HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder what the current status of the Killam Properties project at the corner of St. George and Archibald is?

The rezoning was last September. Hopefully work will begin on this project this summer......

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Our Tide is Rising

The rental market may be loosening up a bit this summer though as many projects finish up around the same time...Killam may play it safe and wait til next summer so the market has time to absorb...

There are around 10 large buildings that will be opening up within the next 6-8 months...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 11:43 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

10 at least...

I'm just estimating here, but I would not be surprised if the city adds 600-800 apartment or condo units just this year. That's a hell of a lot of construction when you add in the traditional home building, townhouses etc. That said, StatsCan's annual estimates for the past five years have had the city growing by 2500 people per year, up from like 1800 a year for the previous census. I don't remember what the breakdown between new home vs new apartment construction is. At any rate, with that many people coming to the city every year, I don't think it's crazy to expect 500 units a year in construction.

What I find very interesting is that we seem to be seeing a gradual increase in scale in some of these projects. No twenty story towers yet, but height is creeping up nonetheless. We're also starting to see serious proposals for buildings approaching 100 units.

As for Killam and their proposed building. The city may be overbuilt and we might see a slowdown in apartment construction, but I doubt it would last more than a year. A slowdown would disproportionately affect smaller operators who might be discouraged by higher occupancy rates, but big guys like Killam could certainly ride it out. I think it would be pretty safe to say that their people know all about what's being put up in the city right now. They wouldn't go to the trouble of rezoning and producing designs for a building they didn't think they could build for a few years.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 11:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I understand, I was just thinking that there might be a window of opportunity here for Killam to get this project going, before the Ashverd development on Assomption or whatever transpires in terms of residential as part of the Events Centre project.

If Killam waits a couple of years, they might end up waiting a decade......

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 1:53 AM

Great news! The deteriorating Adrian's Cycle building in front of Moncton High School has been bought by the owner of Zio's pizza. The building will be flatten.

The owner shared a few thoughts with me which I'm not prepared to release at this time. He's well aware of what's going on across the street with MHS, and already has plans for the new real estate.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Anybody who thinks closing Main Street won't be a major cluster wasn't downtown Friday afternoon when RCMP blocked off the streets surrounding the French Consulate at 777 Main.
Nightmare on Main Street - The Movie

During the chaos on Friday afternoon, I took the detour on St-George street. What a mess! The intersection at Church & St-George was mad! Everyone was treating it as a 4 way stop. One driver going West on St-George decided to stop and thought it was a good idea to let about 12 cars exit Church street. Not sure if a freight train went through the city during this shut down, if so, glad I wasn't there to witness the road rage!

Back to Nightmare on Main Street. Last weekend I had nothing to do, so I was just driving around for no reason. Decided to hit Main st. While driving at a slow pace, I was trying to envision Main street with only 2 lanes, new parking spots, no left turns.

Newly licensed drivers trying desperately to parallel parks their cars while 20 cars behind 'em laying down some musical horns. Cabbies driving 20kmh looking for fairs. Buses dropping off commuters every block, slowing down traffic to a crawl. Cyclists risking life and limp trying to squeeze through the parked cars and traffic flow.

I actually saw a cabbie drop off some passengers in front of the smoke shop (Robinson&Main). The cabbie actually parked there for a few minutes doing something in his minivan, halting all traffic on Main st going West, while half a dozen cars waiting behind him.

How will this horror movie end, who knows. I do know one thing, people who regularly use Main street as an artery to get to one end of town to the other will quickly realize they do not have time or the patience to commute through Main street anymore.

Anticipate a 50% increase in traffic flow along St-George and Assumption.

And if a freight train come through Friday rush hour traffic...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Great news! The deteriorating Adrian's Cycle building in front of Moncton High School has been bought by the owner of Zio's pizza. The building will be flatten.

The owner shared a few thoughts with me which I'm not prepared to release at this time. He's well aware of what's going on across the street with MHS, and already has plans for the new real estate.
Are you suggesting that this person is aware of concrete plans regarding MHS and that it's likely to move ahead?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:05 AM

Apologies for my wording. He's aware of all the controversy at MHS and he's keeping himself up to date on what's going on across the street, just like everyone else.

When he told me he bought Adrian's, I congratulated him and said I really hope you're tearing it down...he said yes. Discussion went a little further.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:17 AM

Thanks! Keep us up to date

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
FINALLY! Now do the same to Midnight Magic (or whatever it's called)!

Also:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cton-fire.html

Maritime Ice Company was destroyed by fire this morning. They're just up the street from Maritime Door and Windows.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

All the streets around there are blocked off right now.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

Today's Times.. Looks like they will break ground next spring.

Quote:
New development in the works for downtown Moncton

Bishops Landing style develpment coming to former Beaver Lumber property

BY BRENT MAZEROLLE

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

If you're trying to picture what sort of development is coming to the last vacant piece of the former Beaver Lumber property down at the northwest corner of Assomption and Westmorland, it would be helpful if you're familiar with the Bishops Landing development on the Halifax waterfront.

Patrick Gillespie of Ashford Properties said that's the type of build his company is going for in downtown Moncton, a primarily residential development with a mix of retail/restaurant development thrown in.

That may change to include an office tower too, though, if Ashford proves the successful bidder to provide about 40,000 square feet of office space to the federal government. The tender closed last week and Gillespie is hopeful.
To continue reading, buy a paper or wait until it's posted elsewhere!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
That may change to include an office tower too, though, if Ashford proves the successful bidder to provide about 40,000 square feet of office space to the federal government. The tender closed last week and Gillespie is hopeful.
This is an interesting morsel of information. I heard last fall that the feds were sniffing around Highfield Square, with the assumption that if the events centre went here that this could form part of a federal contribution to the project. This certainly lends credence to the rumour.

I wonder why the feds are looking for 40,000 sq ft of new space in downtown Moncton?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder why the feds are looking for 40,000 sq ft of new space in downtown Moncton?
Votes...one of the fastest growing CMA's in the country, voted one of the best places to do business in North America, reasonably bilingual workforce...IMHO.

(As for what department specifically...who knows)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:51 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

DFO was tendering on new space last summer, IIRC.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:31 PM

Just a couple of points that may, or may not add to the discussion above.

First, The federal government is shrinking not expanding so I suspect the feds need for 40,000 sq ft has more to do with expiring leases elswehere than anything else. Maybe a need or want to consolidate space locally thus saving some money.

Second, and I haven't seen this anywhere else on this forum but there are two significantly sized apartment buildings going up near The Cat Rental Store & Rallye Motors. I haven't noticed lately but if ground has not been broken yet, it should be very soon. There will be 100+ apartments in each.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
First, The federal government is shrinking not expanding so I suspect the feds need for 40,000 sq ft has more to do with expiring leases elswehere than anything else. Maybe a need or want to consolidate space locally thus saving some money.
If as Myles suggests, that this could be DFO, then I wonder what the status of the Gulf Fisheries Centre across from the Dumont Hospital would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
Second, and I haven't seen this anywhere else on this forum but there are two significantly sized apartment buildings going up near The Cat Rental Store & Rallye Motors. I haven't noticed lately but if ground has not been broken yet, it should be very soon. There will be 100+ apartments in each.
We were already aware of this project, but the last time it was discussed was a number of months ago and this was on the old main Moncton thread. Given it's size and scale (over 100 units in each building), it would seem likely that the buildings would probably be at least eight stories tall.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
DFO was tendering on new space last summer, IIRC.
It as been talked before of the possibilities that DFO (Gulf Fisheries Centre) and Environment Canada would move together in a bigger/newer building (offices & laboratories). DFO “historical building “-(another way of saying very old) is not up to code anymore with the laboratory spaces and ventilation system. The 6th floor as been condemned for years and they’ve been having numerous issues with their elevator structure. On the other hand, EC as been in a lease with UdeM campus for quite some time now and the rumour is that they are trying to get out of it. Apparently the price tag for renting is ridiculously high.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:52 PM

Don't think this was posted before. This is what the Dominion condo development will look like. Not sure if cladding is already going up.

source

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 9:40 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Don't think this was posted before. This is what the Dominion condo development will look like. Not sure if cladding is already going up.

source
I'm happy to say that the cladding is very nice on this building. What it lacks in height it (partially) makes up for by being very urban in design. It has a flat roof and is covered in stone and large windows...much better than the standard 4 floor, wood/vinyl siding, asphalt shingle buildings we see so often

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces