HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamshatter View Post
you only get the abatement on the renovated amount. The core house is still subject to taxes without relief program assistance. So you’d still be paying pretty expensive taxes to get a house in a safer area that is size wise the same as the newer homes. The. You have a higher mortgage rate bc renovations are viewed as risky by insurance companies, you have higher out of pocket expenses with maintenance in the house, and in my case, i have mobility impaired parents which makes daily life challenging enough, much less trying to navigate that around a renovation.

I honestly don’t know how i’m supposed to take on all this and never get any financial assistance to get ahead. The rich and the poor get so much help but the middle is left with no support. People telling me to work 50-60 hours a week, take care of my parents, and also renovate a house myself so i can have a moderately ok life is just deaf to the challenges that many of us are facing and trying to navigate. It shouldn’t have to be that hard. If philly wants to continue to grow and thrive, we need policies that help build the middle class, and not tear us down.
100%

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
One other thing to note...I'm pretty certain renovations/full rehabs to existing homes - still gets the full 10year abatement.

So, there's a chance that enacting this will encourage buyers and developers to look for rehab projects as opposed to demos and build-from-scratch - like you'd see a lot in G-Ho. The affect should be increased preservation of existing housing stock.
Bingo! You are correct about the full abatement for renovations (and for commercial property new construction).

I'd have to look it up, but I recall that the 10 year abatements aren't codified in just a single ordinance, but 3 or possibly 4 different ones for different classes of properties and new construction versus renovations.

[Looks it up…]

Here you go: https://www.phila.gov/OPA/Abatements...batements.aspx

Which Abatement is Right for Your Property?

Development Abatement for New or Improved Residential Properties (State Act 175) — An abatement (for up to 30 months) from Real Estate Taxes during new construction of single and multiple dwellings constructed for residential purposes or improvements to existing unoccupied residential dwellings or improvements to existing structures for purposes of conversion to residential dwellings.

Rehab Construction for Residential Properties (Ordinance 961) — A ten-year abatement from Real Estate Taxes on improvements to existing residential properties containing one or more units. (Ordinary upkeep and maintenance are not improvements). Available for single family homes, duplexes, apartments, and condos. Not available for hotels.

Rehab & New Construction for Commercial & Industrial Properties (Ordinance 1130) — A ten-year abatement from Real Estate Taxes on new construction or improvements to deteriorated industrial, commercial or other business properties. (Ordinary upkeep and maintenance are not considered improvements.) Not intended for residential properties.

New Construction for Residential Properties (Ordinance 1456-A)— A ten-year abatement from Real Estate Taxes for new construction of residential properties. Available for single-family homes, duplexes, apartments, and condos. Not available for hotels.

Last edited by Jayfar; Dec 4, 2019 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 5:00 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
The taxes here were already some of the highest in the country…
New Jersey says, "Hold my beer!"

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
New Jersey says, "Hold my beer!"
Ha. Totally. NJs are bad.

But one point related to home, NJ has higher property tax rates but the transfer tax is only 1% compared to Phillys 4.2%. So Philly is hitting people with massive upfront costs and now massive backend recurring taxes. It’s very unfriendly tax policy to have barriers on up front capital and high taxes in the backend too.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 5:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
It's a better investment to buy in PA in the Philly Metro Area. In general, higher property taxes hold down property values. A 600k home in NJ will pay more taxes than a 600k home in Philly/Philly burbs. Therefore, one cannot really recoup property taxes when they are paid for, but if the value of your property holds up, then higher property value is the better bet when you go to sell.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
25 floors is a nice height for the area. We could see something well over 250'.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
See my comment above. I address your points. I looked into the rehab option as the first option when I was buying. The mortgage cost ended up not being feasible. I also lived through a renovation of my moms 130 year old house, I knew the challenges and hidden costs to know the challenges.

Unfortunately, my partner and I have aging parents who live out of state. So we don’t have time to take on the renovation and ourselves. We also needed a space where we could bring our parents here to us, and having more space and lower maintenance costs of a newer house made me sense for our family. Renovating a house and trying to house parents with mobility issues wouldn’t be a good fit. This isn’t unique to me, 1/4 of Millennials are dealing with similar issues too.

Your comments are pretty insensitive as I’m not crying over my marble countertops. I don’t care about that in the slightest, but financially and family wise, Millennials have challenges that are different than other generations prior. And I’m being honest when I say I would never have been able to buy a house in philly that meets the needs of my family life if it weren’t for the abatements.

As for what’s next, I don’t know. The taxes in philly are really high. If we want to have children and we have to take on our parents being here more, that’s going to require a bigger house. There are plenty on the market in philly that I’d love to consider, but I’m not sure I can afford to both buy and sell a house again in Philly bc now I’ll be hit with the massive transfer tax of the sell and the buy plus the tax increase on property and land. So it might be more feasible to buy outside the city now than it was. I honestly don’t know.
I'm not trying to be insensitive and you're clearly impassioned about this issue and you're making very reasonable points. As a millennial, again, I sympathize.

A few other points:

I wasn't suggesting buying a gut-job - tear down rehab. I agree that's a huge burden. But how about just a house with a dated kitchen, formica counter tops, linoleum in a bathroom, wallpaper along one hallway? Great bones, totally live-able - small projects here and there that will add a ton of value. That'll knock 100k off the price in a good 'hood and help off-set the tax burden. That's what most people do. Millennials (not saying you) often want what they want when they want it. They want the roofdeck view and the stainless steel, and they want it now, dammit.

I just find it unreasonable to believe that the only thing that would suit your family life is a brand new, abated, house/condo. It's what you wanted - which is fine. I think this will just shift buying patterns - less roof deck views, more sweat equity in good, existing stock.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I'm not trying to be insensitive and you're clearly impassioned about this issue and you're making very reasonable points. As a millennial, again, I sympathize.

A few other points:

I wasn't suggesting buying a gut-job - tear down rehab. I agree that's a huge burden. But how about just a house with a dated kitchen, formica counter tops, linoleum in a bathroom, wallpaper along one hallway? Great bones, totally live-able - small projects here and there that will add a ton of value. That'll knock 100k off the price in a good 'hood and help off-set the tax burden. That's what most people do. Millennials (not saying you) often want what they want when they want it. They want the roofdeck view and the stainless steel, and they want it now, dammit.

I just find it unreasonable to believe that the only thing that would suit your family life is a brand new, abated, house/condo. It's what you wanted - which is fine. I think this will just shift buying patterns - less roof deck views, more sweat equity in good, existing stock.
Appreciate your response. Truthfully, I’m not against paying more in taxes nor 100% against reform of the abatements. But i feel like there’s a good bit of mischaracterization about who is living in the houses (very skewed talking points in most cases) and the pocket book benefits that’s often missing from the discussion which is why I spoke up. Just trying to share insight into how they work and why they help people.

When I first started looking to buy it was a reaction to rental property shortage driving up rent. My rent jumped from $850/month to $1500 after they did renovations. I realized that was in line with standard in philly and realized I could have a 3 bedroom / 1600 sq ft house for roughly $1350/month for 10 years. That’d save me money from rent and allow my parents to visit more and more longer stays.

First, I looked at older properties that needed renovation. The stock of bigger homes was limited. And even buying in places like Kensington could set me back $250k to $350k, it’s even more now. So that would mean I’d have to pay around $500 a month in taxes and take a loan out to do renovations. Compare that to buying a $300k new home, having no taxes, no renovation loan, and lower house maintenance costs and it was obvious the newer home was a better move. That’s before considering many old homes don’t have central air or energy efficient appliances which save me money each month, good for environment, and also help maintain comfort for parents.

When I first moved in, it was about space and money. Since then though, I’ve found that the amenities like the rooftop deck invaluable. It provides such a pleasant place to relax, get away when too many people are in the house, entertain some, and most importantly grow some produce again to save money and be environmentally friendly. Honestly, I’d really miss not having that space in the future.

So my house isn’t originally what I wanted, but it’s drastically improved my quality of life and made living in the city much better than the previous 10 years of renting. Honestly, I wish they’d do the opposite of restricting the abatements and instead expand them To encourage more affordable options and also encourage more house renovations. It’d be economically good for the city but most importantly make it more livable for residents of all income levels. Modernizing the city and people’s quality of life is great for the city and society.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
I would have never been able to buy without the tax abatement given my partners massive student loan payments that eat up $800/month. A lot of millennials are going to be impacted bc the abatements made buying possible with monthly payments less than or equal to monthly rent.
Not necessarily.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes this will change their overall cost structure. I saw the abatement at work first hand when I used to sit on the NLNA zoning committee.

Zoning (in general) and the abatement affect the value of the land more than anything else. If anything, it will reduce land prices to offset the increase in other costs. As the abatement isn't actually received by the developer (unless the developer is building multi-family they intend to hold), developers will just hold out for better prices on land to make their numbers work.

The same will happen for residential lots. At the end of the day, if the top line number that a given neighborhood can support on an abated property is say, $600K, what will likely happen is that the top line number will drop to $550k.

I think the value of the abatement is psychological more than anything else. I think it helps to attract suburbanites who have a narrative that the city is more expensive than the suburbs...and this helps them to psychologically offset that narrative.

It's not actually saving them any money, because they paid more for the abated property than they would have for a non-abated property and their monthly carrying costs will likely be net-neutral.

That is unless, of course, you buy your abated property cash and aren't carrying a mortgage.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Not necessarily.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes this will change their overall cost structure. I saw the abatement at work first hand when I used to sit on the NLNA zoning committee.

Zoning (in general) and the abatement affect the value of the land more than anything else. If anything, it will reduce land prices to offset the increase in other costs. As the abatement isn't actually received by the developer (unless the developer is building multi-family they intend to hold), developers will just hold out for better prices on land to make their numbers work.

The same will happen for residential lots. At the end of the day, if the top line number that a given neighborhood can support on an abated property is say, $600K, what will likely happen is that the top line number will drop to $550k.

I think the value of the abatement is psychological more than anything else. I think it helps to attract suburbanites who have a narrative that the city is more expensive than the suburbs...and this helps them to psychologically offset that narrative.

It's not actually saving them any money, because they paid more for the abated property than they would have for a non-abated property and their monthly carrying costs will likely be net-neutral.

That is unless, of course, you buy your abated property cash and aren't carrying a mortgage.
No denying some of what you said is likely true. Though it’s all about perspectives. Your underlying assumption seems to be though that the old housing stock and new abated properties are equal. After living in older houses and now the new, I don’t see that as the case as the new homes are more spacious, better layouts, more energy efficient, better amenities, etc. In short, people are paying more for a different quality of life than many of the older houses can support without significant investment, if at all.

I don’t say the above in a negative way. We all love older homes and preservation on here. But the newer houses, though lacking in character and quality in many areas, provide massive gains in other places. Choosing to live in the new vs old house is almost like choosing to live in condo vs townhome, neither are bad or good but each provide different benefits that might align with different types of buyers.

The financials were a factor for me. I did a ton of analysis. I actually saved a lot of money off the new house vs the old. It’s not just a myth. The numbers of going into the new house save tens of thousands over a decade when I compared the cost to numbers I had from living in an older property. But achieving that depends on where you buy and when. I bought right on the fringe of East Kensington before it exploded so it worked out great for me though I had to deal with 4 or 5 years of life on the fringe, crime, drugs, etc before the dev pushed me more towards the middle than the edge.

I’m thankful for the abatements and what it’s enabled in Kensington and the city. It’s been amazing for revamping our housing stock and modernizing the city.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:10 AM

Welp, then there's this

Developers may soon be required to give back to Philly neighborhoods where they build

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191205.html

These guys - specifically Darrell Clarke and Kenyatta Johnson, are fucking jackasses.

This is a straight out assault on development in Philadelphia if I've ever seen one. Are they singlehandedly trying to slow down development in Philadelphia? Yep.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:11 AM

Residential tower planned by N.Y. developer Durst near Ben Franklin Bridge could rise 25 stories

Quote:
The Durst Organization plans a residential tower of up to 25 stories on the parking lot it is in the process of acquiring from the city just north of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.

The New York-based developer opted for a high, narrow tower — instead of a shorter, wider building — so it could concentrate construction on the southern end of the Columbus Boulevard property between Vine and Callowhill Streets, spokesperson Anthony Campisi said.

According to the document, which was shared with The Inquirer, the 347,000-square-foot structure’s bottom three stories will consist mostly of parking, with about 10,600 square feet of retail on the ground floor.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191204.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Developers may soon be required to give back to Philly neighborhoods where they build

These guys - specifically Darrell Clarke and Kenyatta Johnson, are fucking jackasses.

This is a straight out assault on development in Philadelphia if I've ever seen one. Are they singlehandedly trying to slow down development in Philadelphia? Yep.
What can I do to help not let this pass?

Edit: eh, I'm actually not entirely opposed to this one. The article even says that most of the real estate community likes this proposal.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:10 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
build it. we need more towers along Delaware river and taller towers for that matter. durst is a big name developer with well known properties. hope they fully develop all the piers under their control in the long term.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Dec 5, 2019 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Edit: eh, I'm actually not entirely opposed to this one. The article even says that most of the real estate community likes this proposal.
Well, replacing the minority party seats on council held by the GOP with the Working Families Party sure won’t help. Granted, the Republicans in Philadelphia aren’t much of an opposition party but they do push back on these types of proposals.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Residential tower planned by N.Y. developer Durst near Ben Franklin Bridge could rise 25 stories

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191204.html

This is good new;
I wish we could get something 35 or 45 or even higher in that location. We never see anything above 40 floors east of 12th street and if we did image how it would spread the skyline out?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
This is good new;
I wish we could get something 35 or 45 or even higher in that location. We never see anything above 40 floors east of 12th street and if we did image how it would spread the skyline out?
I think this will impact the skyline even at 25 stories. This is progress. Plus, that same developer bought the marina and the 2 piers on either side, right across the street. This is just phase 1 of their plan.

This site is going to be huge.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:

According to the article, the Building Industry Association and the Chamber of Commerce support it while it was criticized by residents, so I'm not sure what we're angry about here.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Yeah. The idea is that CBAs are currently a free-for-all onslaught that developers have to deal with behind the scenes with, sometimes, out-of-control resident associations. This brings the whole process above-board, and gives it an actual framework for how it will work.

"straight out assault" - give me a break.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations