HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Canada's Damian Warner strikes gold in Olympic decathlon

From London (Ontario), no less. Way to go!! I think that winning the Decathlon is arguably the most impressive of all Olympic achievements.

Quote:
Canada's Damian Warner strikes gold in Olympic decathlon
London, Ont., athlete sets Olympic record with 9,018 points

On a steamy night in Tokyo, Damian Warner was as cool as can be, recording the highest score ever in Olympic decathlon on his way to Canada's first gold medal in one of the Games' oldest and most storied events.

"It's been a long two days. When you go through the whole battle of the decathlon and finally finish and you get the result you were looking for, there is no greater feeling. This is a dream come true," Warner said.

"I've never been in this position when one of my dreams came true. I don't even know how to react right now," added Warner, who at 31 years old was the oldest competitor in this 21-man field.

Warner, whose 9,018 points are also a new Olympic record, made it known from the beginning of this two gruelling, two-day event that he was the man to beat in Tokyo and deserving of the unofficial title of "the world's greatest athlete."
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/s...ug-5-1.6130324

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Indeed. Arguably the world's best all-around athlete. Bravo!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:23 PM

Great job.

Olympic record in points too. The temperatures and humidity at these events are at incredible levels.

The classic events at the Olympics are usually the best ones. I wish they had more focus.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

The classic events at the Olympics are usually the best ones. I wish they had more focus.
Hear, hear!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:34 PM

Who would win the Lou Marsh? Degrasse who competes in the more glorious events or Warner who competes in the all around and quite noble event of decathlon? Can they split the award? Penny Oleksiak has already won before.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 4:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Geez, that's a really tough one...…..

If the award could be shared, that's what I would do.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And congratulation to Canada's women's soccer team - gold medal too!

We aren't winning many gold medals, but we seem to be winning some prestigious ones!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

yes indeed. It has been a "disown the Podium" Olympics, but the high profile gold medals take the sting out of our mediocre overall medal count.

Australia kicks ass at the Summer Olympics. We have had a better run with the Winter Olympics (Especially in Vancouver).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
yes indeed. It has been a "disown the Podium" Olympics, but the high profile gold medals take the sting out of our mediocre overall medal count.

Australia kicks ass at the Summer Olympics. We have had a better run with the Winter Olympics (Especially in Vancouver).
Canada has never been strong in the Summer Olympics. I think we are doing great this year.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Canada has never been strong in the Summer Olympics. I think we are doing great this year.
Yes and almost every country in the world is only good at one or the other (usually summer).

Congratulations to Sinclair and Grosso from Vancouver BC!!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago (70s-80s) that we sort of sucked at both the Summer and Winter Olympics (we did not win Gold in Montreal or Calgary).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago (70s-80s) that we sort of sucked at both the Summer and Winter Olympics (we did not win Gold in Montreal or Calgary).
Vancouver has to lead the way again. Don't worry, we're not tired of it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
If you take the 1984 Olympics out of the mix (because it was boycotted by a number of Eastern Bloc countries) this will be Canada's second-highest number of gold medals with six so far (highest was 1992 Barcelona with 7). So far we've received 22 medals, which is tied with 1996 Atlanta and 2016 Rio for the most.

Canadians are still competing in events, although I don't know what the likelihood of more medals are.

I don't understand how you think we have a mediocre overall medal count when it's literally tied for the most Canada's ever obtained in the Summer Olympics (other than 1984) and the games aren't even over yet.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
If you take the 1984 Olympics out of the mix (because it was boycotted by a number of Eastern Bloc countries) this will be Canada's second-highest number of gold medals with six so far (highest was 1992 Barcelona with 7). So far we've received 22 medals, which is tied with 1996 Atlanta and 2016 Rio for the most.

Canadians are still competing in events, although I don't know what the likelihood of more medals are.

I don't understand how you think we have a mediocre overall medal count when it's literally tied for the most Canada's ever obtained in the Summer Olympics (other than 1984) and the games aren't even over yet.
well, my comment was my mindset before today (we had a very good Friday). Also when I see how well the UK (and New Zealand) are doing, I feel like we are underperforming relative to our population. That is not to take anything away from the individual athletic performances.

I guess it is sort of like skyscrapers: many people want their city to have more.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
well, my comment was my mindset before today (we had a very good Friday). Also when I see how well the UK (and New Zealand) are doing, I feel like we are underperforming relative to our population. That is not to take anything away from the individual athletic performances.

I guess it is sort of like skyscrapers: many people want their city to have more.
Maybe you should wait until the Games are over before declaring them a failure or a success. It's not what happens during that's important, it's the result at the end. It's like shitting on Canada's men's 4x100 relay team for coming in fifth before De Grasse started running.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:

Medal counts are a bit fickle. No disrespect to an amazing athlete like Michael Phelps, but nobody is going to catch that kind of record simply because there are so many swimming events. To me he's on a similar level to somebody like Usain Bolt, maybe even lower.

Warner's medal is amazing. And stories like the Canadian Women's soccer team. It's not so much about the count of medals.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 5:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Medal counts are a bit fickle. No disrespect to an amazing athlete like Michael Phelps, but nobody is going to catch that kind of record simply because there are so many swimming events. To me he's on a similar level to somebody like Usain Bolt, maybe even lower.

Warner's medal is amazing. And stories like the Canadian Women's soccer team. It's not so much about the count of medals.
yes, which is why I created this thread in the first place.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada