HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 7:41 PM

I suggest that if they widen Highway 1 all the way to Abbotsford, they should also have some areas as many as 4 lanes in both directions (1 HOV lane + 2 to 3 GP lanes). They may have room for that, but in some areas may not be big enough to accommodate 8 lanes total. I also think they should try to have the skytrain extended at least to Langley instead of just widening the roads further out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 9:33 PM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 10:04 PM

That confirms what has been speculated, that they are simply changing one of the lanes to HOV in the current 3 lane Eastbound section of Highway 1 between 232 and 264.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:41 PM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

On one hand, cheap.
On the other hand, maybe 66 can see increased ridership post pandemic with faster rush-hour service. The Fraser Valley Express is like the west coast’s version of Go Bus.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:02 AM

Yeah, this project plan sucks. I foresee a new bottleneck at 232nd as the will reuse the climbing lane, causing traffic to scramble between lanes. Not much will be gained thanks to this plan.

The only positive is that the new rail crossing will allow for a 4+4 lane configuration one day.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:13 AM

So the 264th Interchange will be unchanged until the next phase.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 2:41 AM

Option 1:
Add an HOV lane westbound between 264 Street and 232 Street by converting the existing eastbound truck climbing lane between 232nd and 264th Street to an HOV lane to allow for the continuous HOV lane.
In the future, after the replacement of the 264th Street interchange, the truck climbing lane will be reintroduced.

Option 2:
Retain the existing eastbound truck climbing lane and deliver the widening between 232 Street and 264 Street as part of the next program phase which includes the replacement of the 264 Street Interchange.

So seems like Option 2 is maintain the 232 to 264 eastbound the way it is right now and upgrade it in the next phase.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Yeah, this project plan sucks. I foresee a new bottleneck at 232nd as the will reuse the climbing lane, causing traffic to scramble between lanes. Not much will be gained thanks to this plan.

The only positive is that the new rail crossing will allow for a 4+4 lane configuration one day.
It might be more believable if you put air quotes around "one day".

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
That confirms what has been speculated, that they are simply changing one of the lanes to HOV in the current 3 lane Eastbound section of Highway 1 between 232 and 264.
I read through and as pointed out by others luckily it seems that this will only be temporary until phase 2 is compete, and I can understand that seeing how they haven’t finalized their plans for the 264th interchange.

So to recap, it seems that phase two will add a 4th climbing lane along that stretch eastbound between 232nd and 264th.

Curious to see what they plan for the 264th interchange. Hope it is more layered / larger than the 232nd interchange plan (which itself is fine IMO).

Also of note, they say full expansion to Whatcom Road interchange competed by 2026...

If that is true then they better be announcing phase two pretty darn soon (guessing it will be a three phased project).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:32 AM

It just sucks that they will have to go back to add that extra lane causing at least one year of construction zone speed limits on the entire stretch.

I was also surprised to see them changing one of the current roundabouts to a traffic light intersection. I am on mobile do forgetting where it's at.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I was also surprised to see them changing one of the current roundabouts to a traffic light intersection. I am on mobile do forgetting where it's at.
232 North of the Highway. I guess the single lane roundabout wasn’t enough capacity, NB to WB on-ramp will now need to go though that intersection.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:20 PM
life in the present

Hopefully the NDP will be out but the time widening takes place east of 264th and the whole thing will be 8 laned, 216th to Whatcom. This piece-meal NDP creation is just another road to 'almost there'.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Hopefully the NDP will be out but the time widening takes place east of 264th and the whole thing will be 8 laned, 216th to Whatcom. This piece-meal NDP creation is just another road to 'almost there'.
Isn't this the same thing that was proposed under the previous government?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
What makes you think it would be 8 laned under the liberals?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:17 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Isn't this the same thing that was proposed under the previous government?
They promised to widen it to Whatcom Road not just to 264th, hence my comment.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/libera...-whatcom-road/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:21 AM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
What makes you think it would be 8 laned under the liberals?
Given their history of future proofing Highway one during the Gateway Project years I'd guess that their widening project election promise 2020, might be enhanced if it were to be reviewed post 2024. Wishing thinking

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
They promised to widen it to Whatcom Road not just to 264th, hence my comment.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/libera...-whatcom-road/
Ok, as part of their election platform. The NDP are just completing what was planned by the Liberals while they were still in power.

Election promises are fine, but they aren't always held.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ok, as part of their election platform. The NDP are just completing what was planned by the Liberals while they were still in power.

Election promises are fine, but they aren't always held.
Yup, plus the plan is still to complete to Whatcom for 2026, the NDP haven’t canceled anything.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 7:46 AM

If they widen Highway 1 out to 264st in Langley, the overpasses at Glover Road, 232nd st, and 264 st should have a height of at least 5.5 m because trucks will continue to get taller than we think it is within the coming decades. Right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure