HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trans National Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 7:36 AM

This thing better get u/c by the time my friends and I go road tripping to Boston some time around... uhh... when we start to organize things better...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 10:27 AM

Obviously, it's reminiscent of the NYTimes tower, but also of Rogers' design for the WTC.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 6:38 PM
Go Pens!

I actually like that quite a bit, i'm usually for crowns and spires etc. but this is sleek and has a great look to it.

It sort of takes on a Museum Park (Chicago) and Pelli look.

Plus i think the og design (w/ the spire/crown) was kinda weak in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2006, 8:57 PM

The SST looks like it's sportin' a mohawk for a hairdo.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 4:57 AM

What's the height for SST. I would like to see a skyline angle with both new towers together.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 7:16 PM

I'd be sincerely disappointed if this is indeed the final design. For a city so rich in great, classic architecture- the state house, the christian science church, Trinity church, the Custom House, etc. the fact that all of its high rises are nothing but big ugly boxes is upsetting. For the first time in 3 decades Boston will have a new tallest building, and something of a substantial size, and it's just a big green box, while cities like Nashville are getting grander (and taller) towers. Nothing about it says "tallest building in New England".

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 8:26 PM

And at the same time, a welcome diversion from its apparent inspiration - the exceedingly ugly Prudential Center.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91
What's the height for SST. I would like to see a skyline angle with both new towers together.

Around 675'.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 9:58 PM
Hard worker

okay design...but please lord, no rods!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 1:02 AM

I really like the look of the South Station Tower.

I don't mind Renzo's design either. I would prefer it without the garish light rod thingie but I kinda like the slender glass box look. While many of Boston's buildings are boxy in appearance, few are slender, all glass/steel, and rise to such a great height.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Well, I say that it's high time that Boston get an office tower that will be taller than the JHT!!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 8:34 PM

The Associated Press has a nice story on the building, and what it would mean to Boston:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061119/...boston_skyline

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 8:44 PM

Quote:
"I think the sight for this new building is so prime that it's the last of the great downtown building sites in Boston," said Nelson, of Cushman Wakefield.
How sad.

Quote:
Finally, things are looking up — 1,000 feet and 75 stories up
I hope it's 75 true stories and not a sad trick to make believe.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 8:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Officials in Boston and other U.S. cities typically seek to rein in developers' wishes to build high above neighboring office buildings, but the sky was the limit for Menino. He encouraged a bold architectural statement to surpass the John Hancock Tower, which for three decades has stood as New England's tallest building at 60 stories and 792 feet.

Belkin wants to call his skyscraper Trans National Place, after his company, Trans National Group.

There is no specific timeline for the project, and the city says it's review process could involve more than one stage before the final building design is approved. But real estate industry officials say they're optimistic the project will be built, given the recent rebound in the downtown office space market.
Always good news when cities decide to go for new tallest. We've been seeing a lot of that lately.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 10:45 PM

is the spire 1000 feet or the roof?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 1:18 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

^^^
Roof 1000, spire 1150 or somthing

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 1:05 PM

Quote:

What does the other side look like ? I wonder if the spire is centered with respect to the other face.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 9:09 PM

Renderings of other angles have not been released yet unfortunately...hopefully we'll see some other renderings released soon.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 10:29 PM

at least the glass breaks up all that brown..

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 1:38 AM

Here's some info I got from going to the Boston Redevelopment Authority's office, but pictures were prohibited

I now have a much more favorable opinion on this project than before. Although the boxiness still leaves plenty to be desired, the details more than make up for it. There's about an acre's worth of public space on the ground floor, and, like shiz already said, Devonshire Street is demapped in front of the building (it will now lead underground to the parking garage and loading docks), creating one big continuous open space with Winthrop Square. Given the security concerns, just how open the indoor space will be remains to be seen, but on paper it looks great. There will be some smaller retail areas off to the side of the open space, along with what looked to be one entire floor's worth in the level just below ground. Overall retail space is supposed to be around 40k square feet.

The tower's lobby is located in the northwestern portion of the site, filling in the space that 101 Federal wraps around. Escalators will bring you up approximately 50 feet from ground level to where the elevator banks begin, and the actual office floors start 20 feet above that. The exterior spire/shaft also holds four elevators which will make stops at the 31st/32nd and 47th/48th floors transfer/mechanical zones, along with all the way up to the restaurant level. The shaft will also hold what looked to be solar or reflective panels up near the top, getting thicker with them the higher you went (the diagonal lines seen in the restaurant section above). So although this shaft looks rather dinky in the first rendering, in reality it will be pretty substantial (4 elevator shafts plus lobby space).

Along with the environmental panels on the exterior elevator shaft, there will also be other reflective panels on the outside of the tower itself, placed about 650 ft up (the white things visible in the original rendering) that, combined with reflective panels mounted on top of surrounding buildings such as 101 Federal, will direct sunlight down to the vegetation at ground level. The glass will also be "low emission" and up to triple glazed, depending on which cardinal direction it will face. And although I didn't see it anywhere else, it looked like there was some kind of second skin on the northern facade, a la the ceramic rods used on Renzo's New York Times tower. That building was shown more than a few times throughout the book more or less as an example as to how to design in a green manner, and it's quite obvious that this tower is through and through a product of Renzo Piano.

A diagram I did based on the images:

Other stats:

Height: 1,087 ft to the floor of the roof garden (glass extends up another 20-25 ft), 1,270 ft to the top of spire

Width/Length: 140 x 140 ft (not including exterior shaft), 32 x 32 ft structural bays

1.336m sf office space, 40k sf retail, 54k sf indoor public area (not including roof zen garden),1200 parking spaces, and 40.3k mechanical space
Total = 1.470 million square feet[/quote]

So there it is... taller than the Empire State Building!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive