HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:07 AM
we built this city

There are just too many houses on Quinpool in my opinion and certain areas could be made more urban. The empty lot across from the McDonalds could really use something high density.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
There are just too many houses on Quinpool in my opinion and certain areas could be made more urban. The empty lot across from the McDonalds could really use something high density.
Problem with that site is the area won't allow height after quinpool towers was built. There was such a fight back when that was built that many have decided to stay away from the area.

Sad really as i firmly believe that it should be high density similar to Spring Garden road.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Problem with that site is the area won't allow height after quinpool towers was built. There was such a fight back when that was built that many have decided to stay away from the area.

Sad really as i firmly believe that it should be high density similar to Spring Garden road.
I think that attitude may have changed though; there are a lot more younger people along there.

I remember working on the apartment building that replaced sister sarah's, thinking it should've been bigger.

I've always believed that Quinpool would be a wonderful street for a rapid transit line (of some sort) to go through. so if that were to happen; I'm sure you would see density happen. It would have too in order to support the line.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think that attitude may have changed though; there are a lot more younger people along there.

I remember working on the apartment building that replaced sister sarah's, thinking it should've been bigger.

I've always believed that Quinpool would be a wonderful street for a rapid transit line (of some sort) to go through. so if that were to happen; I'm sure you would see density happen. It would have too in order to support the line.
I hope the attitudes have changed, although one never knows till a submission is made. I personally believe most new developments should be set back from the street more allowing for modest parking in front. Without it the area for retail will not be as strong.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I hope the attitudes have changed, although one never knows till a submission is made. I personally believe most new developments should be set back from the street more allowing for modest parking in front. Without it the area for retail will not be as strong.
Sorry I have to disagree with you there. Part of what makes an urban environment interesting is the scale and when buildings are at the property line; you have more of an intense feel of the scale. My like of HbD is because it sets out reasonable heights for the streetwalls - so that you have some breaking up of the massing for buildings but with podiums. The R-3 rules in the Peninsula and Mainland Bylaw (angle controls) do it as well to a certain degree.

What I would suggest might be a better way to deal with densifying the Quinpool corridor; would be to do something along the line of what I had suggested for densification of the Agricola and Gottingen corridors. Require the residential components to have onsite; underground parking. But the commercial components would require paying into a cash in lieu type system; where the parking would be based on some formula. Now the formula would have to be such that it updated yearly as the value of 1 parking stall changed; so that you were getting the appropriate value.

By doing this; you could construct a common parkade (or two) along the street for use by commercial renters. You'd have to make sure it was clear that parking was to a maximum amount of time on weekdays (say 2 hours - to prevent people from parking there and walking into the core). My feeling on this approach would be for the city to take the upfront risk and build the parking ahead of development and take the potential loss; if saw potential for redevelopment being high. But I would reduce this process if an LRT or other rapid transit system were built (building extra parking defeats using the rapid transit system - but some may still want to drive because an LRT may not reach them). So even if an LRT was built; I'd still build a parkade; just not a big one.

Then the city could intake revenues from parking there as well and the cash in lieu would help pay off the construction costs.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 11:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

In the Vancouver metropolitan area they are building street fronting retail without surface parking even out in suburbs like Burnaby and Surrey, the equivalent of Clayton Park or Dartmouth. The same thing is happening in suburbs of Toronto. These areas still have plenty of parking, but it is found underneath or on top of stores.

It is very sad how far behind Halifax is on this, to the point where the city lets developers build cookie cutter Shoppers Drug Marts on Robie Street in a sea of parking... at the same time as they are supposedly trying to improve the core and promote transit use?

Putting parking in front of retail buildings on Quinpool is similar. By the time you do that kind of thing there's no point in even living in the city to be honest. Might as well go somewhere cheaper that also has no charm. As it is it's a pretty ugly street.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 11:53 PM
we built this city

Yeah, I actually love Quinpool Centre aside from its terrible cladding, although the new liquor store is a massive improvement over Rogers video.

I think the Blockbuster site and houses all along that stretch need to go up as far as the cake store next to freemans.

I think put a tower in the place of St. Pat's and clean up the street and it could be almost upscale.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yeah, I actually love Quinpool Centre aside from its terrible cladding, although the new liquor store is a massive improvement over Rogers video.

I think the Blockbuster site and houses all along that stretch need to go up as far as the cake store next to freemans.

I think put a tower in the place of St. Pat's and clean up the street and it could be almost upscale.
I agree with putting a tower on st. Pat's. I'm thinking in the 20 to 30 storey range; with shops at the ground floor level and right up to the sidewalk. Pedestrian oriented scale (so commercial and offices up to the 3rd storey; the tower as a podium stepped back.

I think Quinpool Centre could use a facelift or even a complete re-do. If that's the case; add another residential tower. If demolition and replacement is too expensive; then do it in phases. You could dig up some of the parking to build underground parking below and then cover it and build ramps.

Also those low rise apartments behind could be updated and doubled in height to say 8 storeys.

That would add a good bulk of density to the area. But those houses along the street have to go. Yet another fight to have I guess.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:34 PM

Since in one of my earlier posts I misquoted the reference to a poster on the forum; I'm going to leave this general - so I don't misquote again.

A previous poster (haha) brought up the idea of a performing arts centre; as part of the waterfront or downtown in general.

So I wanted to see what people thought about this? Certainly Neptune Theatre is a great space; but another one could be built too. My thought was instead of doing the idea I floated of filling in by the new NSP office to build a indoor hockey arena (because the distance between there and George's island would get pretty narrow); why not still infill it to a degree in order to build the performing arts centre?

The idea was it be a part of the waterfront as an iconic building; so there it would be. You could still have cruise ships tie up nearby and enjoy the market and it would be integrated into the boardwalk. In fact, as part of the development you could create an outdoor theatre performing space plus some water features.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Since in one of my earlier posts I misquoted the reference to a poster on the forum; I'm going to leave this general - so I don't misquote again.

A previous poster (haha) brought up the idea of a performing arts centre; as part of the waterfront or downtown in general.

So I wanted to see what people thought about this? Certainly Neptune Theatre is a great space; but another one could be built too. My thought was instead of doing the idea I floated of filling in by the new NSP office to build a indoor hockey arena (because the distance between there and George's island would get pretty narrow); why not still infill it to a degree in order to build the performing arts centre?

The idea was it be a part of the waterfront as an iconic building; so there it would be. You could still have cruise ships tie up nearby and enjoy the market and it would be integrated into the boardwalk. In fact, as part of the development you could create an outdoor theatre performing space plus some water features.

Thoughts?
That would be incredible beyond words... but it would never happen.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 8:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's the Cunard site between NSP and Bishop's Landing that's coming up for development. The Waterfront Warehouse would be another good site.

I wonder if infilling in front of NSP would cause issues for cruise ships? Some of them dock right next door.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There's the Cunard site between NSP and Bishop's Landing that's coming up for development. The Waterfront Warehouse would be another good site.

I wonder if infilling in front of NSP would cause issues for cruise ships? Some of them dock right next door.
I think there would be a temporary issue while the fill was being placed.
But then once the fill and docks were built - you'd have the building integrated into the boardwall and more places for the ships to dock. You could also incorporate at the new dock site those cruise ship swing bridges; so people could get on and off.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
we built this city

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,275.2,,0,2.39

These CN lands would be a big redevelopment spot.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 10:46 PM

im pretty sure that train yard is actually used fairly often and i doubt CN would give it up for residential which is probly what it would be
its CN, they tend to be stinjy with land

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 8:13 AM

As much as I'm sure the residents would love for CN to leave - I doubt they'd give it up either.
But it can be something to look at for the future if CN builds a rail yard somewhere else.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 11:07 AM

Yea, I wouldn't put to much hope into that spot. Being that close to the container port, plus CN knowing the land would be very valuable as time goes on and the area around it develops more, making that spot more desirable to developers... They will not be giving it up any time soon.

The only way CN would give that land up is for an astronomical price.

But I agree, it is a good spot for development.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 1:27 PM

That is a good spot. The soil would probably be contaminated from the trains though.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 9:19 PM

I suspect it would probably quite contaminated; so you would at least a phase 1 EA; if not a phase 2 and reclamation plan.

That might delay developing the site for years, if it were to come on the market and probably make it not viable economically.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 9:43 PM

On another note; I want to know what people think should be done with the parking lots to the east of the Trillum (below Spring Garden Road)?

Keep in mind; both sites are covered in viewplanes; so I think it would be reasonable to assume that whatever height City Centre Atlantic has; would be the max there (or possibly a storey lower).

One option (much like what dmajackson had suggested in one of the threads) would be removing excess viewplanes; which function to save the same view but cover wider areas? So potential you might be able to combine VP 9 and 10 into one VP - and increase the allowable heights slightly.

My thought on the area is a combination of residential or boutique hotel. Ideally; I'd like to see the corner next to the Trillium turned into a high class urban boutique hotel - something like the Fairmont Pacific Rim - about the same height and similar style to the Trillium. If that corner couldn't be done; then i'd like to see one of the parking lots done.

The thread in the Vancouver SSP section for the Pacific Rim Hotel (if people want to see more pictures) is here.

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Aug 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 1:53 AM
we built this city

Here's a fantasy tower site:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...04801&t=h&z=18

Corner of North and Gottingen near the bridge approach. Since that house recently burned down a tower spanning the corner and all the way to where the house was would be amazing.

This corner features Stadacona and Northwood (or whatever, the little metal clad old folks tower)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General