HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 7:56 PM

I got you. See below for a map and list I put together. Total units are 2,456.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
I got you. See below for a map and list I put together. Total units are 2,456.
Haha wow, this is why these forums are great. You're the man, thanks. Pretty wild to have 2500 units going up on that stretch.

Last edited by muertecaza; Feb 18, 2021 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:45 PM
Modulator

Awesome list! Thanks RE!

This whole stretch is going to get fairly dense with all these developments going up. Every time I drive out that way, it seems I see another development starting.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:12 PM

Not to mention all the projects going on next door in that part of Tempe (Bayan, Camden Phase II, various townhouse projects).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:40 PM

New 4-story apt and townhome project on main street in OT Scottsdale. I saw the fence up yesterday. The renderings in here look super cool, excited for this one to get going.
https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p..._DR_2017_2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
New 4-story apt and townhome project on main street in OT Scottsdale. I saw the fence up yesterday. The renderings in here look super cool, excited for this one to get going.
https://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/p..._DR_2017_2.pdf
Those look excellent!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 11:13 PM

Love it. Not too wild, not too boring.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:16 PM

Paradise Valley Mall will be largely demolished for a new 'town center.'

There's a good article on AZ Central about "Paradise Valley Town Center" but unfortunately, it's for subscribers only. I was able to grab the following site plan which gives a better idea on the scope of construction. City Council formally approved the rezoning yesterday.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...os/6783325002/
Quote:
What will happen first?

The first phase would transform the southeast corner of the mall property into a multi-story apartment building with 347 apartments, with retail on the ground floor. The developer has said in plans it's attempting to attract a specialty grocery store to the space.

The first step is the demolition of the Sears building, which is set to begin in the spring or summer. The store closed in 2019 when the company went bankrupt.

Construction of the apartments and retail is set to begin in the fall. After that, the timeline for the multi-phase project is unclear. A spokesperson for Macerich said Wednesday that the company will release more details about the plan soon.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:24 PM

So I don't see Costco on that map.... I already lost the one on Bethany Home and started going to PV Mall. Hope I don't lose that one.

edit: is costco the white rectangle?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
So I don't see Costco on that map.... I already lost the one on Bethany Home and started going to PV Mall. Hope I don't lose that one.

edit: is costco the white rectangle?
Next to parking garage. JC Penney, which is staying put, is right below it

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Next to parking garage. JC Penney, which is staying put, is right below it
Right! Costco is still on the map. They will keep Costco. It is busy store.

The Macy"s, Sears, Dilliard and other shop will be demolished. The Food Court will be gone, too.

They will keep Whataburger, See Candles, Wendy's, Chili's, Starbucks, Daycare Center, Gas station, Jewels store, Oregano, Chipotle, BMD Harris Bank, Panera Bread, Culver, Arizona Carwash Co, Compass Bank, too. They'll be there. They won't leave from PV Mall.

I am sure I can take a pictures of old PV Mall. I can posts a pictures. If I have enough time.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 12:14 PM
self-important urbanista

It's frustrating that the city council killed the light rail extension to PV Mall, but this is happening. Meanwhile, no such plan for MetroCenter has been announced, and the light rail extension to there is currently under construction. I have voiced reasons why I don't think the cancelled the NE extension was a good idea, but this still annoyingly ironic.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:20 PM
Skyriser

They didn't kill it, they baited and switched the city by shuffling road improvements first and the train towards the end of T2050.

I'm still holding out for "Prop 500"--the extension to 400--which should be in the planning stages and could hypothetically accelerate T2050 as well as program new services such as regional rail.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:35 PM
Skyriser

I noticed that the Kierland area has been booming with new units well beyond the optima project and figured I'd summarize it here.

A .4 mile stretch of 71st St between Kierland Commons and just south of Paradise Ln has become a pedestrian spine with 2,538 units on a contiguous 40 acre blob which includes the existing Paragon and Landmark developments. That should be around 57,000 people per square mile.

There's a a couple developments south on Kierland including RD Kierland, a 360 unit apartment redevelopment on the SEC of Greenway and Kierland and south of that is Kierland sky, a 540,000 sqft office redevelopment.

All of these are on the Phoenix PUD case list.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
They didn't kill it, they baited and switched the city by shuffling road improvements first and the train towards the end of T2050.

I'm still holding out for "Prop 500"--the extension to 400--which should be in the planning stages and could hypothetically accelerate T2050 as well as program new services such as regional rail.
No! They didn’t kill it. They should keep it, not abandon it. Not cancel the light rail to PV Mall. I doubt they will reintroduce again. They will reconsider again.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 1:30 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

Not officially a kill, but the deferral put it on life support with little hope of resuscitation.

Prop 500 is indeed being planned. It has a brand identity as "Momentum": https://www.ourmomentumplan.com/

I'm hoping for the best, but this could be a tough sell with the pandemic. There will inevitably be arguments that public transit shouldn't be expanded with ridership down and that much of the labor force will work from home forever. I'm deeply skeptical of any claims of permanent changes, but some voters may want to wait and see if commuting patterns rebound to pre-pandemic patterns before authorizing transit expansion and road building. I hope I'm wrong, though, because if Biden can actually get a major infrastructure deal done, there could be even more federal funding opportunities.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Not officially a kill, but the deferral put it on life support with little hope of resuscitation.

Prop 500 is indeed being planned. It has a brand identity as "Momentum": https://www.ourmomentumplan.com/

I'm hoping for the best, but this could be a tough sell with the pandemic. There will inevitably be arguments that public transit shouldn't be expanded with ridership down and that much of the labor force will work from home forever. I'm deeply skeptical of any claims of permanent changes, but some voters may want to wait and see if commuting patterns rebound to pre-pandemic patterns before authorizing transit expansion and road building. I hope I'm wrong, though, because if Biden can actually get a major infrastructure deal done, there could be even more federal funding opportunities.
Actually, Biden will make a deal. He'll consider it. He can give Valley Metro funding for Northeast Phoenix Expansion to PV Mall. If Valley Metro will have reconsider again. I doubt that. Let see what happens. If they negotiating to city council for the consideration.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

When will the vote be? The spike in population here, which the pandemic is further fueling, is going to strain freeways and roads even more, I think the continued support of the transportation tax will continue.

Proposition 400, which passed on November 2, 2004 at a 58-42 margin

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 5:16 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
When will the vote be? The spike in population here, which the pandemic is further fueling, is going to strain freeways and roads even more, I think the continued support of the transportation tax will continue.

Proposition 400, which passed on November 2, 2004 at a 58-42 margin
It's tentatively planned for November 2022, but there's the possibility of a deferral until November 2024. From the point of view of maintaining continuity of funding, 2022 is better because it would provide assurance of the current tax being continued (or even increased) well before it expires in early 2025. The feds like to see a predictable, long-term local funding source in place before they contribute to a project. If, however, the situation doesn't look favorable in 2022, then maybe you'd see a deferral with the hope for better prospects two years later.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 3:00 AM
Skyriser

The problem in deferring is that it could be a tax increase if it lapses. That never sits well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest