HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Was that Tim Hortons relatively new? I lived at that corner back in about 1996 and I don't really remember a Tim's being there. I was a university student so I would have been there all the time I'm sure.

And the neighbourhood wasn't that bad, from what I remember.
Parts of the neighbourhood are fine. The immediate area around a large institution for the homeless is where the problems are most visible.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
I think it's laughable someone would consider Centennial the worst area in Winnipeg.
I kind of figured there would be some backlash on that one. I suppose people have different ideas of what makes a neighbourhood shitty... but it's fair to say that people generally opt for a bland and calm neighbourhood over a chaotic, high crime one. Which is why Centennial is mostly made up of people with few other options who leave as soon as they can. The real estate prices and rents reflect that.

The thing about Centennial is that unlike the North End and Spence part of the West End, it isn't even particularly attractive. Maybe at one time it was, but 60+ years of neglect have made it mostly drab and ugly.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:27 AM

For Timmins excluding our scary downtown:

Definitely Schumacher. Lots of homelessness, addicts and used needles. It originally started off as a place for squatters looking for work in the early mining days and more recently has become a place for squatters due to addiction and mental heath issues. There is a community of tents in the bush nearby that house many as well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
My wife and I once stayed at an AirBnB in in a sort of townhome area at the corner of King Edward and Cathcart, right by the river, and were pretty amazed at how much of a skid row King Edward Ave was. It didn't necessarily seem unsafe to walk through, but it was definitely unpleasant in the sense that you knew you were invariably going to be accosted by assholes.

Needles to say, we avoided that stretch of the street.
I know of 1 BB right in that area you had described and on Cathcart, so it may of been the same one you stayed at..The city was building a tunnel underneath that section, so we had to monitor and keep a close eye on some homes for potential movement. Was it a yellow house adjacent to a long, low rise apartment building?

re: Ottawa in general..I agree Heathrington, parts of Vanier and Bayshore.
To me, lowertown is the worse. Not all of it, but mainly along King Edward. between Rideau and the Bridge to Quebec as Rousseau described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
For Timmins excluding our scary downtown:

Definitely Schumacher. Lots of homelessness, addicts and used needles. It originally started off as a place for squatters looking for work in the early mining days and more recently has become a place for squatters due to addiction and mental heath issues. There is a community of tents in the bush nearby that house many as well.
Ya it's sad to see how bad that downtown has gotten..I was a little taken back when I visited a dew years ago..It used to be real thriving and healthy. Typical of other small towns once the chains moved in I suppose..Schumacher was always sketchy..I guess it has gotten worse.

Last edited by Razor; Sep 2, 2021 at 10:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Depends on your definition of shitty.

Hamilton seems to have something for everyone. Four examples:

#1 - Rumpled, gritty, down-on-your-luck neighbourhoods: try any one of the ones east of downtown, roughly between John and Sherman, from King and Main to north of Barton... and again around Kenilworth Ave.

#2 - Pockets of industrial-area homes where real estate is cheap but the water bills will be high if you want to keep washing off the black/grey dust and grime that collects on everything, every day: anything along Burlington St., east of Wellington (and there are a surprising number of them)

#3 - Rougher suburban neighbourhoods where gang activity has grown and the kids have little to do: can be found in many blocks all across the central mountain roughly bisected by the Lincoln Alexander Parkway ("The Linc"), and parts of upper and lower Stoney Creek too.

#4 - Outer suburbia, if that's not your thing, where the homes can be nice but age fast, the box retail is plentiful, and you need a car (or two, or three) to get anywhere unless you really like to walk or take your life into your hands cycling: Ancaster, Waterdown, upper and eastern Stoney Creek, Binbrook, Glanbrook where it meets the original city.

However, despite their nature, they're not all bad. The good sides:

#1 - While the odds are high you'll run into a crackhead or prostitute trolling the streets, there are still a lot of very nice friendly people in those areas who look out for each other. Many are still home to residents who have lived there for decades and remained after their kids moved and they retired; not that that makes them nice by default, but plenty are salt-of-the-earth characters with common sense. And similar neighbourhoods in the lower city have rebounded from their lows or are starting to do so.

#2 - Heavy industry in Hamilton is slowly evolving, and even the steel mills may be much cleaner if new money leads to the technology the purse-holder says it can. And many of the houses, while cheap, are solid.

#3 - I'm afraid these areas will go down, before they go back up.

#4 - If suburbia *IS* your thing, you can have your slice of heaven.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 2, 2021 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Parts of the neighbourhood are fine. The immediate area around a large institution for the homeless is where the problems are most visible.
You're right. Most everything west of King Edward is fine except the immediate vicinity of that facility.

East of King Edward and north of Rideau is generally not very nice though.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
25 30 years ago I lived by Ste Helene and Sacre-Coeur and worked at T.d.l.Chaudiere and walked up Eddy to work. Back in those days the 2 mills were still quite busy and at 730 in the morning there were actually "working girls" on Eddy catching the guys after their night shift. Guess they can work shift work too! Was never uncomfortable, but always sketchy.

EDIT - I just did the math and it was 30 years ago ... shyte
They'd also catch the odd public servant coming in to work at Terrasses or Portage.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Was that Tim Hortons relatively new? I lived at that corner back in about 1996 and I don't really remember a Tim's being there. I was a university student so I would have been there all the time I'm sure.

And the ngighbourhood wasn't that bad, from what I remember.
Before there was a Timmies there it was an oil change place.

I guess they thought a Timmies was a good idea because thousands of vehicles go by there every day, but I guess enough people didn't stop. There was no drive-thru plus the undesirable locals coming in on foot probably kept people away too.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:22 PM
sick transit, gloria

I lived in Herongate Village in Ottawa for a couple years in my undergrad. While it's in the process of being redeveloped, it and some of the surrounding townhouse projects definitely qualified. A friends car was broken into 3 times in the span of 2 months before she got scared and had her parents get her a new place. I was also threatened on the street with violence a few times. That being said, as an extremely poor student I didn't really mind as rent was dirt cheap and we actually had a lot of space - I'm sure some of the families being pushed out now feel the same way.

Lots of those style of townhouse complexes sprinkled around Ottawa within the Greenbelt - it's definitely grittier than one may expect.

For Toronto I agree about the Weston Rd corridor in general. Also the few blocks around Moss Park downtown, though the character changes very quickly.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Before there was a Timmies there it was an oil change place.

I guess they thought a Timmies was a good idea because thousands of vehicles go by there every day, but I guess enough people didn't stop. There was no drive-thru plus the undesirable locals coming in on foot probably kept people away too.
I wonder how the new Holiday Inn Express just across the road is faring. Honestly, maybe I should not say that because “people” as per one of the comments above, but the area is legit bad. I am not walking within a two street radius of that stretch of King-Edward.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 2:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I wonder how the new Holiday Inn Express just across the road is faring. Honestly, maybe I should not say that because “people” as per one of the comments above, but the area is legit bad. I am not walking within a two street radius of that stretch of King-Edward.
Why walk when you can simply drive through or around any potential problem?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Did I dream or did that hotel sign an agreement of some kind with the Shepherds of Good Hope to house homeless people?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Did I dream or did that hotel sign an agreement of some kind with the Shepherds of Good Hope to house homeless people?
I haven’t heard anything about this, nor could I find info about such agreement. All I know is that the owner may have be in talks with the City last year to sell the building and turn it into a housing facility for the homeless. It was brought up by a member in the thread dedicated to this project in the Ottawa subforum but I have no idea how reliable that piece of information is.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 4:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

It used to be real thriving and healthy. Typical of other small towns once the chains moved in I suppose..Schumacher was always sketchy..I guess it has gotten worse.

Yep. By zoning all that big box barf on the peripheries, we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Exchange a formerly vibrant (if not, at least eclectic and interesting) downtown for a shitty/banal smartcentres and stroads. Exchange walking for prickup trucks. The story of most smaller and medium sized cities in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I haven’t heard anything about this, nor could I find info about such agreement. All I know is that the owner may have be in talks with the City last year to sell the building and turn it into a housing facility for the homeless. It was brought up by a member in the thread dedicated to this project in the Ottawa subforum but I have no idea how reliable that piece of information is.
OK that must be what I was thinking of, and now that I give it some more thought, I may have mixed it up with the Hôtel Place Dupuis in downtown Montreal that was turned into housing for the homeless. Not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Why walk when you can simply drive through or around any potential problem?
I mean, sure that avoids the problem.

But what's the point of living or staying downtown if you're always going to be driving just two or three blocks to your destination?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:06 PM

I took a walk at lunchtime around New West SkyTrain Station, and I forgot how "shitty" that area is - literally. The amount of pigeon excrement is almost vomit-inducing. There are pigeons everywhere.

The sad thing is there are homeless people who live in that area.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:23 PM

Quote:
I mean, sure that avoids the problem.

But what's the point of living or staying downtown if you're always going to be driving just two or three blocks to your destination?
I think anyone not familiar with that intersection would be shocked that it exists just a half dozen blocks or so from the Hill.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I took a walk at lunchtime around New West SkyTrain Station, and I forgot how "shitty" that area is - literally. The amount of pigeon excrement is almost vomit-inducing. There are pigeons everywhere.

The sad thing is there are homeless people who live in that area.
Apparently someone comes around and feeds the pigeons every morning.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Depends on your definition of shitty.

Hamilton seems to have something for everyone. Four examples:

#1 - Rumpled, gritty, down-on-your-luck neighbourhoods: try any one of the ones east of downtown, roughly between John and Sherman, from King and Main to north of Barton... and again around Kenilworth Ave.

#2 - Pockets of industrial-area homes where real estate is cheap but the water bills will be high if you want to keep washing off the black/grey dust and grime that collects on everything, every day: anything along Burlington St., east of Wellington (and there are a surprising number of them)

#3 - Rougher suburban neighbourhoods where gang activity has grown and the kids have little to do: can be found in many blocks all across the central mountain roughly bisected by the Lincoln Alexander Parkway ("The Linc"), and parts of upper and lower Stoney Creek too.

#4 - Outer suburbia, if that's not your thing, where the homes can be nice but age fast, the box retail is plentiful, and you need a car (or two, or three) to get anywhere unless you really like to walk or take your life into your hands cycling: Ancaster, Waterdown, upper and eastern Stoney Creek, Binbrook, Glanbrook where it meets the original city.

However, despite their nature, they're not all bad. The good sides:

#1 - While the odds are high you'll run into a crackhead or prostitute trolling the streets, there are still a lot of very nice friendly people in those areas who look out for each other. Many are still home to residents who have lived there for decades and remained after their kids moved and they retired; not that that makes them nice by default, but plenty are salt-of-the-earth characters with common sense. And similar neighbourhoods in the lower city have rebounded from their lows or are starting to do so.

#2 - Heavy industry in Hamilton is slowly evolving, and even the steel mills may be much cleaner if new money leads to the technology the purse-holder says it can. And many of the houses, while cheap, are solid.

#3 - I'm afraid these areas will go down, before they go back up.

#4 - If suburbia *IS* your thing, you can have your slice of heaven.
Hard to argue with most of that. One thing I've noticed in my ~4 years here is that it can change pretty quickly neighbourhood-to-neighbourhood (maybe that's true everywhere, I haven't lived in a city before other than student houses on the outskirts of Kitchener). I live just east of Sherman/ north of King, and about a 5 minute walk one way takes to streets I wouldn't want to live on, and a 2 minute walk the other way are streets so nice I could never afford them.

My own street is nice enough, lots of kids out playing and stuff, but the cops also regularly show up to the triplex on the corner, and I suspect the other triplex is a drug dealer. But at least the sketchy people walking down my street are recognisable as people who do live here and not transients, and nobody ever bothers me. One or two minor thefts.

I think that Tim Hortons Field has an uplifting effect on the surrounding neighbourhoods. Whether that's due to greater effort from the city to keep it presentable, the desirability of being near THF leading to better homeowners, some sort of self reinforcing loop idk. But I get the impression that without THF then the quality would just continue declining as you move east from DT and north from the mountain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada