HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 5:49 PM

I always knew this tower wouldn't be cancelled, but I never expected it to be back on the table this soon. Hopefully this is u/c as fast as possible.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I always knew this tower wouldn't be cancelled, but I never expected it to be back on the table this soon. Hopefully this is u/c as fast as possible.
There are a lot of towers in the planning and/or talking-about stage in this same west/far-west mid-town area. And there is not an infinite supply of tenants...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
There are a lot of towers in the planning and/or talking-about stage in this same west/far-west mid-town area. And there is not an infinite supply of tenants...
Correct, but this one has an advantage, its right at major transit center.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
I like those stocky buildings but I LOVE those tall, skinnier ones, I hope to see more of them pop up all over the city.
Expect a lot of tall skinnier buildings in Lower Manhattan...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 12:41 AM

Seventh ave now dirty, untidy & lined with low buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Correct, but this one has an advantage, its right at major transit center.
Yerp, which gives me the opportunity to trot out the ~105 year old NY Trib newspaper front page posted below. Penn Station hadn't opened yet, the 7th Avenue subway had not been built yet, and plans for an immense hotel were being drawn. Penn Station was called a Terminal then because the Hells Gate RR bridge had not been built yet, which would allow a through route for the Penn RR back to the mainland via the Bronx and onto New England/Boston, in competition with the NY Central (GCT).

Partial text below headline:
"This shows a part of Seventh avenue (now dirty, untidy and lined with low buildings) as it is expected to look not long after the new Pennsylvania Railroad passenger terminal (shown in the centre of the picture at the left) begins to disgorge its passengers in the heart of Manhattan. Directly opposite the station, filling the block between 32d and 33d streets is an immense hotel, plans for which are being drawn."
Drawing is looking north up 7th Ave.

Library of Congress

Last edited by vkristof; Aug 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 6:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Expect a lot of tall skinnier buildings in Lower Manhattan...
I think thats the future for Manhattan not to mention the supertalls which are engineering marvels given their dimensions.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think thats the future for Manhattan not to mention the supertalls which are engineering marvels given their dimensions.
No I mean especially expect future tall skinny towers in Lower Manhattan. As in expect the center of the New York skyline to make a dramatic shift from Midtown to Lower Manhattan. If you can imagine that for a min.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 9:36 PM

I am usually pro preservationist but Hotel Penn is in bad shape. I would trade for very dense development and connection from Penn Station to Hearld Square.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post

It never made sense to me that it was shelved (if in in fact was). This is the first of the new towers on this side of Manhattan to ever get (and eventually lose) a tenant, and was close to being under construction. With everything else that's happening, seems it was only a matter of time it would be back in play.

http://www.nysun.com/business/merril...midtown/60427/

More....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/bu...ynch.html?_r=0

Merrill Lynch Expected to Quit Downtown for Midtown

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
October 25, 2007

Quote:
Merrill Lynch & Company, the world’s largest brokerage firm, appears ready to move its longtime headquarters from Lower Manhattan to a new skyscraper in Midtown, across Seventh Avenue from Pennsylvania Station, according to government officials and real estate executives.

Both Larry A. Silverstein, the developer at ground zero, and Brookfield Properties, Merrill’s current landlord at the nearby World Financial Center, submitted sweetened last-minute offers last week that were as much as $1 billion cheaper than the Midtown option, according to government officials and real estate executives who have been briefed on the negotiations.

But the investment bank has “given every indication,” those officials and executives said, that it plans to build a $4 billion, 3 million-square-foot tower on Seventh Avenue, between 32nd and 33rd Streets, that would be home for 11,000 employees.

The potential relocation, which would not occur until 2013, comes as Merrill reported $7.9 billion in write-downs yesterday, leading to its first quarterly loss in six years. State officials hold out hope that the company’s difficult financial situation will prompt it to reconsider leaving Lower Manhattan.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...3388CC0A85AC3C

Quote:
...Merrill Lynch execs would prefer to be at Vornado Realty Trust's Hotel Pennsylvania site opposite Madison Square Garden, sources told The Post.

While Brookfield Properties and Battery Park City officials have been able to enlarge their proposed trading floor addition by eating into the lobby of 2 World Financial Center, it would still mean relocating all of the employees for three to four years, as the investment bank doesn't want to endure a disruptive floor-by-floor renovation job.

"What Larry [Silverstein] has decked up financially is not superior to [Vornado's] Hotel Pennsylvania, and it's not big enough," our source said.

Top execs are expected to meet with city officials within a week to chomp the numbers and the land-use review time frame on the 3 million square-footer proposed by Vornado.

http://www.thecityreview.com/hotelpenn.html

Quote:
...At one point, Vornado was planning to build two very tall office buildings on the site of the existing Garden, but in recent months public officials were reported to have decided against such a plan as too crowded. The design of the planned towers was never released to the public but were understood to have been exquisite skyscrapers........As an indication of the rather incredible "momentum" that has suddenly been generated for reshaping an area notorious for its uninspired architect and very substantial traffic problems in the nearby Garment Center and the Lincoln Tunnel was the recent disclosure that Merrill Lynch was considered relocating from the World Financial Center at Battery Park City into a very large skyscraper on the existing site of the Hotel Pennsylvania, which is one of very many sites in the vicinity owned by Vornado Real Estate Trust.

The Merrill Lynch plan is astounding given recent disclosures about the fact that it has lost several billion dollars this year in investments related to sub-prime mortgages and that a move uptown might cost it about one billion dollars more than remaining in Lower Manhattan...........In January, 2007, Lehman Brothers expressed interest in the Hotel Pennsylvania site, subsequently Merrill Lynch became the primary potential user of the site. According to an October 25, 2007 article in The New York Times by Charles V. Bagli, Merrill Lynch was negotiating a "billion-dollar 65-year lease" that called for demolishing the hotel and erecting a tower with 80,000-square-foot trading floors in its base.

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4786

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
One of the benefits of this project moving forward is we will finally that the pedestrian passageway between Penn Station and Herald Square (connecting multiple subway lines and the PATH) reopened to the public. That's a major asset to the station, and it needs to be done ASAP.
I'll believe it when I see it. The Bank of America building was supposed to have a passageway connecting the Times Sq station with the Bryant Park station, and that never materialized.

I wouldn't be surprised if talk of a Penn Station/Herald Sq connection here is also a bait-and-switch.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:36 AM

While I like this building, it really does take away from the awesomeness of the Empire State Building.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 12:10 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The Empire State is losing it's dominance whether or not this particular tower gets built. It will be every bit as awesome, just not the tallest around anymore. A building that was built in 1931 (fast approaching a hundred years ago) shouldn't be the tallest of anything anywhere at this point in time, and particularly in a city like New York. I don't believe in stunted growth, and the City Council agreed when they approved this tower.

Quote:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-blocking.html

Empire State Building owner Andrew Malkin voiced concerns that the building, planned by Vornado Realty Trust, would alter the skyline by being so tall and close to the Empire State Building itself, even blocking it from certain angles. But City Council Speaker Christine Quinn explained, "Our skyline is always changing and growing. New York City is not a stagnant city."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. The Bank of America building was supposed to have a passageway connecting the Times Sq station with the Bryant Park station, and that never materialized.

I wouldn't be surprised if talk of a Penn Station/Herald Sq connection here is also a bait-and-switch.

It's not a bait and switch. The tower would have to be almost a half million square foot smaller if they don't build those transit improvments. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Those transit improvements, along with a transfer of air rights from down the street are what helped the tower grow to it's size.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:17 PM

Back in the 1960's, the Empire State Building's owners have put up a *massive* fight against the proposed World Trade Center's Twin Towers for the exact same reasons.

The ESB's owners' decades-old tradition of smear campaigns against anything taller are very ironic, considering that when it was built, the ESB itself shattered all records and absolutely dominated its neighborhood for decades to come. The ESB surpasses Chrysler? "So what? It's progress. Get used to it." Something that surpasses the ESB? "How dare these barbarians insult our great city's architectural heritage?! Is nothing sacred anymore?"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:45 PM

The Empire will partially loose its dominance when 30 HY and Manhattan West towers are build. 15 Penn Plaza will be just another tower at this point. It's about time that this part of the city start changing.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Not true. The connection was built.

The reason it hasn't opened yet is because the MTA is dragging its heels on its end. But Durst (the developer) funded and built the connection prior to the opening of One Bryant Park.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Not true. The connection was built.

The reason it hasn't opened yet is because the MTA is dragging its heels on its end. But Durst (the developer) funded and built the connection prior to the opening of One Bryant Park.
This is a very important detail! Developer is being accused with bait and switch but it's MTA!

Looking at Fulton Station, I have little faith in MTA capital project timeliness.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 9:36 PM
New Yorker for life

There was a time when the Woolworth Building, though with not quite the stature of the ESB, purely dominated the skyline. It no longer does, but it hasn't lost it's appeal.

Over the years, the skyline has evolved. This tower only continues the cycle of growth and change.

Are Oh Why

C&C52

TRANSIT IMPROVEMENT BONUS

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/04...15-penn-plaza/

Quote:
This plan, says the MTA, is estimated to cost approximately $150 million, and Vornado has shown a complete willingness to fund these upgrades. “The public benefit of funding from
a private partner willing to take on the significant planning and construction work to implement these improvements is even more critical in today’s environment of limited capital funding
than it was when these discussions began several years ago,” Paley said.

Of course, it looks good on paper, but it’s future is no sure thing. Vornado says it could have the building open in four and a half years, and the DEIS claims a completion date in 2014.
Cuozzo reports, however, that the company won’t start construction until it “pre-signs at least one large office tenant – which could take years.” The company remains committed
to gaining approval now.

In a sense, these improvements would create a hub similar to those at Times Square and Fulton St. for transit in an area exceedingly difficult to navigate. PATH access would be improved,
and the Penn Station area catacombs would begin to clear up. It is a prime example of transit-oriented development and a public-private partnership that sees much-needed transit upgrades
funded by a developer with money that plans to increase transit demand. It just makes sense.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:03 PM

I just love this building and I'm very happy to see that it isn't cancelled.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 12:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333609543 View Post
I just love this building and I'm very happy to see that it isn't cancelled.
Let's just hope Vornado can land a tenant before they decide to put it back on ice.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Permit renewals granted last month...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals