HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 10:03 PM

Thanks for sharing, Mark! That old block has a certain charm, that's for sure. I've never seen any pictures of that brick fraternity, really cool.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:06 AM

Glad you enjoyed. I'm always on the lookout for cool old pics that I haven't seen before. If I find anything of interest the first thing I think of is sharing them on skyscraper, just in case anybody might find it as interesting as I do...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:26 PM
Cap the Cut!

A beautiful restoration on Gottingen Street. The Narrows Public House will be opening in January (I think). Google it and you should be able to find the 'kickstarter' video which takes you on a bit of a tour through the house. The owners have spent the last 7 years on the restoration/renovation.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
A beautiful restoration on Gottingen Street. The Narrows Public House will be opening in January (I think). Google it and you should be able to find the 'kickstarter' video which takes you on a bit of a tour through the house. The owners have spent the last 7 years on the restoration/renovation.
That's very neat. I like what they are doing there and wish them great success!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Looks nice!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for the remembrances. Sounds like it was taken down when I was very, very young, so I don't have any direct memories of it.

I know I have seen another photo of it, in colour, perhaps taken from the bridge in the late 1960s. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
I have memories of it too, similar to those of others here. It always struck me as a slightly disreputable place thanks to its run-down appearance. I remember the taxi office in the basement and the large Star Weekly sign on the front which these pics don't show all that well. I remember it from waiting in the back seat of the car when Dad ran inside Camilles to pick up take-out orders of F&C.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the remembrances. Sounds like it was taken down when I was very, very young, so I don't have any direct memories of it.

I know I have seen another photo of it, in colour, perhaps taken from the bridge in the late 1960s. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
http://www.forposterityssake.ca/RCN-DOCS/CAMILLE.htm

Memory is a funny thing. I 'remember' being at Camille's in the early 80's and maybe the late 80's. And I can remember there being a tavern on North around the corner from Camille's. The name Ocean comes to mind, but maybe that the name of the one down by Water st that was torn down.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post

Memory is a funny thing. I 'remember' being at Camille's in the early 80's and maybe the late 80's. And I can remember there being a tavern on North around the corner from Camille's. The name Ocean comes to mind, but maybe that the name of the one down by Water st that was torn down.
Yes, I think the Ocean was the one on Water St in the block with the BMO Tower and 1801 Hollis. I think the tavern next to Camille's might have been called the Seaway? Not sure.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:32 PM

Quote:

Memory is a funny thing. I 'remember' being at Camille's in the early 80's and maybe the late 80's. And I can remember there being a tavern on North around the corner from Camille's. The name Ocean comes to mind, but maybe that's the name of the one down by Water st that was torn down.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yes, I think the Ocean was the one on Water St in the block with the BMO Tower and 1801 Hollis. I think the tavern next to Camille's might have been called the Seaway? Not sure.
Correct on both counts, Keith.

A couple of buddies and I had never been to the Ocean and decided that, purely out of historical interest and a sense of civic duty, we should pay a last-chance visit shortly before it was torn down to make way for the Central Trust/1801 Hollis tower. And, man, was it a dive! Plain plywood "decor", sawdust and gawd-knows-what-else on the floor. Two quick drafts and we were gone.

I never was in the Seaway, but certainly spent a lot of late-night hours at Camille's after a night downtown. Their food really was first-rate. I was sad to see it go.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post

Memory is a funny thing. I 'remember' being at Camille's in the early 80's and maybe the late 80's. And I can remember there being a tavern on North around the corner from Camille's. The name Ocean comes to mind, but maybe that's the name of the one down by Water st that was torn down.
Great link. Thanks for that. Good to see you back on the forum - haven't seen you post in a while.

Here's a pic of the Ocean Tavern (far left) taken from the intersection of George and Lower Water in 1958:

Source

Another one from 1958:

Source

And one in colour from 1956:

Source

I think it's notable that it was looking run-down even in the 1950s...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Correct on both counts, Keith.

A couple of buddies and I had never been to the Ocean and decided that, purely out of historical interest and a sense of civic duty, we should pay a last-chance visit shortly before it was torn down to make way for the Central Trust/1801 Hollis tower. And, man, was it a dive! Plain plywood "decor", sawdust and gawd-knows-what-else on the floor. Two quick drafts and we were gone.

I never was in the Seaway, but certainly spent a lot of late-night hours at Camille's after a night downtown. Their food really was first-rate. I was sad to see it go.
The Ocean Tavern must have moved up to Hollis after Lower Water? Here's a pic of that block (including the Ocean) having been cleared in 1969 to make way for the law courts building:

Source

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Great link. Thanks for that. Good to see you back on the forum - haven't seen you post in a while.

Here's a pic of the Ocean Tavern (far left) taken from the intersection of George and Lower Water in 1958...Another one from 1958...And one in colour from 1956...I think it's notable that it was looking run-down even in the 1950s...
Hmm...clearly it moved across the street sometime after 1958, then. Those photos show it on the east (harbor) side of Upper Water, in the area now occupied by the Law Courts and the ferry terminal. When I knew it, it was on the west side, in the block now occupied by the 1801 Hollis tower. That neon sign was definitely the same, though.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
The Ocean Tavern must have moved up to Hollis after Lower Water? Here's a pic of that block (including the Ocean) having been cleared in 1969 to make way for the law courts building
Hah! You must have posted that while I was composing the reply I just posted a moment ago. We crossed in the ether...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 8:00 PM

One small point often forgotten was that the tavern known as Maxwell's Plum originally opened in their Grafton St location in the early '80s (I think) as the latest incarnation of the Ocean Tavern, but only operated under that name there for a short time before rebranding as Maxwell's.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:22 AM

The bar that I remember was on the west side of water st, maybe in the late 70s, I recall playing asteroids there.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:36 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:42 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:49 AM

https://halifax.retales.ca/2018/01/w...-50-years-ago/

A picture of the Seaway Tavern is on this map

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
One small point often forgotten was that the tavern known as Maxwell's Plum originally opened in their Grafton St location in the early '80s (I think) as the latest incarnation of the Ocean Tavern, but only operated under that name there for a short time before rebranding as Maxwell's.
So it went from Lower Water Street, east side, to Lower Water Street west side (presumably to one of the buildings on the left in the photos below?), then from there to Maxwell's site, until it became Maxwell's. That's quite a history for what sounded like a run-down old tavern that seemed to be on its last legs.

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos