HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTruth View Post
He was specifically referring to the city, not the metro area. And yes I suppose the city is technically growing according to most recent estimates.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Saint John County (city of SJ plus a bit extra)

2008 - 2012

76,468____ 76,926____ 77,104____ 77,270____ 77,318

That being said the growth is slowing down and between 2011 and 2012 it was a mere 48 person increase.
That's small enough for me to think of the population state in the city as "stagnant" and not "in growth mode" as sjuser was stating.
And if you would follow the trend it would imply that between 2012 and 2013 there would be either 0 growth or negative.

(data from StatsCan CANSIM table 051-0052)
The CMA does not grow on its own, the growth of the suburbs is dependent on the economics of the City. You saw in the past where the City proper has shrunk but the CMA has grown, we are in reality, one economic region, co-dependent and not separate due to some imaginary line drawn between SJ, rothesay, Quispamsis, Hampton, Grand Bay. We are all in it together so I think it is valid to look at the region as a whole. Quispam will not grow without economic growth of SJ and where the population of each may land is only important to those with a myopic view.
Regardless, the City itself shrunk for decades and has now reversed that into a growth mode. Need to look at the trend, not a year to year.
The office vacancy rate is also similar to the apartment vacancy rate, class A space is limited while there is a plethora of class C space. Slum rentals abound and good rentals have low vacancy. Median house prices are steady and starting to rise, good movements of housing stock. We are stable and in a few years will be booming.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 2:52 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuser23 View Post
We are all in it together so I think it is valid to look at the region as a whole.
As much as I agree with this sentiment I think it's unfortunate that Saint John's tax revenue cannot reflect those that work and utilize SJ's facilities whilst living outside of the imaginary lines dividing the communities.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As much as I agree with this sentiment I think it's unfortunate that Saint John's tax revenue cannot reflect those that work and utilize SJ's facilities whilst living outside of the imaginary lines dividing the communities.
Maybe not so much as a revenue issue but sharing expense issue? Either way, i think long term revenue and expenses for the region should be shared.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuser23 View Post
Maybe not so much as a revenue issue but sharing expense issue? Either way, i think long term revenue and expenses for the region should be shared.
It is!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 6:50 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTruth View Post
He was specifically referring to the city, not the metro area. And yes I suppose the city is technically growing according to most recent estimates.

Saint John County (city of SJ plus a bit extra)

2008 - 2012

76,468____ 76,926____ 77,104____ 77,270____ 77,318

That being said the growth is slowing down and between 2011 and 2012 it was a mere 48 person increase.
That's small enough for me to think of the population state in the city as "stagnant" and not "in growth mode" as sjuser was stating.
And if you would follow the trend it would imply that between 2012 and 2013 there would be either 0 growth or negative.

(data from StatsCan CANSIM table 051-0052)
Okay then, how about this (just the city):

2006: 68 043
2011: 70 063

Source: Census Canada.

Thats not very much, but 2000+ just the same. The only growth period since the 70's...and it's nice to see.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Okay then, how about this (just the city):

2006: 68 043
2011: 70 063

Source: Census Canada.

Thats not very much, but 2000+ just the same. The only growth period since the 70's...and it's nice to see.
Your absolutely right, the city is moving in the right direction. I think one thing that some posters are missing is that investing is about where something is HEADED, not where it has been or where it is at today. The same as the stock market, the goal is to invest when prices are low and you anticipate them going up. I think that is what investors are seeing in the city right now with all of the developments we have seen announced for uptown.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:15 PM

Spend money to open up Partridge Island and I think Saint John will be the toast of the Maritimes so much to see!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:07 PM

Some word on the Project. Unfortunately sounds like more of the same.

Taken from an article in this mornings TJ:

"One of the biggest and long-awaited projects on the agenda is the development of the $100-million Fundy Quay at the former Coast Guard site, now owned by the city. MacIntyre and his team have been in talks with an unnamed Canadian developer for more than a year on plans for a space that would include retail, commercial offices, hospitality, and residential units.

“It will be significant development,” MacIntyre says, adding the developer is in discussions with a number of tenants. “Things are moving along nicely and there doesn’t appear to be any hiccups.”

Excitement was building on the project last summer, after Common Council approved $200,000 in legal, survey and environmental planning costs that would only be spent once a deal is signed. At the time, MacIntyre said the officials were “very close” to signing off on a deal.

But the project hasn’t stalled, he says. The developer continues to visit the site to conduct geotechnical tests, determining the placement of concrete casements that would stabilize the shoreline construction project. Part of the delay comes from the fact that soil tests must be sent away for analysis, he says.

“He’s had crews here four times doing geotechnical analysis,” MacIntyre says. “A couple times they flew in by helicopter and landed right on the Coast Guard site.”

Meanwhile, an environmental study that will outline the plans required to remediate the site, along with an engineering report to outline specifications to develop the sea wall, are both expected within two weeks. As soon as the developer signs the deal, it could take up to a year before construction begins."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:39 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Slow and steady. Better to work out the kinks now than stumble on them later like what happened with the Hardman proposal.

That being said, the suspense is killing me!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:43 PM

Definitely good to see that things are still moving along. This is a massive PRIVATE investment in the city and province. We don't see this scale of projects very often so clearly important it is done correctly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:43 AM

I really hope to see this project start soon, because frankly it would be nice to see it completed before I turn 100 or what have you? Hopefully, this time it's a go.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 3:10 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
“A couple times they flew in by helicopter and landed right on the Coast Guard site.”
Well, if a helicopter is involved, it's definitely a done deal.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:44 AM

Another article in the TJ this weekend indicating things moving ahead with the site and that all the engineering studies are expected to be completed and a report given by the end of the month.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Another article in the TJ this weekend indicating things moving ahead with the site and that all the engineering studies are expected to be completed and a report given by the end of the month.
Great news, I can't wait. I hope it's worth the wait?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:40 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Great news, I can't wait. I hope it's worth the wait?
We all hope it's been worth the wait.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:18 PM

I have heard from two different reasonably reliable sources that the developer behind this is Canadian but not from NB. The development is moving forward and will feature the first Marriott hotel in NB which will be a 5 star hotel located in what will be the tallest building in New Brunswick.

Sounds like this one is going to be worth the wait!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:22 PM

I have been working in the background of this project and can tell you, there is no done deal, right now they are still talking back and forth, Marriott wants to go with a Residence Inn, like in the one in Moncton, but we are trying to convince them that it is worth the investment, but they aren't budging.

As for the tallest building in NB, I hate to burst the bubble on that but that is just a pipe dream, the height for this project is looking at 8-10 floors. I will keep you updated on the hotel situation and the height, but as of right now, we are looking at 8-10 Stories with a Residence Inn, there is just no way we can even justify building anything more than 12 at the highest, especially with the hotel vacancy rates being so high in Saint John during the winter months. I wish we could go taller, but it just wouldn't make sense.

The chances of a 5 star hotel in NB won't be happening anytime in this decade that's for sure.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Residence Inn in Moncton is quite nice and is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, our Keg restuarant is in the Residence Inn. Perhaps something like that would happen in the Fundy Quay development too…...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:31 PM

Still exciting that things are finally moving ahead

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 10:40 PM

Oh I mean't nothing against the Residence Inn I have stayed at the one in Moncton and they are top notch brand of the Marriott, we are just hoping to pull in a Renaissance or a JW Marriott... but I can not see that happening, just because they are usually in larger cities and supply a large number of rooms, which Saint John cannot support at this time. Maybe in 20 or 30 years when all these projects start bringing people back east.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces