HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
For Philadelphia, it's definitely 2400 Chestnut:

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...artments/12454
The real skyline view is from south, like from the stadiums. One huge highrise halfway between Center City and the Sports Complex will be the real skyline killer. Thankfully, nothing like that has been built yet (unless you count the Holiday Inn or Philly Live), but I expect it's coming in the next decade or two.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:57 AM

If tall buildings right on the waterfront tend to be the common skyline killers, where do the Purdy's Wharf buildings in Halifax stand as killers? Is their skyline not big enough to ruin things?

(Purdy's Wharf is such a hillbilly name, too. "You sure do have a purdy mouth!")

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:07 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I actually like the original better than the bizarre, half-assed attempt that is this piece of crap:

Why bother?

Yikes. The tower in its original form was brutal and contextually inappropriate, but at least it maintained a sense of sculptural purity. Now it just looks like a messy hodgepodge - and is still just as foreboding at street level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpeaks View Post
this was sad to see overshadowing the beautiful Manhattan bridge. Maybe if there were other buildings or this was designed to compliment the bridge

There are other tall towers planned for the area so it won't look so out of place in a few years (assume some/all of them are built), but either way, as a general rule for good skyline aesthetics: the tallest towers should never placed directly at the waterfront. A build up away from the water is way more attractive, and affords better views both to and from the buildings.

It's the same problem that's happening in Toronto, where the waterfront is now home to some of the city's tallest (and least impressive) buildings.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:23 AM

One Seneca Square, the old Marine Midland Bank or HSBC highrise in Buffalo, is a skyline killer from some angles.

It's also a huge skyline scale-tipper, if that concept exists. I wonder if it's the most notable or most prominent skyline scale-tipper of them all?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
If tall buildings right on the waterfront tend to be the common skyline killers, where do the Purdy's Wharf buildings in Halifax stand as killers? Is their skyline not big enough to ruin things?

(Purdy's Wharf is such a hillbilly name, too. "You sure do have a purdy mouth!")
Purdy's Wharf basically is the centre piece of the skyline. It's the largest and one of the most distinctive elements. If a skyline killer is like an ugly pimple or wart on the skyline's face, Purdy's Wharf is like... the eyes.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:32 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

A number of uglies have graced Toronto's eastern skyline in recent years, with the intestinal Grid condos chief amongst them - which has also marred the postcard view from Riverdale Park: (on the right side here)

Toronto skyline from Riverdale Park East
by Timothy Neesam, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:35 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

As far as a building, most Clevelanders would nominate the Justice Center courts tower - the beige beast that's front and center. In addition to being just an ugly and unappealing tower, there are three mid-rise buildings (jails, police HQ) that occupy the rest of the block. There's currently debate about rehab versus demo but who knows if that will happen in my lifetime

When it was built, the Justice Center complex was also a neighborhood killer as many of the buildings in the adjacent Warehouse District were demolished in anticipation of the need for parking. Fortunately the largest lot is now the site of the new Sherwin Williams world headquarters complex.

Although they're underutilized, the Malls that compose the large grassy space enclosed by the iconic Group Plan building could also be considered skyline killers, though I would never want to see high-rises built there. You can also see the Justice Center complex in the lower left.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
A number of uglies have graced Toronto's eastern skyline in recent years, with the intestinal Grid condos chief amongst them - which has also marred the postcard view from Riverdale Park: (on the right side here)
Hey, I fancy Grid. To each his own, I guess.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
As far as a building, most Clevelanders would nominate the Justice Center courts tower - the beige beast that's front and center. In addition to being just an ugly and unappealing tower, there are three mid-rise buildings (jails, police HQ) that occupy the rest of the block. There's currently debate about rehab versus demo but who knows if that will happen in my lifetime

When it was built, the Justice Center complex was also a neighborhood killer as many of the buildings in the adjacent Warehouse District were demolished in anticipation of the need for parking. Fortunately the largest lot is now the site of the new Sherwin Williams world headquarters complex.(...)
Cleveland is one of my favourite skylines. As Downtown population is booming, I guess will have lots of infill.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:54 PM

I like when cities have a prominent Brutal beast like this in their skyline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:21 PM

thats how i feel about the SOM designed bellsouth/at&t building here. overshadowed by the BoA plaza next door but still one of the tallest in the city at 677'

here's my killer for atlanta. related group's icon midtown.

skyscraper center

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:37 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I like when cities have a prominent Brutal beast like this in their skyline!
Ouch.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:39 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
thats how i feel about the SOM designed bellsouth/at&t building here. overshadowed by the BoA plaza next door but still one of the tallest in the city at 677'

here's my killer for atlanta. related group's icon midtown.

First one isn't that bad actually. Second one is pretty awful.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
related group's icon midtown.

skyscraper center
it took some serious cajones to have the audacity to actually name that offensively bland vertical turd "Icon".

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
First one isn't that bad actually. Second one is pretty awful.
ditto

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 6:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

tour-montparnasse.fr

The building is bad, but the location is far far worse. criminal.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 6:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

flickr

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 7:44 PM

Houston’s beautiful Windsor Memorial Apartment tower.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 7:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeesh.... what a pig.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions