HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 12:36 AM
Closed account

OSEG is soliciting ideas for the new CFL and NASL team names: http://www.nameourteams.com/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 12:58 PM
Busy Beaver

The Ottawa Filibusters!

"A procedure where an individual extends debate, allowing a lone member to delay or entirely prevent a proposal" — sounds rather appropriate for Lansdowne

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 1:22 PM
Closed account

Hah!

I proposed the Voyageurs and Rapids.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
...Rapids.
what? no "z"?

I was sad to learn that the expansion agreement not only precluded the name "Roughriders" but also anything to do with "Riders", so my preference for the football team: "Black Riders" is out, too.

I think it would have been so awesome to have a stadium full of fans singing this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qyN6VZ4fQ. Of course we don't actually sing anthems at our games, we just do what the scoreboard tells us to do, and listen patiently to the same trite song selection (played too loudly to sing along anyhow), in the same order, after every stoppage of play. Honestly, is there anything more boring than the way they "engage" the crowd at Senators games? Uh oh, I feel like I'm starting to sound like Andrew Cohen here. Next thing you know I'll be grumbling about standing ovations at the NAC.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 3:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
what? no "z"?

I was sad to learn that the expansion agreement not only precluded the name "Roughriders" but also anything to do with "Riders", so my preference for the football team: "Black Riders" is out, too.

I think it would have been so awesome to have a stadium full of fans singing this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qyN6VZ4fQ. Of course we don't actually sing anthems at our games, we just do what the scoreboard tells us to do, and listen patiently to the same trite song selection (played too loudly to sing along anyhow), in the same order, after every stoppage of play. Honestly, is there anything more boring than the way they "engage" the crowd at Senators games? Uh oh, I feel like I'm starting to sound like Andrew Cohen here. Next thing you know I'll be grumbling about standing ovations at the NAC.
I was considering the possibility of Rough Rapids as a bit of a tribute to the old name without using the Riders.

Also, since you brought it up, standing ovations for something mediocre annoys me. It becomes an obligation, and now the only way a performer knows the performance was truly exceptional is if they have to come out for half a dozen standing ovations. Which is ridiculous.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 5:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
what? no "z"?

I hate names that have deliberate spelling mistakes in them.

In the case of this market Rapidz is also not the best choice because it makes somewhat illogical to refer to the team as the Rapides (pronounced the French way), like the Senators are always referred to as the Sénateurs.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 5:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Hah!

I proposed the Voyageurs and Rapids.
Two good choices.

My money would be on the Rapids.

Voyageurs is an awesome name too but I am not sure it is 100% sellable across all segments of the market OSEG is targeting.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I hate names that have deliberate spelling mistakes in them.

In the case of this market Rapidz is also not the best choice because it makes somewhat illogical to refer to the team as the Rapides (pronounced the French way), like the Senators are always referred to as the Sénateurs.
It was a joke; am I the only one who remembers these guys? http://ottawarapids.com/ funnily enough they were actually supposed to be brought back for another season and renamed the "Voyageurs," but that never happened

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:21 AM

Stupid STUPID suggestions.

Rapids? What the hell is that? Oh boy, a bunch of waves, yay. Besides, would you want to associate your company with one that FAILED miserably?

Voyageurs? What are they, a bus company? Yeah, not going to happen.

Look, OSEG asked for suggestions, not a poll, and not a vote. They aren't going to pick the most popular, as Jeff Hunt stated this morning on the radio, they'll pick or MAKE UP ONE that they feel is the most likely to help the franchise succeed. In other words, which is the best to market and which will be most likely to help build an audience for a new franchise. And cRapids or Voyageurs AIN'T it, my friends. Speaking as an experienced marketing professional, both of those are either:

1.) Associated with another company
2.) Associated with FAILURE
3.) Lame, Lame, and more lame.

They've also got to consider logos. What's the logo for Rapids, a bunch of squiggly lines? Great. Should the Voyageurs be Dave Foley and Kevin Macdonald in fur hats (if you don't get that, nevermind), boy that'd sell like HOT CAKES!

The facination with local history in the team's name is just mind bogglingly stupid. How many Lions are in BC? Or Eskimos in Edmonton. Or... I could go on and on.

We KNOW the colours are Black, Red and White. That's a given, by ownership and THAT'S the history connection. It's the original colours of the Ottawa Athletic Club WAAAAAAAAAAY back in 1890's. The name is just to bring... panache. Or cool factor, or awesome... you know.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:46 AM

Wow, you're making a real jackass of yourself.

Welcome to the forum.

You're welcome.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:24 AM
Closed account

I don't think anyone suggested it was a vote or contest.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
How many Lions are in BC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lions_%28peaks%29

Specifically:

Quote:
The city's BC Lions CFL football team is also named in their honour.
The Toronto Argonauts are named after a local rowing club from the late 19th century. The Alouettes are named after a popular French-Canadian children's song. The Stampeders are named after a local... well, stampede.

Quote:
Speaking as an experienced marketing professional
I'm finding this hard to believe.

Please, since you're SO experienced and SO professional, what are some team names YOU think would work? Or are you just here to puff your chest out and tell us how wrong we all are?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 2:36 PM

Kilroy, just took the fun out of this thread. Remind me not to sit next to him during games.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 3:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Rapids? What the hell is that? Oh boy, a bunch of waves, yay. Besides, would you want to associate your company with one that FAILED miserably?

Voyageurs? What are they, a bus company? Yeah, not going to happen.

Look, OSEG asked for suggestions, not a poll, and not a vote. They aren't going to pick the most popular, as Jeff Hunt stated this morning on the radio, they'll pick or MAKE UP ONE that they feel is the most likely to help the franchise succeed. In other words, which is the best to market and which will be most likely to help build an audience for a new franchise. And cRapids or Voyageurs AIN'T it, my friends. Speaking as an experienced marketing professional, both of those are either:

1.) Associated with another company
2.) Associated with FAILURE
3.) Lame, Lame, and more lame.

They've also got to consider logos. What's the logo for Rapids, a bunch of squiggly lines? Great. Should the Voyageurs be Dave Foley and Kevin Macdonald in fur hats (if you don't get that, nevermind), boy that'd sell like HOT CAKES!

The facination with local history in the team's name is just mind bogglingly stupid. How many Lions are in BC? Or Eskimos in Edmonton. Or... I could go on and on.

We KNOW the colours are Black, Red and White. That's a given, by ownership and THAT'S the history connection. It's the original colours of the Ottawa Athletic Club WAAAAAAAAAAY back in 1890's. The name is just to bring... panache. Or cool factor, or awesome... you know.
OK, how about the Ottawa Bievers, then? And if you pronounce the V the Spanish way, it sort of sounds like a B! Even more cool, awesome, panache-y!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 4:57 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:

Let's see. Black, Red and White...hmmm...how about:

The Ottawa Wounded Zebras? (kinda goes with the Lions and the Tigercats, they have to have something to feed on)

The Ottawa Ink-on-the-Constitution Spoilers? (oops too historical)

The Ottawa Suns? The Ottawa Citizens? (what, they're black and white and read all over)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 9:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Let's see. Black, Red and White...hmmm...how about:

The Ottawa Wounded Zebras? (kinda goes with the Lions and the Tigercats, they have to have something to feed on)

The Ottawa Ink-on-the-Constitution Spoilers? (oops too historical)

The Ottawa Suns? The Ottawa Citizens? (what, they're black and white and read all over)
The Ottawa Citizens reminds me of the Greendale Human Being.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
The Ottawa Citizens reminds me of the Greendale Human Being.

The team name definately needs an "R" so I'm going with the Raging Homers.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:44 AM

The Rabblerousers.

but still my favourite, the Red Coats, certainly representative of our early military history, our earliest settlers in Richmond who were veterans of the War of 1812 and we could have bright red jerseys and the traditional black helmets with the 'R'. We will still be celebrating the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 when we are launching the team so that can be taken advantage of.

There would be all kinds of marketing possibilities based on our military heritage, which could have a special appeal in the Upper Ottawa valley and I could see fans having fun dressing up just as Senators' fans dress up as Roman centurians.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:47 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Ruf Reyders

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
but still my favourite, the Red Coats
That would never fly, the francos would cause a sh*tstorm.

Edit: what I meant to say is that I was under the impression that glorifying the culture of colonial English warfare might seem offensive to some french people. Yes I know some of our cultural uniforms are based on red coats but who knows perhaps some french are offended by those two. From what I've seen in the discussion about the team name, it is my understanding that a name that is inclusive of both French and English heritage is preferred. I just thought the idea of "Red Coats" would be counterintuitive to that.

Anyways I guess my post was considered offensive because of the words I used. My bad.

Last edited by matty14; Dec 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM. Reason: PC correction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation