver - but that's somewhat due to some of the scandals and drama involving their mayor, as well as the planned transition of local policing from the RCMP to a new local force.

Toronto local coverage really benefits from having national networks and all of their resources and infrastructure simply based there, often in the same building.

You definitely get that with the francophone networks based in Montreal as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada