HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 6:39 PM

^ The proof will be in the pudding. It's hard to say how this will look in person. While I'm encouraged by all of he development in W. Philly, a lot of the new student housing is making for blocks of ugly/boring.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:57 PM

Not massive news, but this is pretty sweet - no pun intended

Hershey's 1st café is a sweet topping to $15M Independence Visitor Center refresh

Read more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ng-to-15m.html

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:59 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

New proposal at 4th and Race-- residential units for homeless.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20190521...40-Race-St.pdf

2000 Spring Garden-- 5 stories, 7 units

https://www.phila.gov/media/20190521...-Garden-St.pdf

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
2000 Spring Garden-- 5 stories, 7 units
Cool! How often do you see a project that actually recreates the original fabric of the block it's in?

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Cool! How often do you see a project that actually recreates the original fabric of the block it's in?
Agreed, this looks really sharp-- I don't see the Historic Commission giving the developer any issues at all.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
I believe it has to be approved because it falls into a historic district, but the render looks awesome, and proves that it can be done. What's even better is that the building that is currently there doesn't fit in as much as this new build will.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
What's even better is that the building that is currently there doesn't fit in as much as this new build will.
Exactly. There was originally a twin (as you see down the block), half of which got torn down sometime. They are rebuilding that half and then adding a bonus on top.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:07 AM

4th & Race proposal is a terrible location for a necessary service.
I don't imagine the builders of the new building across the street or any of the near neighbors will be very happy to have dozens of homeless men congregating on the block.
Not to mention proximity to historical and tourist attractions.
In addition to the Historical Commission, will they also need ZBA approval for this use?

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:58 AM

The Spring Garden project looks great, the 4th and Race pretty crappy.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
4th & Race proposal is a terrible location for a necessary service.
I don't imagine the builders of the new building across the street or any of the near neighbors will be very happy to have dozens of homeless men congregating on the block.
Not to mention proximity to historical and tourist attractions.
In addition to the Historical Commission, will they also need ZBA approval for this use?
there are homeless people in many parts of CC. do you realize there is a shelter behind the Loews and less than a block from East Market? don't think it's really hurt property values. Homeless people dont go away if you simply don't build any shelters.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
there are homeless people in many parts of CC. do you realize there is a shelter behind the Loews and less than a block from East Market? don't think it's really hurt property values. Homeless people dont go away if you simply don't build any shelters.

Ah well that explains why there are always so many homeless people around the 7-11 on chestnut, I would argue that they certainly do have a negative impact on that corner. Also the area around 12th & Market is much more dense and can more easily absorb that type of facility, I think it will stick out and have a more negative impact at 4th and Race.
I am certainly not saying that there should not be shelters, but I don’t think they should be in touristy/high rent areas.
I’m sure none of us would welcome a homeless men’s shelter across the street from our homes.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
Ah well that explains why there are always so many homeless people around the 7-11 on chestnut, I would argue that they certainly do have a negative impact on that corner. Also the area around 12th & Market is much more dense and can more easily absorb that type of facility, I think it will stick out and have a more negative impact at 4th and Race.
I am certainly not saying that there should not be shelters, but I don’t think they should be in touristy/high rent areas.
I’m sure none of us would welcome a homeless men’s shelter across the street from our homes.
Little known True Fact®, Old First Reformed Church at 4th & Race has hosted a nighttime Winter Shelter, in conjunction with Bethesda Project, for the past 35 years.

https://oldfirstucc.org/serve/volunteer/winter-shelter/
Old First was the first church in Philadelphia to open its doors to homeless Philadelphians back in 1984.

Today, through a partnership with Bethesda Project, Old First’s Social Hall becomes home to 30 residents from November through April. Bethesda staff serve as night supervisors and provide the primary social services and case management. Old First provides the space and organizes outside groups to host dinners.

Volunteers come from all over the region to prepare, serve, and share an evening meal with the men of the shelter several days a week.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Little known True Fact®, Old First Reformed Church at 4th & Race has hosted a nighttime Winter Shelter, in conjunction with Bethesda Project, for the past 35 years.

https://oldfirstucc.org/serve/volunteer/winter-shelter/
Old First was the first church in Philadelphia to open its doors to homeless Philadelphians back in 1984.

Today, through a partnership with Bethesda Project, Old First’s Social Hall becomes home to 30 residents from November through April. Bethesda staff serve as night supervisors and provide the primary social services and case management. Old First provides the space and organizes outside groups to host dinners.

Volunteers come from all over the region to prepare, serve, and share an evening meal with the men of the shelter several days a week.

Yeah but still lol

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:16 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Another perspective of 43rd and Chestnut

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:35 PM

Looks good. Nice to have density and some new retail in that location.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Another perspective of 43rd and Chestnut

Ground level retail? Awesome!

I really think that with all this momentum moving west, those empty lots at 45th and Market should get something tall soon. Hopefully with Blackwell out, West Philly will be more conducive to development.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

I really think that with all this momentum moving west, those empty lots at 45th and Market should get something tall soon. Hopefully with Blackwell out, West Philly will be more conducive to development.
The retail is only going to be 2,500sf at the corner, but it'll be an improvement nonetheless. I'm told at least two more buildings like this one are being proposed soon in the same relative area, though probably 2/3rds as large.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Blackwell was known more for refusal to rezone than being anti development- a whole lot of building has been going on in West Philly/UC for a while. I doubt any privately owned vacant lots/parking lots are there because of Blackwell. The biggest project she interfered with was a public project- the youth study center.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:29 PM

1,096 Unit Mixed-Use Project Proposed Next to Graffiti Pier in the Riverwards

This is a huge project for the area. 848 units + 248 townhouses. Anyone think it will actually get built? Article Link

Last edited by Kfmcshan; May 22, 2019 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
[/IMG]This is a huge project for the area. 848 units + 248 townhouses. Anyone think it will actually get built?
Wow. That's huge. I don't see why something like this couldn't get built here, but I'd expect a 6-10 year build-out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development