HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
They definitely aren't essential.

But I've held the belief that the general idea is to not 100% 'shut down' all business at once. California did something similar - it started VERY broad - and they chip away at it. The State keeps it vague INTENTIONALLY, imo.

Frankly, business owners that own non-essential businesses (and employees for that matter) can see the writing on the wall (myself included). This affords the potentially affected valuable time to get their affairs in order, to the best of their abilities given the situation.
I know that Ducey got pilloried for the vagueness, but I think he got it right. It takes some time to get this straight, and it's important to give small businesses time to make adjustments. I'm actually impressed with how people are trying to MacGyver their way through this situation.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I can't believe haircuts were ever considered essential to begin with. I canceled all of my appointments for dentist, hair, etc.

And those numbers are pretty big.
Man glad I got a haircut on Sunday. I just hope my one chair independent barber can reopen after this.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 12:06 AM
self-important urbanista

When I saw my barber a week ago, he told me it was his last day of keeping his shop open. In addition to health concerns, he felt that if he stayed open, his landlord would then expect him to keep paying rent even though his business was way down. If he closed entirely, he might have a stronger position for rent concessions. He’s probably relieved now to have the governor backing up his position. If he’s not allowed to be open, he may have an even better case for reducing or skipping his rent payments. I’m normally someone who gets a haircut every two weeks on payday. I’m going to have to get comfortable with some combination of cutting my own hair and tolerating my own shagginess for a while.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 1:20 AM

Businesses are getting creative, you are right about that. A friend owns a bike shop and a couple of restaurants and he very early on decided everything he did can be done as a delivery or pick up model. They're making pizzas still and the full service restaurant is doing a special meal each night and have been selling out. They're bottling "craft" cocktails too. They were one of the first to do this. The bike shop is doing mobile repairs and offering to pick up and drop off bikes.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Businesses are getting creative, you are right about that. A friend owns a bike shop and a couple of restaurants and he very early on decided everything he did can be done as a delivery or pick up model. They're making pizzas still and the full service restaurant is doing a special meal each night and have been selling out. They're bottling "craft" cocktails too. They were one of the first to do this. The bike shop is doing mobile repairs and offering to pick up and drop off bikes.
God bless 'em, and God love 'em. Rock on, Arizona!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Which place is this?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 10:51 PM

Jan 8th - First CDC warning
Jan 9th - Trump campaign rally
Jan 14th - Trump campaign rally
Jan 16h - House sends impeachment articles to Senate
Jan 18th - Trump golfs
Jan 19th - Trump golfs
Jan- 20th- First case in South Korea
Jan 20th - First case of corona virus in the US, Washington State
Jan 22nd - “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
Jan 28th - Trump campaign rally
Jan 30th - Trump campaign rally
Feb 1st - Trump golfs
Feb 2nd - “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China."
Feb 10th - Trump campaign rally
Feb 12th - Dow Jones closes at an all time high of 29,551.42
Feb 15h - Trump golfs
Feb 19th - Trump campaign rally
Feb 20th - Trump campaign rally
Feb 21st - Trump campaign rally
Feb 24th - “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
Feb 25h - “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
Feb 25h - “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
Feb 26th - “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
Feb 26th - “We're going very substantially down, not up.” Also "This is a flu. This is like a flu"; "Now, you treat this like a flu"; "It's a little like the regular flu that we have flu shots for. And we'll essentially have a flu shot for this in a fairly quick manner."
February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
Feb 28th - “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
Feb 28th - Trump campaign rally
March 2nd - “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
March 2nd - “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
March 5th - “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
March 5th - “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
March 6th - “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
March 6th - “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
March 6th - “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”
March 6th - “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”
March 7th - Trump golfs
March 8th - Trump golfs
March 8th - “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”
March 9th - “This blindsided the world.”
March 10th - “And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”
March 11th - The WHO declared the global outbreak a pandemic.
March 13th - [Declared state of emergency]
March 17th - “This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”
March 18th - "It’s not racist at all. No. Not at all. It comes from China. That’s why. It comes from China. I want to be accurate."
March 23th- Dow Jones closes at 18,591.93
March 25th - 3.3 million Americans file for unemployment.
March 28th - “I say, ‘Mike, don’t call the governor in Washington, you’re wasting your time with him. Don’t call the woman in Michigan... You know what I say, if they don’t treat you right, I don’t call.'”
April 1st - "So you’re talking about 2.2 million deaths, 2.2 million people from this. And so if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000. It’s a horrible number, maybe even less —but to 100,000. So we have between 100,000 and 200,000, and we altogether have done a very good job."
April 2nd - 6.6 million Americans file for unemployment.
April 4th - 297,575 COVID19 cases and 8,098 deaths in US.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 11:09 PM

WOW, SunDevil. Amazing timeline you compiled. Sad but true timeline!!!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Which place is this?
Restaurant progress, Dino's pizzeria and The Velo.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
I know that Ducey got pilloried for the vagueness, but I think he got it right. It takes some time to get this straight, and it's important to give small businesses time to make adjustments. I'm actually impressed with how people are trying to MacGyver their way through this situation.
I am late to the discussion and I know you and I don't often agree but I couldn't agree with you anymore here!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:39 PM

My opinion is that this forum works best when we keep the political banter out of it.

Keeping this thread to help share coronavirus related news/facts related to the Phoenix area I think is positive.

Using it to score ‘points’ by bashing Trump, the Democrats or anyone in between doesn’t seem to follow the spirit of the other threads that we generally follow.

Can we agree to just put that aside for now? No one is likely to change anyone’s opinion by spouting off talking points of the right or the left.

And right now - there are so many other sites you could jump into for that type of conversation. This site was somewhat of a sanctuary amongst all the chaos - and even somewhat positive with projects still showing progress.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:48 PM

I agree that this thread keeps the arguments out of the other threads, therefore it is a positive for the site.

I also agree that getting into politics right now is just senseless and doesn't help anyone do anything.

Be civil.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I am late to the discussion and I know you and I don't often agree but I couldn't agree with you anymore here!
That's the funny thing. Most of the folks that end up in arguments agree on much more than they disagree on. It's why I usually like to meet with folks over a beer, and with other topics to talk about. Glad we could get to something we agree on here.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 12:00 AM

In January of this year, when President Trump announced mandatory quarantines and banned Chinese travelers from entering our country, Democrats responded by thinking of more ways to waste taxpayers money - drumming up yet another impeachment trial - and calling the travel ban "racists." By the way, you needn't be so bitter that the President plays golf. You might want to consider taking it up - it might improve your image.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 12:29 AM
self-important urbanista

This thread might be of value if the discussion were focused on the local response to the pandemic and maybe speculation about how it will affect development and projects in Phoenix in the future. Instead, it’s yet another forum for pointless political debates. I think it was suggested earlier, but like Ripley once said, it should be nuked from orbit.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
This thread might be of value if the discussion were focused on the local response to the pandemic and maybe speculation about how it will affect development and projects in Phoenix in the future. Instead, it’s yet another forum for pointless political debates. I think it was suggested earlier, but like Ripley once said, it should be nuked from orbit.
Yup. Nuke it from orbit, just to be sure.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:36 PM

Yeah when you are faced with a factoid you don't like then it's "gotta kill the conversation." Although I agree with you both- this was suppose to be about statistics and issues on the ground but there's no point in continuing it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:38 PM

When it's a "factoid" coming from some random troll, sure. Nuke the damn thing. Where the hell is combusean anyways? lol he's been quiet lately.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
In January of this year, when President Trump announced mandatory quarantines and banned Chinese travelers from entering our country, Democrats responded by thinking of more ways to waste taxpayers money - drumming up yet another impeachment trial - and calling the travel ban "racists." By the way, you needn't be so bitter that the President plays golf. You might want to consider taking it up - it might improve your image.
I never thought i'll tell a Wildcat this but...thanks lol. Funny too our illustrious moderator also let's these convos go on (and it's 9/10 started by our friends on the left) and as soon as there are some reactionary comments here comes our knight in shining armor to moderate. It is a very biased forum. Just an observation- i'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:39 PM

This could be a great topic of conversation if people could behave.

Every point of contention I've seen in this chat has been started by wildcat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest