HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
First of all there is no such race as Italian, It's cultural discrimination and it exists in Hamilton whether you like it or not.
Whatever you want to call it, its existence is one thing but projecting it upon someone else's methods of reasoning is quite another.

Quote:
It's intersting that a moron like yourself would be telling me to grow up.
I don't think this sentence really needs to be responded to - it's quite hilarious and telling as it is.

Quote:
You guys are a bunch of dreamers with no clue of what is involved in the real estate or land development industry.
So I guess you are a developer with enough experience to understand everything about the industry? I guess we should be bowing down to thank you for gracing us with your presence!

Quote:
If any of you really wanted to make a difference, you would get up off your asses and do something. Since most of you guys think it's easy, why don't you purchase a property in the core and restore it yourselves.
1. Some of us are doing things on a daily basis.
2. None of us thinks it's easy.
3. Some of us have and are.

Honestly, what are you doing here? If you are going to be an asshole, take it somewhere else. No one has claimed to be an expert at renovating buildings. We are mostly calling for sanity from council and developers. Ending tax breaks to speculators, reducing subsidies to corporations who are only in it for the public cash, enforcing property standards on absentee landlords, etc. Your tax dollars are hard at work lining developers pockets. If you don't understand how or why, then you have a lot of catching up to do in this forum.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 4:12 AM
Hammer'd

Well said, now back to the topic at hand.

When are those Vanbots signs coming off the building?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:11 AM
Closed account

as soon as people in this city care enough to force council to step in and enforce property standards, bylaws and get the building officially designated so renegade thugs like LIUNA and their deadbeat friends can't hijack the city into lining their pockets with more money.
So far Hamiltonians are getting what we constantly vote for.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 12:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
So far Hamiltonians are getting what we constantly vote for.
I voted for Bratina! I'm somwhat content w/ his work so far. He replies to my (many many) emails with positive responses. It seems he actually tries his hardest to balance His Constituents vs The City in Whole when making decisions and/or voting in Council.

If he could only learn to keep his pen in his hands

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 2:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
I voted for Bratina! I'm somwhat content w/ his work so far. He replies to my (many many) emails with positive responses. It seems he actually tries his hardest to balance His Constituents vs The City in Whole when making decisions and/or voting in Council.

If he could only learn to keep his pen in his hands

I mean in a more general sense. I voted for McHattie and think he's the best councilor we've had in decades.
By and large though, council blows.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 2:20 PM
Closed account

WAHOOO!!!

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - The Royal Connaught Hotel in downtown Hamilton may soon have a new owner.
There's word an agreement has been reached for the sale of the landmark to a group which includes prominent Toronto developer Harry Stinson.

The deal is expected to close by the end of March.

Sources indicate Stinson plans to renovate the building into a boutique hotel and condominium apartments.

No word on the price tag, but it's expected work on the project will begin as soon as possible.

The development may also include a new condo tower.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 3:29 PM
BANNED

I'm still skeptical about this. I would like to know who his financial backers are and exactly what position he has in this group.

When the sale closes I will check the LR office record to see who actually bought it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:34 PM
Hammer'd

That is incredibly awesome news. I really hope the deal closes and work starts immediately.

Cheers Harry, if you pull this off you will usher in a new age for downtown Hamilton.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:35 PM

Harry Stinson is on CHML right now!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:52 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
I'm still skeptical about this. I would like to know who his financial backers are and exactly what position he has in this group.

When the sale closes I will check the LR office record to see who actually bought it.
fair enough, but this if from Harry's mouth on CHML.

"This is my total focus. There is an agreement in place. I certainly have every intention of proceeding with it. The ball is in my court now.
There is signed paper and a deposit."

It's happening. New blood that actually BUILDS and INVESTS their own money and believes in Hamilton as a real city, a real community.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:53 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Please post a summary of what he says as I'm not able to listen myself but am very intersted.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:55 PM

seems like he will model it after 1KW.

He will infill the parking lot. a commercial podium with four wings accessible from all sides, 24 hour food store, "VERY SIGNIFICANT RESIDENTIAL TOWER OUR INTENTION IS TO PUT A WOW BUILDING THERE"> holy moly. !!!!!!!

THe city said the height limit is 80 meters, they told Harry to bring us your plans and we'll reconsider the limit.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:57 PM

First Phase
will restore the ballroom, put back food & beverage, restore the hotel and fill in the floors that he feels were to have a significant view of John street.

Second phase is a commercial podium with a retail mall and 24 hour grocery store that will fill in the entire parking lot. Above that is likely going to be Hamilton's new tallest or number two.

Last edited by realcity; Feb 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 5:00 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

This is actually quite beyond my wildest hopes. I do hope his ambition is not checked by the reality of doing (or rather, attempting to do) business in Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 5:08 PM

He commented about the city. And he said they were fine to work with. Neither he nor the city is playing hard ball or acting inappropriate. THe city is acting very professional. Another false rumour we always hear about the city from our local so-called investors.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 5:09 PM
Hammer'd

Holy hell. This is amazing beyond words.

BTW he was on CH just minutes ago as well. Basically said the same as was already posted. Looked like they were interviewing him inside his living room. The backdrop was Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 5:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Condo king buys Royal Connaught for $9.5M

February 28, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

One-time Toronto condo king Harry Stinson is buying the Royal Connaught for $9.5 million and plans a boutique hotel and 200-condominioum complex.

Stinson has signed an agreement to purchase the hotel from a local investment group that includes the Labourers International Union of North America.

A team of local and Toronto architects is working on plans for the project.
Watch thespec.com for further details.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:

You do that.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
He commented about the city. And he said they were fine to work with. Neither he nor the city is playing hard ball or acting inappropriate. THe city is acting very professional. Another false rumour we always hear about the city from our local so-called investors.

so true...all the little idiots running around in Hamilton pretending that they are legit business-people are hilarious. They always blame the city or some other group for THEIR failure. Quit sucking and being such cheap tightwads and maybe you'd actually make some money by offering quality product.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
You do that.
Before you continue your love affair with Harry in this, you should know that the sale is by no means a done deal, this is only the first step. These things fall apart all the time. It's important to remember that Harry doesn't have two dimes to rub together, has no credit worthiness, and doesn't even own the house he is currently living in, he rents. How can a guy with no assets or credit worthiness put this together?

He is nothing more than a Syndicator and he still has to come up with the people to front the cash for both the purchase and development. He will NOT have any success gathering partners in Toronto, his reputation is done over there. If he is hoping to find rich suckers in Hamilton to back him, he going to be disappointed.

His exit strategy for this will be the same when it fails, he'll just leave his investors holding the bag much like he did with the Mirvish family and 1 King.

BTW, are you going to contribute cash to Harry's project if you are approached?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton