HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:03 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Here is an interesting article - Another top-ten ranking for Boise St. It seems Boise sold it's soul (or at least it's integrity) for a little football glory.
Oh yeah, the only possible way we could be successful is because we have bunch of crooks and thugs in our program.

But hey, let's not question the stats. Statistics always tell the full story and the truth, right?

That article was a complete slap in the face to the program as it doesn't elaborate on anything, but instead just throws out these unspecificed violations on police records. As this link will tell you, what it does not tell is (and I'll just quote) "what the violations are, nor does it account for the fact that some states make distinctions between “criminal” and “traffic” matters or even charges like “contempt of court for failure to pay fines as agreed” or “driving on a suspended license.” Those offenses vary among really low level violations of traffic laws which do not require any intent on a person’s part or consist of problems with compliance that usually deal with money, like failure to pay a reinstatement fee to the DMV."

That right there makes the ranking inherently unfair and misleading because we're not given crucial information. http://www.holyturf.com/2011/03/crit...otball-report/

So what were the violations? Read here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...ram-after.html

Now I'm not defending the crimes committed by any stretch, but it's absolutely laughably inaccurate to say that "Boise sold it's soul for a little football glory" and is only a cheap shot to try and diminish the accomplishments we've made.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:15 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
But hey, let's not question the stats. Statistics always tell the full story and the truth, right?

That article was a complete slap in the face to the program as it doesn't elaborate on anything, but instead just throws out these unspecificed violations on police records.
Yeah

The UofU's Harvey Langi is on that list because in High School he and some friends trespassed on a construction site to smoke weed. I don't think that makes him a criminal; it would be a deal breaker for BYU though .

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
What a d-bag response that has nothing to do with football, but while you make that claim, we're a very young school, and I'd say how far we've come in so little time and resources is pretty damn impressive, thank you very much.
Academics has more to do with big conferences than athletics. Athletics plays a huge role, but academics play an even bigger role. Vanderbilt is in the SEC. Every school but one (Nebraska) in the Big Ten is an AAU member. Duke football has never been a powerhouse, but they're firmly held in the ACC. Georgetown doesn't even play football and they're in a BCS conference.

My comment wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you or any other Boise State fan... My apologies if it was read that way. I'm just tired of reading Boise State fans almost expecting or demanding a BCS conference to invite them based only on their football program. I'm sorry to say this, but it is the truth, academics will have to improve for a BCS invite.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:39 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I think that's only half true. There are mediocre BCS conferences (BIG TWELVE!). Boise State can join Oklahoma State and K-State anytime it wants.

But it'll never get a Pac or Big 10 invite without vastly improved academics.

I can't say on the Big East... it seems like a mixed bag to me, but generally very good schools.

The SEC...that's a different creature altogether. If I were Boise, and the SEC offered me an invite, I think I'd have to do some long hard soul searching before I accepted.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:00 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseven View Post
My comment wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you or any other Boise State fan... My apologies if it was read that way.
Considering I'm studying at Boise State, to say the academics are a joke is saying the professors I'm studying under, the students I'm studying with, the job I did in high school, and my decision to attend here which I personally consider to be the best decision I've made is a joke. So yeah, I take that as pretty insulting.

Quote:
I'm just tired of reading Boise State fans almost expecting or demanding a BCS conference to invite them based only on their football program. I'm sorry to say this, but it is the truth, academics will have to improve for a BCS invite.
Show me a post from a Boise State fan demanding a BCS invite and I'll show you ten from Boise State fans that understand how the system works and understand why we won't be invited to the Pac-12, probably ever. But I will tell you what I'm tired of. I'm tired of fighting this completely false perception that Boise State is demanding a shot at a national championship. That they're demanding a BCS conference invite. That they're actively leading the charge for a playoff.

We're not. The media is, and they're using Boise State as a tool to further their movement. Listen to our coach, our players, our staff, and you'll hear the same thing again and again: "We don't want a playoff." "We're not interested in a national championship if it means running up the score." "If a BCS bowl is the ceiling of what our program can achieve, we're perfectly okay with that."

We understand the rules. Not every Boise State fan does, but most do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I think that's only half true. There are mediocre BCS conferences (BIG TWELVE!). Boise State can join Oklahoma State and K-State anytime it wants.
Well, no we can't. Schools can't just join conferences, they have to be invited. It's been documented by several sources that our President is behind the scenes right doing all he can to get us into the Big 12, but we need an invitation. Actually, the Big East might be interested in adding Boise State along with Air Force, Army, and Navy to boost its football profile as a result of the loss of Syracuse, Pitt, and TCU. http://www.boston.com/sports/college...e_boise_state/

Not the greatest conference, but it'd be better than the one we're in right now.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:13 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Well, no we can't. Schools can't just join conferences, they have to be invited. It's been documented by several sources that our President is behind the scenes right doing all he can to get us into the Big 12, but we need an invitation.
Oh really? Thank you, I did not know that. Good to learn something new every day.

(That was sarcasm, in case Boise State hasn't taught you about that yet.)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:17 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Oh really? Thank you, I did not know that. Good to learn something new every day.

(That was sarcasm, in case Boise State hasn't taught you about that yet.)
Why don't you ditch the attitude? Considering the rest of your post was serious and that a lot of people still believe teams just join conferences, that was a pretty poor attempt at sarcasm.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:35 PM

Boise State will never be good enough. That's just the chip on the shoulder us fans/the program has to continue to live with. Maybe that's why we play with a ton of heart and keep busting out wins. No matter who we play, we've been in it and above it.

Haters are gonna hate!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:33 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Well, our QB is officially out for the rest of the season for a shoulder surgery. See you next year everyone .

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Well, our QB is officially out for the rest of the season for a shoulder surgery. See you next year everyone .
We need to rally around Jon Hays... I like his confidence, him flashing "the U" after big plays.

What I don't like about him is fumbling the ball in the pocket and lobbing interceptions.

I'm hoping for bowl-elegibility... Maybe I'm being too hopeful.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:46 AM
Wen Lambo

Yes, you're too hopeful. I think the U will be lucky if they win 5 games this year.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Yes, you're too hopeful. I think the U will be lucky if they win 5 games this year.
I don't believe that to be true. The rest of Utah's schedule is very capable of wins.

Oregon State is atrocious, Arizona just recently fired their head coach, Colorado is in re-building mode, and who knows with UCLA and CAL.

If QB Jon Hays has the confidence, and I believe he does, the Utes will find themselves in a lower tier PAC-12 bowl game. Time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 1:02 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that to be true. The rest of Utah's schedule is very capable of wins.

Oregon State is atrocious, Arizona just recently fired their head coach, Colorado is in re-building mode, and who knows with UCLA and CAL.

If QB Jon Hays has the confidence, and I believe he does, the Utes will find themselves in a lower tier PAC-12 bowl game. Time will tell.
Perhaps in the New Mexico bowl vs. MWC. Wouldn't that be fun?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Yep, our season is over. No bowl this year. Wynn is too injury prone.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:53 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
How are we ever going to cultivate the necessary hatred for our rivalry if you guys won't acknowledge Colorado's atrociousness? "Rebuilding mode" is what Sportscenter commentators and coaches looking to protect their jobs say. It's a term used between friends. Opposing fans - they say things like hellaciously awful. Compare us to little girls, or use some other terribly inappropriate slur. Say below-the-belt things about how we're less worthy than schools like Boise of a BCS-autobid conference. Mock our mascot. These are the things rivals do!

By the way, you guys can probably write off UCLA and Cal. Granted, I wouldn't mind a bit if Neuheisel choked on his morning omelet, but I don't see you guys winning that game. And at Cal, well, they're going to need to pick up some wins against the lowly South.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 4:08 PM
of Gnomeregan

Bishop's Castle has been being built for a shorter amount of time than Colorado's football program.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 4:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

There's only so much rebuilding a team can do when its foundation is built on a pile of buffalo shit.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:03 PM
ColoRADo

DII Danny brought in some talent, but not enough. The cupboards are nearly empty. Depth is key in the big leagues and CU is in the baby pool. It's extremely apparent watching the special teams.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:05 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
DII Danny
I like it! Where'd he come from again?

(Come on Boise forumers, jump in here and tell me something I already know again. I just want to hear you say it. DII Dan came from...[fill in the blank].)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 6:50 PM

You want me to jump in and tell you something that you already know... Okay

1. Four losses to Colorado State since 2000 is embarrassing for a PAC 12 team, especially when your too good to play a road game against them.

2. The 2008 #1 running back recruit in the nation has four more touchdowns in five games with South Florida than he did in two full seasons with the Buffaloes.

3. The Vegas Line on a Colorado/Boise State game this season would be over 30 points.

4. Boise State would cover the spread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West