HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 3:48 AM

Adding a few photos from this week at the Moncton Airport.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 1:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I presume that the RCAF flight was to Poland or Latvia in order to support our army deployment over there.

I imagine the troops are from CFB Gagetown. I wonder why they wouldn't use the Fredericton International Airport???

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I presume that the RCAF flight was to Poland or Latvia in order to support our army deployment over there.

I imagine the troops are from CFB Gagetown. I wonder why they wouldn't use the Fredericton International Airport???
possibly runway length? That is the only thing I could think of if it was Gagetown troops.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
possibly runway length? That is the only thing I could think of if it was Gagetown troops.
These land in Freddy on a regular basis to move CFB troops around the planet so doubt this particular one had anything to do with runway length

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
These land in Freddy on a regular basis to move CFB troops around the planet so doubt this particular one had anything to do with runway length
\

thanks, the plane did not look that big.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Yeah much larger planes have used yfc plenty of times in the past (eg 747 landed here for a military flight a few years back, in addition to other large cargo planes for military related Flights). The one in in the image looks like a 737.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 2:05 PM

Quote:

There were 3 buses full of troops. One of the buses was a CAF bus and the other 2 were Maritime Bus. This flight went to Cold Lake Alberta.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Yeah much larger planes have used yfc plenty of times in the past (eg 747 landed here for a military flight a few years back, in addition to other large cargo planes for military related Flights). The one in in the image looks like a 737.
Its an Airbus A310. Quite a bit larger and heavier than a 737. Almost twice as heavy fully loaded.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
Its an Airbus A310. Quite a bit larger and heavier than a 737. Almost twice as heavy fully loaded.
It is possible that runway length could have been a factor (if the plane was fully loaded with passengers and military kit).

06/24 at YQM is 3048m. 09/27 at YFC is 2440m.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
It is possible that runway length could have been a factor (if the plane was fully loaded with passengers and military kit).

Very possible. The A310-300 (or CC-150 as it's known in military trim) needs about 2300m takeoff run at max gross I believe.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:38 AM

Quote:

8000ft is more than enough. Before runway 6/24 was extended at YQM the longest runway at YQM was 11/29 which was 8000ft and these A310s were regular visitors back then for troop movements.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 11:42 PM

Saint John Airport Terminal Expansion

From the CBC today:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...port-1.6432836

Quote:
Airport president and CEO Sandy Ross says the surge in passenger traffic means the departure lounge has to grow, and fast.

"We're actually in the process now," he said in an interview Wednesday, noting the lounge will almost double in size to nearly 5,000 square feet from the current 3,000.

"We've only been able to seat about 140 people in that space up until recently," Ross said.
Quote:
The expansion, which will allow the lounge to accommodate 300 people, will involve "moving into some dead space" that currently surrounds the area, reorienting ticket desks, and expanding the walls out on the entire departure area, Ross said.

Plans to add a dining area inside the departure lounge – which were ready to go but then shelved by the pandemic – are also "back on the table."

"We're just working out the details now with Transport Canada," Ross said. "It should be in place when we're done with construction ... literally on Day One."

Construction is set to begin in about a week and is expected to be completed in about 12 weeks, he said.
Very quick turnaround. Will be interested to see how they re-arrange things and what the expansion footprint will look like. As it stands, the terminal is dated and pretty tight, having gone through smaller, piecemeal expansions over the years. Security screening currently takes up about 1/3 of the available space in the departures atrium, and I've always thought they would need to move security into a new space if they had any hope of fitting more people in there. Check-in area is in dire need of a re-work/expansion too. Shame they weren't able to have shovels in the ground pre-covid and take advantage of the lull in traffic to complete (as YFC did).

EDIT: the TJ had an article with a few more details, making it clear that the changes are being made within the current building footprint. So more of a large re-organizing of the current space - moving security, re-organizing checkin, building out the walls of the departure area, and the addition of food service inside the departure area.

Last edited by magee_b; Apr 28, 2022 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 2:26 AM

WestJet DH8D aircraft coming in for landing at YQM.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Swoop had their inaugural flight out of YQM yesterday.

This image from the T&T shows the aircraft arriving from Hamilton (with 150 passengers on board) receiving a salute from airport fire/rescue vehicles. The return trip to Hamilton later that day was also sell-out with 150 passengers on board.

The Moncton/Edmonton service via Swoop will commence on June 17th.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 2:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Current flight connections map for YQM (Moncton)

from flight connections.com

Note that the PAL route to Deer Lake goes on to St. John's as well (same equipment). The Porter route to Ottawa also goes on to Toronto City (Billy Bishop).

When I was browsing last night, I was surprised to see an arrival at the airport from LHR (London), a 787, but, this appears to have been a diversion from YUL (Montreal). Perhaps there was a medical emergency or something.........

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Flair announced 4 new Atlantic routes in the last 2 days.

YOW - YYG (starts July 6)
YYZ - YHZ (starts May 1)
https://twitter.com/FlairAirlines/st...JBIBhZC7XSoi3Q

YKF - YSJ (starts June 8)
YKF - YYG (starts June 9)
https://media.flyflair.com/flair-air...d-50-new-jobs/
Looks like the YKF - YSJ flights which were supposed to begin today have been scrubbed. First flight shows cancelled and future bookings aren't available. Can't imagine the bookings would have been particularly strong without some sort of one-stop service onto another destination. A YSJ-YKF-YEG same plane service (where you stay onboard and they simply make a stop to pick-up more passengers) possibly could have made more sense for the YSJ market.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 3:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There was an advertisement in the T&T today (full page ad, page A8) claiming direct flights via Porter to Montreal from both Fredericton and Moncton. I have never seen this before. Has there been a new route added recently?

If so, this would mean daily non stops to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal via Porter from Moncton. Does anyone know if this is actually the case, or is going to happen soon?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
There was an advertisement in the T&T today (full page ad, page A8) claiming direct flights via Porter to Montreal from both Fredericton and Moncton. I have never seen this before. Has there been a new route added recently?

If so, this would mean daily non stops to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal via Porter from Moncton. Does anyone know if this is actually the case, or is going to happen soon?

For Montreal it’s either a cnnection in Ottawa or Toronto or even both.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 5:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
For Montreal it’s either a cnnection in Ottawa or Toronto or even both.
The ad specifically states "non-stop", therefore presumably direct.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
The ad specifically states "non-stop", therefore presumably direct.
If that’s the case it’s the first time I heard of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces