HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:11 PM

It's nice to see SL Green building this tower, in part, as an "icon" - showing some pride in design and the towers impact on the city. That exact lack of civic pride plagued New York with monstrosities like MSG and cheaply built, unimaginative office boxes.

Towers like 1 Vanderbilt, 10/30 HU and of course, 111w 57th street, among others, give me hope that the old era is dead and iconic, quality towers will once again be the norm.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:29 PM
Ascension

This building has been growing on me for quite some time. Really looking forward to seeing it complete.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:38 PM
Mr. Technology

As One Vanderbilt raises the roof,
the city celebrates a supertall that
will transform Grand Central yet again!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:48 PM

One Vandy is really growing on me, especially since the new renderings were released.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 9:30 PM
Ascension

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 1:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It's nice to see SL Green building this tower, in part, as an "icon" - showing some pride in design and the towers impact on the city. That exact lack of civic pride plagued New York with monstrosities like MSG and cheaply built, unimaginative office boxes.

Towers like 1 Vanderbilt, 10/30 HU and of course, 111w 57th street, among others, give me hope that the old era is dead and iconic, quality towers will once again be the norm.

This building is truly a gift to the city, in the sense that the developer intends to build an icon, not just office space. The same can be said of 111 W. 57th as far as builing icons goes.

But regardless of design, this has always been a special development because of what it means to and for Midtown East. It's at the heart of the heart of New York, where new, modern office space is set to rise again.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This building is truly a gift to the city, in the sense that the developer intends to build an icon, not just office space. The same can be said of 111 W. 57th as far as builing icons goes.

But regardless of design, this has always been a special development because of what it means to and for Midtown East. It's at the heart of the heart of New York, where new, modern office space is set to rise again.
Agreed. While I still have criticisms for the building as a whole, it's obvious the architect made a substantial effort to create a modern building that IS New York. It really is great.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 8:00 PM

Ugh, this tower is just everything and then some.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 2:43 AM
BANNED

That rendering is the best thing I've ever seen on SSP. One real shame, however, is it took about 2 minutes until I noticed Tower Verre...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 3:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 10:43 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This building is truly a gift to the city, in the sense that the developer intends to build an icon, not just office space.
We can all agree on this one!
  • SuperTall Height
  • Central Location
  • Grand Design
  • Visible on the Skyline

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 1:09 AM
Mr. Technology

Up, Up and Away!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 3:04 AM

If only Tower Verre was this height...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 9:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Demo Status:

Credit: Walpole

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 10:41 PM

Seems to be moving along at a decent pace.

Did you manage to see how other buildings are faring?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Seems to be moving along at a decent pace.

Did you manage to see how other buildings are faring?
If its directed to me, not at the moment. I'm planning to be in NYC after Christmas. Possibly this weekend. Photo tour one can say. I'll be sure to check it out. If you PM Walpole on yimby, he can probably tell you a bit more as he works around the area. Compared to last month, they are hauling on the demo. I do wish this could start up immediately though. Impatient one can say, especially with the CPT tower. Seems stagnant, but a lot of work is occurring.

Based on the photo evidence I've seen from various contributors on other sites, a lot of projects are starting up. Equipment and demo coming on sites and so on. Times Square hotel being one, 12-18 West 55th, and 15 East 30th which will be 825 ft. Most of these will start in Q1 as its really demo thats wrapping up. We also have wtc2 which will begin. These are just a couple of examples. LIC though has a lot of sites in the demo stage. The boom continues!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:46 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/12/...idtown-review/

Beyond the Chrysler Building
SL Green’s One Vanderbilt to bring most radical change to Grand Central area since the iconic Art Deco tower went up

December 18, 2015
By James Gardner

Quote:
One Vanderbilt, which will soon break ground on one of the key corners of East 42nd Street, is certain to alter the area in profound ways.
From river to river, 42nd Street is, of course, one of the iconic thoroughfares of Manhattan — a hive of constant and frantic life. But its character is hardly continuous along its two miles.

For more than a half century, the stretch from Fifth Avenue to about Second Avenue has been a fairly uninspiring stretch of office buildings. Many of these buildings, dating to the earlier part of the 20th century, are of impressive size but of no great architectural distinction. Then there are the Art Deco palaces of the 1920s and ’30s, like the Chrysler Building and the former Daily News Building, that also line the stretch, and post-war office towers such as the Socony-Mobil Building.

More recently, 42nd Street has seen additions like Skidmore, Owings & Merrill’s 300 Madison Avenue, in 2003, and Kohn Pedersen Fox’s 505 Fifth Avenue, two years later.

Although those last two buildings are quite tall, they have hardly altered the general spirit of the place.

But the new building that is set to rise on the corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and 42nd Street, a 64-story, 1.7-million-square-foot office tower being developed by SL Green Realty and designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox, will represent a more fundamental change than anything this part of Manhattan has seen since the construction of the Chrysler Building. In fact, it will be the first tower in Midtown East to exceed that iconic building in height.
The new building — whose anchor tenant, TD Bank, will occupy 200,000 square feet of office space — promises to be one of the tallest in the city and the world. In exchange for approval from the city to rise 1,500 feet, SL Green will pay for $220 million in public infrastructure improvements in and around Grand Central Station.

The tower, which is scheduled for completion in 2020, will likely herald a new age of supertall buildings along Vanderbilt Avenue. In addition to greenlighting One Vanderbilt, the City Council also approved the rezoning of the Vanderbilt Corridor, a five-block stretch from 42nd to 47th streets. The change should be similar in certain respects to the arrival of those enormous residential structures on 57th Street along Billionaires’ Row.

For the most part, friends and foes of the project have been discussing this new project in terms of its effect on Grand Central Station. But the far more radical change will occur on Madison Avenue and on the entire block between Madison and Vanderbilt.....
Read more in the link.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 2:25 PM

I keep waiting for this building to get started. What is the delay?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 4:20 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandedCow View Post
I keep waiting for this building to get started. What is the delay?
Pretty sure they still have a significant amount of demo to complete. Should start 2016 I believe.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 7:55 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

So with five days to go....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive