HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
The black circle is serrated, like the circular saws used in lumber mills. Perhaps it is meant to pay homage to Ottawa's lumbering past.
That's a stretch. How many would even consider that?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:15 PM

I wonder if the owners will ever put forward their reasoning for this name. I'm not so much against the name as I am bewildered by the choice.

I would argue most professional sports teams eventually acquire a nick name of sorts. Senators-Sens, Blue Jays-Jays, Maple Leafs-Leafs.

I wonder what nick name might emerge for the RedBlacks? I doubt it will be either "the Reds" or "the Blacks". It could be "the R-B's", but spoken out loud, that sounds like a certain fast food chain. Maybe like The Montreal Canadiens and the nick name "Habs", someone might stumble upon a more endearing nick name.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:19 PM

The logo's OK, but the name is not original and it doesn't represent Ottawa in any way. Plus, the French version RougeNoir sounds like some stuck up Parisian movie or something.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
I wonder if the owners will ever put forward their reasoning for this name. I'm not so much against the name as I am bewildered by the choice.

I would argue most professional sports teams eventually acquire a nick name of sorts. Senators-Sens, Blue Jays-Jays, Maple Leafs-Leafs.

I wonder what nick name might emerge for the RedBlacks? I doubt it will be either "the Reds" or "the Blacks". It could be "the R-B's", but spoken out loud, that sounds like a certain fast food chain. Maybe like The Montreal Canadiens and the nick name "Habs", someone might stumble upon a more endearing nick name.
Hmmm, how about the nick name North Side Sucks.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I am refraining from entering this discussion because I think the name is that stupid.

But I did notice the circular saw blade and also immediately wondered if it was inspired by Ottawa's lumbering past. Or would the industry here have been more inclined to use those giant bandsaws?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3i6 View Post
Hmmm, how about the nick name North Side Sucks.
EXCELLENT point. The problem with that, of course, is that it's the south side that sucks.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The logo's OK, but the name is not original and it doesn't represent Ottawa in any way. Plus, the French version RougeNoir sounds like some stuck up Parisian movie or something.
Not a big fan of the name but red and black are the traditional colours for Ottawa's sports teams: Senators, Rough Riders, Renegades, 67's...

I believe the red and black tradition comes from the soldiers in the changing of the guard, who have red uniforms and black hats.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe the Buzzsaws -because of that circular saw thingy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not a big fan of the name but red and black are the traditional colours for Ottawa's sports teams: Senators, Rough Riders, Renegades, 67's...
And after almost 15 years without a team, this is the best name that anyone could come up with? Colours I have no problem with.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
And after almost 15 years without a team, this is the best name that anyone could come up with? Colours I have no problem with.
7 years, the renegade were suspended in 2006.

Edit: I am developing a strange affinity to the name red blacks. I hope that they also will use the Ottawa " red and black," similar to rouge et or.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 1:48 PM

I actually kind of like it. This type of name is unique in Canada, but definately not the world (see all blacks). I think it is the type of name that will stand the test of time. See Raptors for a kitchy team name that sucks from a merchandise perspective and I consider it to be a bit childish.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I believe the red and black tradition comes from the soldiers in the changing of the guard, who have red uniforms and black hats.
Of course, so use the colours, but don't name the team after the colours.

I was disappointed the Skyhawk basketball team (slightly better name IMO) didn't use the Red and Black colours.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 12:30 AM
National Capital Region

AM 1200 will have the RedBlacks games
http://www.obj.ca/Local/Sports-and-e...C-Fury-games/1

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 2:00 PM
National Capital Region

first pre-season game is today in Regina
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...game-1.2675642

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
first pre-season game is today in Regina
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...game-1.2675642
This game is being carried on TSN2.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 3:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Thought this might be noteworthy...

Was on the family summer BBQ circuit in Gatineau and there was actually a slight buzz about the RedBlacks among the men, much to my surprise.

This is probably the first time in 20 years I have heard the boys from this side of the river talking about the CFL in Ottawa (there is occasional chat about the Alouettes BTW) and guys expressing their intent to attend games at Lansdowne.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 2:05 AM

As a long time season ticket holder, we may be seeing the best football since the Clements/Holloway era of 1975-1979. The no huddle offense is a novel tactic that seems to be catching opposing defenses unprepared. Let's hope that this continues.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
As a long time season ticket holder, we may be seeing the best football since the Clements/Holloway era of 1975-1979. The no huddle offense is a novel tactic that seems to be catching opposing defenses unprepared. Let's hope that this continues.
Yeah, watching that game yesterday it occurred to me that this is actually a good football team. That kind of snuck up on me. Too bad it's happening in a year when the East is strong.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 11:09 PM

Ottawa RedBlacks gain bonus home game October 6 against the Argos, who were booted out of the Skydome thanks to the Jay's stellar run to the playoffs.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/16/...onus-home-game

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 11:31 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ottawa RedBlacks gain bonus home game October 6 against the Argos, who were booted out of the Skydome thanks to the Jay's stellar run to the playoffs.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/09/16/...onus-home-game
Good news for the REDBLACKS. That's complete BS for the Argos. They're getting booted out of their home stadium on the speculation of a conflicting playoff game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation