HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 10:42 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Sherwood Centre | 45.5 m | 12 fl | Proposed

Hamilton developers propose new bowling centre and 300 residential units on former Sherwood Centre site
More than 160 people gather to hear about Hamilton developers' plans for former Sherwood Centre location

NEWS Nov 18, 2019 by Kevin Werner Hamilton Mountain News

New life for Sherwod Centre site

Hamilton businessmen Hamid Hakimi (foreground, left) and Sam Sakhi (background, left) listen to a few of the over 160 people who attended a public meeting at the Sherwood branch of the Hamilton Public Library Nov. 18 to listen to their proposal about a residential/commercial development on the site of the former Sherwood Centre bowling alley. - Kevin Werner/Torstar
Hamilton developers, who are proposing a large, mixed-use commercial and residential complex on the former Sherwood Centre five-pin bowling centre at Fennell Avenue East and Upper Ottawa Street, threw a strike with residents when they confirmed they will be building a new bowling facility for the community.

“We are looking at options to reopen (the bowling centre),” Sam Esposto of Esposto Architects said to a standing-room-only crowd at the Sherwood branch of the Hamilton Public Library on Nov. 18. “The owners have graciously agreed to rebuild the bowling alley as a brand-new facility. It may not look the way it looks now.”

He said, as the crowd applauded the announcement, the owners can construct only 24 lanes, instead of the 48 bowling lanes the former facility had.

“(The Sherwood facility) is really in ruins,” said Esposto.

RELATED CONTENT

One final frame at Sherwood Centre bowling alley as the Hamilton Mountain facility closes

End of an era in Hamilton as Sherwood Centre closes
The Sherwood Centre at Fennell East and Upper Ottawa closed its doors in July 2018 after opening in 1967.

The development will not include not only the estimated 15,000-square-foot bowling centre, with the possibility of an arcade, but on the plaza, the property will include two four-storey buildings, a seven-storey and a nine-storey building that will have a total of about 300 units.

The developers, Sam Sakhi and Hamid Hakimi, who founded Elite Reality Group, have yet to decide if the residential units will be condominiums or rentals.

In addition, the current Tim Hortons franchise is expected to remain part of the proposed development. Hakimi said they are seeking another restaurant for the project, as well as a possible medical centre.

Hakimi said the residential units will be marketed to seniors and retirees, and they emphasized they believe local residents will be able to afford the units.

“There is a high demand for condos,” he said.

Parking at the back of the plaza will remain “as a buffer” between the single family residences and the buildings, said Esposto.

The developers, along with Mountain Coun. Tom Jackson, held the public meeting to listen to residents' comments on the proposal. Although the proposal elicited some criticism, and a few suggestions, the majority of the residents were cautiously optimistic about what they heard.

Susan Burns, president of the Hamilton 5 Pin Bowlers’ Association, was hopeful the developers will open a 24-lane bowling centre on the property. “It would still be the largest one in the city if they did,” she said.

“I think the development is a positive, and the owners seem willing to listen to the public about it,” she said.

James Webb, an independent planner, said there is “no firm development proposal in place. We are trying to come up with a plan that would best fit the property.”

The owners still have to create a number of studies for the application, including traffic and shadow impacts, and archeological and wind reviews.

Webb said a preliminary application — the owners are seeking at least a rezoning application — to the city could be made by early 2020. It could take a year to make its way through the city’s planning process, he said.

Construction, though, remains a long way off, said Esposto, possibly anywhere from three to five years.

And any construction is expected to be conducted in phases, said Esposto.

Jackson and the owners are committed to holding another public meeting about the project no later than June 1, 2020.

Dan Brown, who lives with his family on Rendell Boulevard, was less than enthusiastic about the proposal. He said he is concerned that he'll looking at a wall of concrete from his backyard. He said the proposed buildings will block out the sunlight to his house, which backs onto the plaza.

“It makes no sense,” said Brown, who wants to live out his years in his current house. “It will be an eyesore.”

Christine Crooks, who also lives on Rendell Boulevard, agreed having the proposed buildings almost on top of the residents who live along Rendell will impact each homeowner's lifestyle.

“It’s a privacy issue,” she said. “We have spent a lot of money fixing our home.”

Warren Socquet, who lives in the area, echoed a few comments from the public that another option would be to reduce or even eliminate the two four-storey buildings, while just keeping the taller buildings in place.

Esposto said that may not be possible because they're trying to “spread the density around the site.”

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 11:08 PM

This is great news. It was my neighbourhood 1996-8

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:20 PM

My first job other than a paper route was working there, cleaning the parking lot and sometimes working inside picking up bowling pins. I think it was about 1982. I never met the owner but his name was Mr Banting, who also owned Mountain Plaza Mall.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:34 PM

Steeltown can you change the title to read Sherwood Centre various 4/4/6/9 floors meters unknown. It will be interesting to see this drop in height. Considering all along Fennell are similar sized buildings and density from the 60s 70s. Just to watch the density drop even tho this is the core of Sherwood neighbourhood. It's built to the street, parking in back as a buffer on neighbouring houses. Nothing wrong with this mixed-use proposal.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:47 PM

Even tho this so far away I bet it gets built before RC3

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Willing to wager?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 2:15 PM

Some renders:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 2:33 PM

Thanks I hate it.

What a boring lazy design. I think what's worse though is all the pavement. Not only is there a giant surface parking lot, but they have a road between the sidewalk and storefronts... What is this? 1980?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Honestly, why are so many peeps or so few, whatever, my point being why is the constant indirect and direct implication of "hamilton23" and his involvement here being targeted as a direct link to the continuation of RC3. To me looking at all that has been said and implied is absolutely childish. Furthermore, where are the the moderators of this forum that allow this nonsense to be given the free authority to occur, and continue?! I am sorry but so much of what people write and say and think and behave with outside attitudes is something that turns me right off this whole forum site regarding Hamilton and its continued encouraging growth. It is pathetic and I for one have no tolerance for it. Stop b*tching about sh*t in which you are most likely typing out of the basement of your mom's house at the age of 45 with the actual acting age so plainly of 12 that you very clearly display!! Grow the F*CK UP and get on with what this forum is really about. I am this close to signing off and finding an actual adult forum to discuss this city's matters which are important to me. Shame on you who divert from this one true factor for which this site exists. Now can WE please get on with the business at hand and forever more forget the rest of these statements that only prove how callous and withdrawn those can be that deviate us from our common interest, our goals and whole purpose of belonging to this forum. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mark Poole

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 7:54 PM

Probably because he's kind of drama snobbish dick all the time. We get it, your family is rich or whatever, nobody really cares. People were discussing why RC3 is taking so long and he took it personally like they were criticizing him and his manhood.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Some renders:

I cant imagine the City every allowing the continuation of the traffic flow along Fennell and/or Upper Ottawa. Happy with the density , surprised they were not more ambitious.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Probably because he's kind of drama snobbish dick all the time. We get it, your family is rich or whatever, nobody really cares. People were discussing why RC3 is taking so long and he took it personally like they were criticizing him and his manhood.
Right, well I just say let bygones be bygones and move on, we are all on this site for a good reason, let's just stick to that. Though I notice even on UrbanToronto Forum, this stuff goes on, it should be principles over personalities, but nobody is perfect, hah, certainly not me.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 2:59 AM

I'm surprised there's not parking lot beside the west side houses. Hopefully the neighbourhood NIMBYs don't go to crazy.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I'm surprised there's not parking lot beside the west side houses. Hopefully the neighbourhood NIMBYs don't go to crazy.
I could see them changing the site plan for that very reason -- turn the tallest building 90 degrees and shift the others eastward so there's space on the west side. Or maybe trade height on the two west blocks to add a floor to each of the east ones.

Can't have morning shadows across 8 houses... or people on balconies leering into those backyards.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:32 AM

Maybe someone should take them to see 101 Locke .... perhaps some inspiration for enlightened design.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 11:59 AM

The only positive here is the proposed density. The sea of asphalt, ugliness of materials plus the idiotic idea of putting a road on either side of a sidewalk is just terrible. The simple design, though not ideal, does create more affordable units that the market in this location desires.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:49 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Maybe someone should take them to see 101 Locke .... perhaps some inspiration for enlightened design.
Amen brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_of_cats View Post
The only positive here is the proposed density. The sea of asphalt, ugliness of materials plus the idiotic idea of putting a road on either side of a sidewalk is just terrible. The simple design, though not ideal, does create more affordable units that the market in this location desires.
Just reinforces the idea that hamilton (modern hamilton anyways) in general is low ambition when it comes to design. 101 Locke was an AWESOME example of what can be done. I hate designs where they go "ok we have this rectangle - what shapes and faux finishes and weird shaped windows and rectangular picture frame like jutout elements can we slap on it to make it look "interesting" - like building a building you bought from ikea - the architecture of the past saw the entire building as a masterpiece and the design elements ranged from subtle to ornate. We need to return to that - thank god for developers like Liuna and Core Urban especially, and the wealth of buildings they failed to demolish that this city still has to clean up - although regrettably more have been knocked down than preserved..

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 1:30 PM

Anyone know where the renders went?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Anyone know where the renders went?
Hopefully into the trash can.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 4:38 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton