HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
So, anybody venture up to BYU-I to get some pics of the new buildings built or under construction?
Earlier in the week, KTVB here in Boise had a small story about the new auditorium center. There are pics at the link, the inside looks nice, but the exterior looks mundane and clinical like many other Church built university buildings and multi purpose centers such as the Conference Center in SLC.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/New-15000-s...101826913.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 4:31 AM

I haven't seen the place in person, but based on those photos, there's nothing too interesting about the exterior of the building. Kind of looks like a pumped up high school auditorium from the 70's or 80's. As far as the Conference Center... mudane and clinical? I don't see many buildings covered in gardens. You might have an argument for clinical if you are refering to the cold, austere quality of the marble and granite as well as the Neoclassic appropriations. It's not my favorite building because it could use a bit more humanity, but I've never really understood why it makes so many shit lists.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I haven't seen the place in person, but based on those photos, there's nothing too interesting about the exterior of the building. Kind of looks like a pumped up high school auditorium from the 70's or 80's. As far as the Conference Center... mudane and clinical? I don't see many buildings covered in gardens. You might have an argument for clinical if you are refering to the cold, austere quality of the marble and granite as well as the Neoclassic appropriations. It's not my favorite building because it could use a bit more humanity, but I've never really understood why it makes so many shit lists.
Hence the garden on top...the building is so ugly that they had to do something to try to be unique and to detract from the building itself. I have never thought of the Church as having much taste in buildings except for the old temples which are beautiful and a few of the newer temples.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 3:15 PM

Quote:
As far as the Conference Center... mudane and clinical? I don't see many buildings covered in gardens. You might have an argument for clinical if you are refering to the cold, austere quality of the marble and granite as well as the Neoclassic appropriations. It's not my favorite building because it could use a bit more humanity, but I've never really understood why it makes so many shit lists.
The auditorium seems fairly attractive on the inside, but definitely lacks anything that would catch the eye on the exterior.

Regarding the LDS Conference Center, I tend to think more along your line VelvetElvis. Of course, no building, no matter how exceptional many of it's features are, is liked by everyone. From many site lines and aspects of it's design, the Conference Center is nothing less than magnificient, and IMO it would be superfluous to dismiss most of it. I think the hundreds of photo's taken regularly by droves of visiting photographers bears that out. I love the way it's terraced, garden walls engage the neighborhoods to the north and east. Also, it's corner street engagement at the southwest and southeast is very attractive in my opinion. Then of course, there is the roof gardens, many water features and main auditorium, which is second to none in the world. I think the North Temple side has some excellent aspects, such as the water falls, including the city creek curbside appeal. However, portions of the masonary design IMO is too austere along North Temple.

It's also interesting to note that it has won numerous and varied national/international awards for a host of it's features.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 8:27 PM

The interior is beautiful, but the exterior is very much left up to the judgments of people and I know this building has been somewhat controversial because of its design. I know people who are from Europe, travelled the world, and have said the conference center isn't to their liking. I am sure it does attract a lot of conference goer photographers to add pictures to their Books of Remembrances.

But enough of the conference center, we could go on and on and on but we will all still have our opinions.

Ricks/BYU-I does have a few nice old buildings on campus, the new ones leave a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 10:58 PM

I am from Europe and have traveled the world, and with the exception of certain points along north temple, I think the Conference Center has an abundance of exceptional features, both inside and outside, but that's just my opinion.
I think the numerous awards given the building, were probably not for the purpose of Books of Remembrances, nor were many of the Non-LDS photos taken for religiously related keepsakes. Anyway very true, we're both entitled to our differing opinions.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 2:50 AM
Always running Late

Was over in idaho falls for work, took some pictures of taylors crossing, wanted to get some of the new snake river landing as well but didn't have time.
Love the timeless nature of this developement and having it within close proximity to downtown is quite nice.
The fountain in the centre of the roundabout is quite spectacular.
You can also see the iconic Mormon temple in the background
thought it was time for Idaho falls to have some pictures up. There really is a lot going on over there for a city that size.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Boiseguy; Sep 18, 2010 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:16 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I'm not referring to your deleted post Boiseguy but the comment preceding yours. The silliness that takes place here on occasion is worthy of a good giggle, but maybe it is my triple shot mocha latte from La Vie En Rose giving me the jitters.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 9:41 AM

Definitely nice to see some IF pics. So...what is Taylor's Crossing?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 7:08 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Definitely nice to see some IF pics. So...what is Taylor's Crossing?
http://www.taylorcrossing.com/

this is snake river landing which is right across the bridge from taylor crossing.. which is also an extension along the river

http://www.snakeriverlanding.com/vision.html
http://www.snakeriverlanding.com/gallery.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 2:29 AM

Nice photos Boiseguy. Around these parts the Snake makes it all worth it. Mostly... Did you check out historic downtown? A few weeks ago there was a guy standing on the top of the Odd Fellows Bldg. (A st. Antique Store) threatening to jump. I walked by to get some curry on my lunch hour and saw the intersection blocked off with a few squad cars and a paramedics standing by just in case. Thankfully he didn't take the leap. I think, unless he managed to go head first, they would have eventually put him back together since he was only about 30' above the street. I went straight back to my office 'cause I've been first on the scene of some gruesome human accidents in the past and I find no pleasure in that kind of spectacle.There were a number of people eating their lunches outside while enjoying the entertainment. -Kind of creepy really.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:07 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Nice photos Boiseguy. Around these parts the Snake makes it all worth it. Mostly... Did you check out historic downtown? A few weeks ago there was a guy standing on the top of the Odd Fellows Bldg. (A st. Antique Store) threatening to jump. I walked by to get some curry on my lunch hour and saw the intersection blocked off with a few squad cars and a paramedics standing by just in case. Thankfully he didn't take the leap. I think, unless he managed to go head first, they would have eventually put him back together since he was only about 30' above the street. I went straight back to my office 'cause I've been first on the scene of some gruesome human accidents in the past and I find no pleasure in that kind of spectacle.There were a number of people eating their lunches outside while enjoying the entertainment. -Kind of creepy really.
I walked around downtown, but unfortunately forgot my camera in the car...too bad I missed the drama... dunno if I'd want to see a guy splatter on the pavement.. but it's kinda like a train wreck.. you can't help but want to watch...
Idaho Falls reminds me of a smaller boise.. The river going through downtown and the greenbelt.. these additions south along the river will make for more urban development in the city core. The one eyesore I did see in that area was a disgusting walmart.. I cant believe the city allowed them to go there..I would have made them go out on the west side off broadway rather than right there..
I drove out towards the mall area and boy what a mess..that whole ammon/idaho falls area is a meridian/eagle in the making...
all in all though it is a lovely little city.. and considering the population of it.. I would say it is doing what it can to enhance it's core..

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 3:26 PM

New flight for IF Regional Airport

Just read that there will be a nonstop IDA to PHX starting soon. Not sure of the details but I like it. This will be Allegiant's third non stop to cities in the SW. Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Vegas! I wonder if they would be interested in picking up the IF-Boise route? Fares would be much cheaper I'm sure.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 6:05 PM

Downtown Inkley's building sold a few weeks ago. From what I'm told, corporate got their asking price (after more than a year on the market.) Top will be law offices, bottom will continue as a retail space. If you have ever walked through the longgggg unused top floor of that bldg. you know how much incredible potential it has. It should make some great upscale offices. Also, a number of downtown businesses are in the midst of expansion. -Knocking down walls and growing into the nextdoor spaces. I think it is a good thing. Too many little boutique size spaces means more crappy pawn shops.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 6:45 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Just read that there will be a nonstop IDA to PHX starting soon. Not sure of the details but I like it. This will be Allegiant's third non stop to cities in the SW. Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Vegas! I wonder if they would be interested in picking up the IF-Boise route? Fares would be much cheaper I'm sure.
Would be cool! But no, unfortunately, that would go totally against Allegiant's current business model, which is to connect underserved cities to sun belt vacation destinations. Unless they drastically change their business model, 0% chance that they will start IF-Boise.

I do however, think that Boise to Idaho Falls will be restarted by Horizon Air, or served by SkyWest or Great Lakes Airlines, or connected somehow in the next 5-7 years, if that helps. It's a profitable route with the right aircraft, but the problem is that nobody seems to have the right aircraft.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 7:03 AM

Haven't been over to IF in almost a year now. ANYTHING new going on downtown or at the INL...or anywhere around IF? Just would like an update on my hometown

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:47 AM

http://www.localnews8.com/news/26703323/detail.html Not sure about how big this NEW building will be but at least it's something.

There are a few things going on around town, namely new chains going into vacant buildings and companies renovating downtown space. Nothing huge going on but there seems to be some growth going on nonetheless. Can't wait to see what Areva will bring along with it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 6:01 AM

There will be a press conference about a downtown development coming up in the next few weeks. It will have cultural significance.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
There will be a press conference about a downtown development coming up in the next few weeks. It will have cultural significance.
Oh good! Can you give a hint? Events Center?

Now I guess there are 2 new buildings going up on the INL Campus this summer in IF, both research labs...good news finally coming!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 9:13 PM

-Not the Events Center. The Press Conference will be next week. The project certainly isn't comparable to the EC in terms of financial capital, but significant for a variety of reasons. It will be a remarkably visionary piece of rehab for a very visible parcel in downtown. I'll post a link and info when it becomes "official."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West