HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:29 PM

MID had been asking the province to put in that access. That was three or four years ago. I have no idea if DoT ever jumped on board fully or partially, or if this is purely a MID project.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is now a port-a-potty on site at the future Mezza Lebanese Kitchen at McLaughlin Place. I wonder if this mean interior fit and finish is finally going to happen. The last word was that this might occur in August. If so, will we expect an opening sometime this fall???

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:38 PM

I was down around Price Street today and drove down the highway to check out the Harrisville project too. It’s almost completely unrecognizable from the last time they were there. I don’t even remember them starting the Kubota dealership but it’s done now, plus there is a couple other businesses open on Price Street. Across the highway the new Brandt dealership is coming along really well, it’s HUGE! Down off of Harrisville they have some of the curbs in for the new Native Reserve park. They are working on connecting the new road to the existing intersection now.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:55 AM

In Granite does anyone know what they are doing in the new plaza in the unit that is closest to Costco and what else is rumoured to go in there it seems sad that we haven’t seen a lot of movements. Plus when do they plan to build the other plazas.

Plus I seen that they started clearing out a street for Baron Heights phase 2 perhaps.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 9:18 AM

I noticed the For Lease sign has been removed from the old Doolys/Rodeo/Crystal Mountain building and there were a few electrician trucks parked near the entrance.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
In Granite does anyone know what they are doing in the new plaza in the unit that is closest to Costco and what else is rumoured to go in there it seems sad that we haven’t seen a lot of movements. Plus when do they plan to build the other plazas.

Plus I seen that they started clearing out a street for Baron Heights phase 2 perhaps.
Granite is a victim of the perfect storm of the combined retail apocalypse and the COVID pandemic.

There is a glut of retail vacancies in Moncton, and the Granite Centre and Wheeler Park in particular have been hard hit. I'm not sure when this glut will disappear (if ever).

There are two conditions which might stimulate action at the Granite Centre:

1) - If a second big box retailer shows up to supplement Costco as a draw. I know Home Hardware is arriving sometime in the next couple of years, but that is not enough. Another retailer like Decathlon might stimulate interest.
2) - Improved food options along the strip. The restaurant pad at the front needs something popular, like Jack Astors. If you had this, along with a Five Guys in that vacant retail strip, then the development could be resuscitated.

And, yes, the next phase of Barron Heights has started.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 10:03 AM

I've said this before and as boring as it is that strip mall on Granite should concentrate on fast casual (mostly as there is no drive thru space) eateries. As someone who moved to Irishtown from the Northwest side last summer when I think about driving 5-10 minutes towards town the reason is because we want food and not because we need something else because when that's the case I don't mind driving the 15-20 minutes instead.

That place could use things like a Subway, a chinese buffet (do those exist anymore?), a Little Caesar's and a place like La Diperie would probably do way more business there than it will ever do in that scuzzy strip mall where they went. We could also use something ethnic like thai there but thankfully between Mezza an Indish we're going to see some good new restaurants.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 12:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have received a PM from a reliable source that the former Dooley's/Revolution Night Club on Elmwood is being gutted and is undergoing significant renovation to become the new home of the Oulton College Policing and Corrections Foundation campus.

This is an interesting repurposing for this building and will actually be an excellent use for this building moving forward into the future.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have received a PM from a reliable source that the former Dooley's/Revolution Night Club on Elmwood is being gutted and is undergoing significant renovation to become the new home of the Oulton College Policing and Corrections Foundation campus.

This is an interesting repurposing for this building and will actually be an excellent use for this building moving forward into the future.
I wonder that will stimulate the development of that area, in particular the need for an apartment building or two to host the students attending this college as there are very few options outside of a long walk from the ones nearer to the university.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 12:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposal for 80 Morton Avenue:

Quote:
Trace on behalf of/au nom de Emmanuel Baptist Church 80 av. Morton, Moncton Zoning By-law amendment, being By-law Z-220.15 is to rezone a portion of PID 00997221 from P1 (Community Use) to R3 (Multiple Unit Dwelling). The rezoning will accommodate the construction of a six-storey apartment building with 116 units and underground parking
Supporting PAC documents are not currently available.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 9:38 AM

This seems like a pretty darned good location for the policing course. Lots of room in the building, about 90 per cent of which is on one floor. Ample public transit with two bus lines nearby, well, ample for Moncton anyway. Some rental apartments nearby and another six storey apartment building coming soon. And tons of fast serve restaurants within easy walking distance. Not to mention pharmacies, a major grocer and Costco. Lots of parking as well.
Seems like a smooth move on the school's part.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
This seems like a pretty darned good location for the policing course. Lots of room in the building, about 90 per cent of which is on one floor. Ample public transit with two bus lines nearby, well, ample for Moncton anyway. Some rental apartments nearby and another six storey apartment building coming soon. And tons of fast serve restaurants within easy walking distance. Not to mention pharmacies, a major grocer and Costco. Lots of parking as well.
Seems like a smooth move on the school's part.
You forgot the single most important part...plenty of surface parking near the entrances.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
You forgot the single most important part...plenty of surface parking near the entrances.
I mentioned the parking but yes indeed I forgot the most important part for Monctonians and for people younger than 30 didn't I? LOL

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I mentioned the parking but yes indeed I forgot the most important part for Monctonians and for people younger than 30 didn't I? LOL
#offended

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 4:23 PM

The traffic lights on the corner of Pleasant and Lewisville are now fully operational.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 5:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Proposal for 80 Morton Avenue:

Quote:
Trace on behalf of/au nom de Emmanuel Baptist Church 80 av. Morton, Moncton Zoning By-law amendment, being By-law Z-220.15 is to rezone a portion of PID 00997221 from P1 (Community Use) to R3 (Multiple Unit Dwelling). The rezoning will accommodate the construction of a six-storey apartment building with 116 units and underground parking
Supporting PAC documents are not currently available.
The documents are now available:

site plan

perspective drawing

Exterior cladding

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 11:23 PM

Am I seeing one eggress/entrance, and that being on to Morton Avenue?
Bad idea if departing vehicles are allowed to turn left on to Morton. I would be surprised if town planning did not force them to have one-way exit turning right, as they did at the plaza across McLaughlin Drive which has never been even nearly as busy as this apartment building will be. Other than that, pretty neat development upon a cursory inspection, not the most beautiful building in Moncton but not ugly like Millennium Blvd either. Thanks for posting this. Those of us who grew up in the 'hood have been wondering.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The eastbound onramp from Harrisville Blvd onto the TCH is currently closed as they reconfigure it to allow for the main entrance to the Metepenagiag First Nation business park. The construction site is very active, as I presume they want to keep this closure as short as possible.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:55 PM

Quote:
The eastbound onramp from Harrisville Blvd onto the TCH is currently closed as they reconfigure it to allow for the main entrance to the Metepenagiag First Nation business park. The construction site is very active, as I presume they want to keep this closure as short as possible.

This is actually very exciting, if it ends up anything like the one in Truro, it will be a lovely place for people to stop on their way through or past the city!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:
A reliable source has informed me that official ground breaking for this project will be around August 15th. The Walmart Canada CEO will be in town for the event.
I was curious if this had happened on the weekend. A quick google search says it will take place on Aug 19th at 10am.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces