HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 9:27 PM
World Machine

Ugly or not, it gives some height to the skyline. I would venture to say that within the next decade there will be something the will pass this in height in Brooklyn. The way I see it, it's a good problem to have.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 9:36 PM

Wow, this looks very late 60's East German style. Not a huge fan, but its nice to get something besides the glass cookie cutters going up all over.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Ugly or not, it gives some height to the skyline. I would venture to say that within the next decade there will be something the will pass this in height in Brooklyn. The way I see it, it's a good problem to have.
For what it's worth, there are at least 3 buildings that have been approved taller than this. One of them, the Avalon on Willoughby, is almost guaranteed to get built. Those Avalon guys are printing money right now, and there's no reason to think they'll have any problem tossing up Brooklyn's tallest in the next year or two (I believe it's supposed to be nearly 100 ft taller than this building). That said, since it's an Avalon, it probably won't be any sort of world class architecture either, but it might be less ugly than this.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 8:56 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That dude has way better zoom than my camera. I have got to get a better one. The mechanicals are even taller now than in that picture. I'm curious if they are what put this building 2 ft over WSB or if the top floor is higher.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 4:56 AM
New Yorker for life

More distant view of the changing Brooklyn skyline...

doug-newman

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 9:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-estate/brooklyner

Transformer! Brooklyn's Biggest New Tower Set To Change Downtown's Tone, For Better or Worse

By Bonnie Kavoussi
July 10, 2009

Hundreds of new residents will pour into downtown Brooklyn when its tallest building—the 51-story Brooklyner—opens in 2010.

Building the high-rise at 111 Lawrence Street—Brooklyn’s tallest by two feet—has not been cheap. According to a March report from Commercial Mortgage Alert, the Clarett Group borrowed $181.5 million from the Bank of America, JP Morgan, and ING Real Estate for the $280 million project.

But rents are likely to offset the cost. Studios will start at about $1,550 per month, and rents are likely to go up to $3,000 for one- and two-bedroom apartments, according to Joe Bartolo, the project’s plumbing foreman, who saw a document from the Clarett Group listing prospective rents. He added that floor space is being valued at $40 per square foot. Members of the Clarett Group—including its managing partner, Veronica Hackett—declined to comment.

The 491-unit high-rise is made up almost entirely of studios and one-bedroom apartments, according to Mr. Bartolo. From the fifth floor to the 41st, there are five studios, five one-bedroom apartments, and one two-bedroom apartment per floor. From the 42nd floor to the 50th, 11 apartments are reduced to nine, with two one-bedroom apartments lopped off each floor.The high-rise’s most desirable apartment sits at the top: a majestic duplex penthouse overlooking New York City from all four sides of the 51st floor. It has three bedrooms, four bathrooms and a kitchen.

But the studios, according to Mr. Bartolo, are small: 350 to 400 square feet apiece. “The fixtures are pretty basic,” he said. “Nothing fancy.” There will also be a parking garage underground and on the second and third floors. The fourth floor will have a gym, party room, laundry room and other amenities.

While the Clarett Group originally wanted to build 52 floors, the Department of Buildings would not give it a permit to add the extra floor.

If you’re eager to rent out that Brooklyner penthouse right away, it’s still under construction—as is much of the rest of the building. “Nothing is done,” said one electrician at the work site this week, who predicted that construction will finish in eight months to a year. “Most of the work done is structural—and the interior walls.”

“The top floors look like a wide-open shell,” his apprentice said. “But you got a hell of a view. You can see the whole city.”

DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN HAS ITS juxtaposed contradictions: a prominent branch of the New York Stock Exchange stands just a couple of blocks away from a 99-cent store (both within short walking distance of the Brooklyner). But the Brooklyner’s arrival indicates that it may be the NYSE—and not the 99-cent store—that holds downtown Brooklyn’s future.

“We need a change,” said Jack Paz, the owner of Jack’s Barber Shop, who said he’s lost 50 percent of his business in the past two years as a result of the financial crisis. “Those tenants will make [downtown Brooklyn] a lot better than what it is now.”

Other retailers near the Brooklyner and the adjacent office complex at the MetroTech Center, the home of the NYSE branch, said they’re looking forward to having more business as a result.

Jennifer Zeng, a cashier at the Chinese buffet Wok and Roll and also the manager’s daughter, said that September 11—not just the financial crisis—has hurt business in Brooklyn. “After 9/11, it’s been pretty quiet for us,” she said. “Hopefully, [the Brooklyner] will give us more exposure.”

But not everyone in Brooklyn is cheering the tower’s arrival. “It’s not helping most people here,” said Latoya Smith, a student at Long Island University. “They should help build low-income housing and shelters instead of this big high-rise for no reason.”

Nonetheless, the high-rise is drawing locals’ attention. James Gibbs, a retired porter who now teaches chess at Washington Square Park, stood gazing up at the Brooklyner as he leaned against a newspaper stand. “I call it the first wonder of the world in Brooklyn,” he said.

Mr. Gibbs compared the Brooklyner to downtown Brooklyn’s clocktower—formerly Brooklyn’s tallest building, which he nicknames the Big Ben (and which goes by the official moniker, One Hanson Place). Ever since trying to find his way through monsoons in the Vietnam War, Mr. Gibbs says he has looked for landmarks whenever he is lost, and he said that the Brooklyner is now his new landmark. “It’s my guide."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 9:40 PM

Mr. Gibbs compared the Brooklyner to downtown Brooklyn’s clocktower—formerly Brooklyn’s tallest building, which he nicknames the Big Ben (and which goes by the official moniker, One Hanson Place). Ever since trying to find his way through monsoons in the Vietnam War, Mr. Gibbs says he has looked for landmarks whenever he is lost, and he said that the Brooklyner is now his new landmark. “It’s my guide."

That's like switching from using a lighthouse beacon to find the shore to using flies to find the cowpie.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 1:38 AM

What, more photos of this thing? Why bother? For you, I walk around Brooklyn and risk breaking the lens on my camera taking photos of this monster for you.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 1:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
I think this may be the first case where something taller has to be built if only because the current tallest is ugly..

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:40 PM

Some more seafaring, and a little up close. I still haven't bothered to get too close to the bottom of the thing, lest it fall over on me for photographing it (ala that fantastic Chinese tower accident). Also, and it's hard to see in these photos, but yes, the larger window bays on the high floor have small windows framed by the red and brown panels that are on the rest of the tower. No, it is not aesthetically pleasing.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:53 PM

hmm i can't begin to imagine the design choice for those windows on the side. would have been ok to just continue the same 4 windows

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 4:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:10 PM

That's what I call a dramatically changing skyline.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:52 AM

Wow, I never realized Brooklyn had such a cool skyline, love this shot:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:52 PM

Wasn't the Oro supposed to be Brooklyn's tallest? And the Brooklyner beat it by two feet? Does putting a few pencils on top of the tower officially raise it's height?

I give it about 20 years, and Downtown Brooklyn will be another Lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
Wasn't the Oro supposed to be Brooklyn's tallest? And the Brooklyner beat it by two feet? Does putting a few pencils on top of the tower officially raise it's height?

I give it about 20 years, and Downtown Brooklyn will be another Lower Manhattan.
Not sure what the plan for Oro was originally, but it's nowhere near as tall as this building. Standing between the two this is all too painfully obvious (not that the Oro is a real looker or anything).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:09 PM

Brooklyn - The Future of High Rise Development: Year 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post

I agree with your statement that 20 years will be sufficient time to build up downtown Brooklyn provided that developers are able to secure financing for such projects and properly manage them. Downtown Brooklyn only needs another 15 to 20 high rises in order to densify itself in terms of residential/office space high rise.[/B]

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:24 PM
World Machine

Not the best looking building, but again, I don’t think it’s as bad as most of you are making it out to be. And as it’s also being noted, within time the Downtown Brooklyn skyline will be more greatly developed where this building could potentially get hidden from some angles.

Now if this building was more along the lines in looks of the William Beaver House, then that’s something to be disgraced about as being Brooklyn’s tallest.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 2:17 AM

It's completely gone today (I think...), but here's a shot of the crane going down from earlier this week...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive