HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 5:46 PM

More angles on my blog. I think this turned out great. The "tunnels" are unique, the steps are beautiful (too cold to try it this week), there is a lot of retail going in, and the public art is tasteful and it's interesting to walk around reading the information.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 6:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice pictures. I like how "grown-up" this area looks. It does not look like a Disney-fied tourist area and it relates well to the buildings around it. A lot of the public art seems detailed and tied to history.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 1:49 AM

The windows on the Muir look like lighthouse lenses.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 10:24 PM

This development has by far the nicest finishings of any of the new buildings in Halifax. Overall probably one of the best new developments I've seen in this city.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 8:24 PM
Cap the Cut!

In the short time I was in the area the steps attracted lots of attention. I steped down to the waterline and report that the steps were not at all slippery. I quite like everything about this development.

20220221_135102_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20220221_141759_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20220221_141745_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20220221_141751_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20220221_141736_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 12:29 AM

From last week

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 4:23 PM

This is my absolute favourite development. I think it is the best in Halifax because it the most unique, uses beautiful materials, and really improves the pedestrian experience on a major part of the waterfront. The public really seems to love it every time I am down there, and everyone seems to be fascinated with the steps leading to the water.

My only concern is that I am noticing some deterioration of the Muntz metal in certain places; particularly, the around the entrance to the residences, the decorative vent coverings by the Cable Wharf, and the main entrance into the courtyard by the Cable Wharf. All of the other places seem to be holding up well. I am wondering if these places experience the brunt of harsh weather. I hope the end up refurbishing or replacing the aforementioned areas because everything else is so gorgeous.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon123 View Post
My only concern is that I am noticing some deterioration of the Muntz metal in certain places; particularly, the around the entrance to the residences, the decorative vent coverings by the Cable Wharf, and the main entrance into the courtyard by the Cable Wharf. All of the other places seem to be holding up well. I am wondering if these places experience the brunt of harsh weather. I hope the end up refurbishing or replacing the aforementioned areas because everything else is so gorgeous.
I haven't taken a close look at it recently, but I wonder if this weathering is anticipated and planned for. Muntz metal discolours very rapidly when exposed to weather (like, within a couple of years), so the architects would probably have thought about how its appearance would change to a more weathered, see-worn look. (Unless there's some other kind of deterioration you're referring to.)

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 5:04 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
Is it just me, or is the lettering for "rise again" aligned with neither the slope of the roof (the "r" in "rise" looks closer to the top than the "n" in "again") nor the horizontal?

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Is it just me, or is the lettering for "rise again" aligned with neither the slope of the roof (the "r" in "rise" looks closer to the top than the "n" in "again") nor the horizontal?
Yup, looks like they couldn't decide which to align it with, so they split the difference!

Edit: on second thought, the split between the cladding doesn't appear to be parallel with the dock - so maybe the text is level, but it's creating an optical illusion in this photo...

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 6:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Maybe it's supposed to be metaphorical, with the text "rising" progressively towards the right.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 5:51 PM

The steps above Rise Again are now open. The steps themselves are quite long which can give the appearance of it being a ramp as opposed to steps.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 6:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if it's been posted already but there is a Ned Kahn studios website with a portfolio of interesting art installations: https://nedkahn.com/

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 6:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks decidedly Scandinavian or Dutch. Are you sure this isn't Rotterdam?

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 6:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Looks decidedly Scandinavian or Dutch. Are you sure this isn't Rotterdam?
I think so too although Halifax projects always seem to be a bit more complicated or cluttered and this one has some of those features. For example if you look at this scene it would have been more dramatic with a large sandstone facade with regular fenestration, without those glass boxes around the bottom. Still, nice development overall.

Bishop's Landing would have been a stronger development with a pedestrian passageway like Queen's Marque has. Instead it has a 100 m+ facade with no permeability. Plus that little bit of surface parking.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Bishop's Landing would have been a stronger development with a pedestrian passageway like Queen's Marque has. Instead it has a 100 m+ facade with no permeability. Plus that little bit of surface parking.
I can't help but think, as new projects are built that include public-access underground parking, that this surface lot could be transformed into pedestrian space. The actual number of usable parking spaces is negligible compared to how that surface lot detracts from the experience of people enjoying the area.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 7:58 PM

This is a great new public spaces that feels like a lot of people are responding well to. I'm excited for the completion with Tidal Beacon and all of the upcoming retail/restaurant spaces to be filled. This was the courtyard on a sunny day last week:

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Agree. Looks very odd. Also noticed it’s the only block lettering that appears at the QM. All other lettering is script and artistic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth