HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 9:44 PM

[Ancaster] 392 - 412 Wilson St E | 8 fl | ? m | Proposed

Marr-Phillipo House owners propose 8-storey, 169-unit mixed-use development for property in Ancaster

By Kevin Werner Reporter Ancaster News Mon., Jan. 24, 2022

The owners of the Wilson Street East property, where the Marr-Phillipo House is located, have proposed building an eight-storey mixed-use development that will include 169 residential units.

UrbanCore Developments and Spallacci Homes, which own the 0.8-hectare land, submitted the application for an Official Plan amendment and a zoning bylaw amendment to develop 392, 398, 400, 402, 406 and 412 Wilson St. E. and 15 Lorne Ave. The application also says the project will have 1,677 square metres (18,055 square feet) of commercial space.

The application is larger than what the owners had proposed in 2019, with 122 condominium units and 13,500 square feet of commercial space in a six-storey complex.

The Wilson Street East property had been the site of a gas station, which has prompted the owners to relocate the 1840 Marr-Phillipo House and remediate the land. The owners have said they would be applying to the city’s environmental remediation and site enhancement (ERASE) grant program to help defray the costs of an estimated $1.6-million cleanup.

Last year, council agreed to the owners’ permit to relocate the Marr-Phillipo House to the corner of the property on Lorne Avenue to begin the cleanup.

Both UrbanCore and Spallacci Homes did not return a request for comment on the application.

Sergio Manchia, an Ancaster resident and the principal of UrbanCore Developments, who is partnering with developer Frank Spallacci on the project, said to the Rotary Club of Ancaster A.M. in 2019 that the town’s three-storey height bylaw is obsolete, considering the realities of current development needs. The official plan for the area was adopted in 1984, but the prevailing development trend today is for higher-density development within existing urban boundaries.

“Frank and I are passionate about putting something up that we can all be very proud of and that will bring people to the community,” said Manchia at the time.

Ancaster Coun. Lloyd Ferguson, who has seen the application, said he “had a problem” with the height and would ask the owners to change it.

Bob Maton, president of the Ancaster Village Heritage Community, said the group is against any development that violates the Ancaster Wilson Street Secondary Plan. The document limits the height of projects to two and a half storeys, or 9.5 metres.

He said the eight storeys violate the plan, as does the seven-storey project at the corner of Wilson Street East and Rousseaux Street.

He said the secondary plan was created with public input about a decade ago.

“A similar process should be undertaken to decide if there is public will in Ancaster to revise the bylaw to allow these massive developments,” he said. “The process should be participatory and democratic, which this is not.”

In addition, the owners still have to fulfil the city’s requirements to relocate the Marr-Phillipo House before any development can begin.

There are 18 requirements that the owners must follow to protect the building. The building, the owners say, is currently on the site of the gas station and autobody shop that must be remediated to remove contaminants.

The historic structure is also in need of restoration work, including the removal of the rear attached structure and improvements required to mend the cracking foundation and stone walls.

“We are watching this carefully and will participate where we can,” Maton said.

https://www.thespec.com/local-ancast...eid=914e0b1e91

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:53 PM

8 Storeys is a bit aggressive for a village centre, and sure the economics can work quite handsomely at half that height. Surprised that these partners would push for more.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:58 PM

with the no urban boundary expansion vote, these kinds of densities are going to have to become more common. You can't shove all the new residents downtown.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
with the no urban boundary expansion vote, these kinds of densities are going to have to become more common. You can't shove all the new residents downtown.
Absolutely this. I've been arguing this from the start. If we want to have reasonable density downtown then you need to intensify other areas of the city. I'd like to see the city more aggressively zoning key transit corridors as well to encourage transit ridership and create interest outside downtown as well. Every storey here that gets lopped off the top is 22 units that has to go on a tighter property downtown adding multiple storeys there, or it needs to go somewhere else.

It's time for the suburbs to get the intensification they would have been going through already if amalgamation hadn't happened.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:02 PM

4 or 5 storeys in the Ancaster village core would be fine, and I've thought the core needs a little more diversification in the offerings. A blend of old and new can make it more vibrant and attractive for locals and visitors alike. But as far as the intensification argument is concerned - a grouping of 6-9 storey mixed use developments would be desireable farther out, closer to parking lot hell around the Walmart, Longos to create a viable corridor. Heck, why couldn't the LRT be brought out all the way to Shaver road and make it a one stop ride from there to downtown? It would connect residents with jobs, shopping, and even some conservation lands along the way up the hill!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Because King Ferguson would have to get his subjects to approve of a property tax rate change for transit.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Because King Ferguson would have to get his subjects to approve of a property tax rate change for transit.
You did mention this before... but I'll be the definition of insanity and continue to express this wish expecting different results every time.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkvedis Pods View Post
You did mention this before... but I'll be the definition of insanity and continue to express this wish expecting different results every time.
Hopefully some day the LRT line does become a network that runs up the mountain, out to Ancaster and Dundas, farther into Stoney Creek. What was old would be new again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydro-Electric_Railways
http://www.trainweb.org/hamtransithist/radials.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Hopefully some day the LRT line does become a network that runs up the mountain, out to Ancaster and Dundas, farther into Stoney Creek. What was old would be new again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydro-Electric_Railways
http://www.trainweb.org/hamtransithist/radials.html
Having spent a number of years in Los Angeles, you learn about the old trolley lines which criss crossed the metropolis. Tracks torn out. Buses take over. Carmaggedon on a daily basis.
Metro takes some bold steps and now has been on a firestorm building new lines from here to kingdom come. Quite remarkable, really. Amen - what was old is new again.
Actually with a bicycle + metro light rail lines I got around without a car on numerous trips.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:47 AM

Happily have more density throughout Ancaster - all along Garner and the kind of wasteland of the Walmart/Can Tire/Lowes /Longos grouping; Meadowlands infill and Old Golflinks Road . I do think the missing middle would be a great mix to add into the mostly sfd norm found in my town.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:55 PM

Can we just burn the plaza on Golf Links Rd to the ground? It's the largest commercial shopping area in the city and is such a total traffic mess. I hate it whenever I have to go there. The Wilson St plaza area isn't as bad IMO, the roundabouts do a good job of keeping things moving.. terrible urbanism aside, in which case it's arguably worse than the Golf Links Rd plaza.

The NIMBYism towards any sort of substantial height in old Ancaster is puzzling to me. I understand being against 20 storey towers or whatever, but ardently holding the 9.5 metre height limit (LOL! my house has an 11m height limit in a residential area!) is just silly.

If you ask me the people should be living in the most walkable areas where it's easiest to make trips without a car - and that's downtown Ancaster, not the Walmart Plaza across the 403.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Can we just burn the plaza on Golf Links Rd to the ground? It's the largest commercial shopping area in the city and is such a total traffic mess. I hate it whenever I have to go there. The Wilson St plaza area isn't as bad IMO, the roundabouts do a good job of keeping things moving.. terrible urbanism aside, in which case it's arguably worse than the Golf Links Rd plaza.

The NIMBYism towards any sort of substantial height in old Ancaster is puzzling to me. I understand being against 20 storey towers or whatever, but ardently holding the 9.5 metre height limit (LOL! my house has an 11m height limit in a residential area!) is just silly.
The town has character, dontcha know. But there is NO reason buildings between 4 and 8 or 9 floors can't complement that. Just don't approve shitty designs and make sure the final product will look like its renderings.

Ancaster more than any other suburb doesn't seem to have a lot of foot traffic on its "downtown" sidewalks, not to me anyway. Maybe it's just the times of day I have gone through there, and someone who lives near the central village area can correct me? These new buildings will add life, not take it away.

And I cannot stand shopping at the Meadowlands. I really only visit the Petsmart with any regularity, sometimes the Home Depot, and Winners and Staples more rarely. I avoid that Costco like the plague. The traffic flow through the entire complex is horrible and makes me want to yell every time I drive through it. Some people don't care though and it's just a way of life.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:01 PM

Fully agree that Wilson East had tke on more density and will be good to have more folks walking the strip - it is usually pretty quiet despite being pedestrian friendly.

I point to those heavy retail areas (Walmart and Meadowlands), as areas where there should be more residential density - they have the infrastructure (although I might argue meadowlands is already a traffic disaster), but do need more mass transit.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:35 PM

Ground hog day is coming up and Bill Murray teaches us alot about ourselves in eponymous movie of vast greatness. You want too much too soon, and it will take you right back to 6:30am with Sonny and Cher blaring from the alram clock radio. You want to think things through and develop in harmony with your surroundings. Hey look, there is a Walmart on Crenshaw Blvd. in Southish LA that is good with its streetscape.
But the streets around here are mostly so dull, and the dullness doesn't make going out for a regular walk an attractive option. But I wanna go out and exercise. But you gotta have a place to go to! I feel like every time I open up the front door to force myself to take the pooches out I'm in the same blasted day. The only consolation is that the Conservation area is within reach sans auto, and offers respite and relaxation.
To wit - if the centre of Ancaster grows up and becomes more colorful, I'd say the prospects of more pedestrians in the village are quite good. My wife keeps saying the same thing as me - no sidewalks in the immediate area, stress because of car traffic, you can't just shut down your guard because there always will be someone to watch out for. Hum drum architecture etc. etc. etc.
Caveat - it is better than the Meadowlands nonetheless.

Quote:
The town has character, dontcha know. But there is NO reason buildings between 4 and 8 or 9 floors can't complement that. Just don't approve shitty designs and make sure the final product will look like its renderings.

Ancaster more than any other suburb doesn't seem to have a lot of foot traffic on its "downtown" sidewalks, not to me anyway. Maybe it's just the times of day I have gone through there, and someone who lives near the central village area can correct me? These new buildings will add life, not take it away.

And I cannot stand shopping at the Meadowlands. I really only visit the Petsmart with any regularity, sometimes the Home Depot, and Winners and Staples more rarely. I avoid that Costco like the plague. The traffic flow through the entire complex is horrible and makes me want to yell every time I drive through it. Some people don't care though and it's just a way of life.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Ground hog day is coming up and Bill Murray teaches us alot about ourselves in eponymous movie of vast greatness. You want too much too soon, and it will take you right back to 6:30am with Sonny and Cher blaring from the alram clock radio. You want to think things through and develop in harmony with your surroundings. Hey look, there is a Walmart on Crenshaw Blvd. in Southish LA that is good with its streetscape.
But the streets around here are mostly so dull, and the dullness doesn't make going out for a regular walk an attractive option. But I wanna go out and exercise. But you gotta have a place to go to! I feel like every time I open up the front door to force myself to take the pooches out I'm in the same blasted day. The only consolation is that the Conservation area is within reach sans auto, and offers respite and relaxation.
To wit - if the centre of Ancaster grows up and becomes more colorful, I'd say the prospects of more pedestrians in the village are quite good. My wife keeps saying the same thing as me - no sidewalks in the immediate area, stress because of car traffic, you can't just shut down your guard because there always will be someone to watch out for. Hum drum architecture etc. etc. etc.
Caveat - it is better than the Meadowlands nonetheless.
Aside: you have one of the most unique usernames here. What is the genealogy of it? (mine stems from a fictitious cocktail noted in a popular 1980s sitcom... and yeah, for me the cucumber must be bruised lol)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Aside: you have one of the most unique usernames here. What is the genealogy of it? (mine stems from a fictitious cocktail noted in a popular 1980s sitcom... and yeah, for me the cucumber must be bruised lol)
Latvian: translation - Colonel Pot(ter), pot could be interpreted as you wish!

For me the regular perusing of the Hamilton section is educational. You put your roots down somewhere, and you want to get a handle on the community you live in. Just want to thank the folks who contribute here, and I want to try to do that as much as I am able.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Both names ending with -s is a dead giveaway for Latvian.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Or you're a M*A*S*H fan.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Or you're a M*A*S*H fan.
Oh sure! Back in the day it was the show to watch.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Oh sure! Back in the day it was the show to watch.
I watched re-runs into 2019-20. Still a great show!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs