HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Happy new year, everyone.

What projects (not necessarily "skyscraper") do you think will break ground in 2019? Is the boom over?
Given it's already fully leased, I expect Transbay Parcel F will break ground: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=217919&page=8

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:31 PM

^^ I hope so.

I can't wait to see more projects go near to completion in 2019. Especially how Chase Center will affect San Francisco and the Giants games moving to 6:45 start times.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 1:25 AM
heavy user of walkability

the first phase of Rebuild Potrero has shed its shroud

the skyline from Potrero Hill

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:32 AM

333 Golden Gate

I was attracted to the site today by the construction crane a couple of blocks from City Hall. It will be a 5 story addition to the U. C. Hastings Law School. I took one picture with my smart phone & fled the block as there were drug dealers & crazy street people on the block!

333 Golden Gate Avenue_U C Hastings Law School

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
... a 5 story addition to the U. C. Hastings Law School. ...
aha, thanks, didn't realize it was underway!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
aha, thanks, didn't realize it was underway!
Been digging the foundation since last summer (I am a regular at the Subway up the block).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I took one picture with my smart phone & fled the block as there were drug dealers & crazy street people on the block!
Those drug dealers are always there (one side of the street or the other). There is a series of teller machines for BofA and Wells Fargo across the street which makes it convenient for their customers to get the cash they demand. The "crazy street people" constantly try to steal from the Subway--to the point they took out the bottled soda cooler. Now they come in asking for some water, then steal soda from the soda machine. I feel sorry for the Asian people who work there and have to deal with this. And given the Philz Coffee next door is a cop hangout--often there's a crowd of SFPD types and/or security guards from the state office buildings nearby out front on the corner--all this behavior is especially brazen. I've long wondered why the cops don't stop it but that's the SFPD: Ignore it as long as they can.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
San Francisco readies for convention boom as $550 million Moscone Center expansion opens
By Katie Burke – Food/Hospitality/Retail Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Jan 3, 2019, 9:53am PST Updated Jan 3, 2019, 6:11pm EST

Nearly two years after it closed for a $550 million renovation, San Francisco’s larger Moscone Center reemerges this week, aiming to take the city’s convention business into a new era.

Expanded by 350,000 square feet, Moscone’s north and south wings are now fully connected, creating up to 500,000 square feet of flexible and contiguous convention space and allowing San Francisco to host simultaneous conventions.

. . . Over the past four decades, a sea of parking lots and dilapidated warehouses has been transformed into one of the city’s densest and most vibrant neighborhoods.

“The building was built for the neighborhood at the time. It was much more of a fortress and was isolated from the rest of the neighborhood. As the neighborhood has grown, a lot due to the fact that Moscone was there, it has changed dramatically,” said Joe D’Alessandro, CEO of SF Travel. “The new building is a more urban structure that comes to the sidewalk, is more pedestrian friendly and dramatic, with a design and public art that will be noticed right away.”

The goal behind Moscone’s overhaul was never to attract bigger conventions. Rather, it was to make the space as efficient as possible and maximize Moscone’s economic benefits.

. . . Moscone North and South means different conventions can run simultaneously, creating a steadier stream of business instead of a giant wave that overwhelms local restaurants and hotels but then dissipates several days later.

With a land constrained location in a dense area, the center’s expansion was always going to be relatively modest. Prior to the expansion, the convention center was the 25th largest in the country. Now, it’s 17th . . . .

Thanks to new, repeat and expanding convention clients, this year is already slated to hit a record, with more rooms booked in San Francisco for attendees than ever before. More than 1.2 million rooms have been reserved in 2019, and more than 985,000 rooms are already booked for 2020. Both of those figures are expected to increase as Moscone lands last-minute bookings. One newcomer is the IBM Think conference in February, which will bring in 30,000 people and book more than 112,280 hotel room nights. In July 2020, the International AIDS Conference will host 25,000 attendees and book nearly 55,000 room nights.

. . . with very few additions to the city’s stock of hotels, there isn’t enough supply to absorb the rise in demand.

However, the Hotel Council and D’Alessandro are cheered by the three new hotels near Moscone expected to open within the first quarter. The Virgin Hotel, Yotel and the Hyatt Place will add a combined 627 rooms.

The city is also moving ahead with a convention hotel (and affordable housing) that would replace a public parking garage at 255 Third St. across from the Moscone Center.

Four development teams are vying to build that project
. . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...671#g/447998/4

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 10:36 AM

1 De Haro demo has now started

nearby, there seemed to be some signs of activity at the CCA student housing site

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 9:50 PM

Demolition started on 30 Otis. Also, drove by 1144-1150 Harrison Street and noticed that they had the doors open and looked like they were clearing out or starting Demolition? Didn't have time to go back and check.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpallord View Post
... drove by 1144-1150 Harrison Street and noticed that they had the doors open and looked like they were clearing out or starting Demolition? ...
aw, that reminds me, I will miss this

(I suppose it could already be gone; it was getting pretty faded last time I was by there)

and in case anyone else needed a reminder (I did):

Last edited by timbad; Jan 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM. Reason: added link and image

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:04 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

It's too bad they couldn't work in some space within the new structure for that art. Though the new building is not unhandsome.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
It's too bad they couldn't work in some space within the new structure for that art. Though the new building is not unhandsome.
I'd argue that cleaning up and activating that alley and the entire backside of the building is a pretty great compromise to saving a faded mural.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
I'd argue that cleaning up and activating that alley and the entire backside of the building is a pretty great compromise to saving a faded mural.
After a little more digging on Socketsite, it appears that this is actually the most current rendering / design:

Much nicer and contextual IMO. AND as a bonus, it looks like the mural might be preserved (or at least as rendered)?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
aw, that reminds me, I will miss this

I'm not a fan of most street art (aka graffiti vandalism) but that's really clever and interesting. Wish there were some way to preserve it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Yeah. The one that I really miss is Defenestration, the one where they had what looked to be actual furniture that appeared to be escaping up the side of the building. Of course, we did replace an unused building with a much larger building full of affordable housing, so that was probably for the best in the long run.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 7:02 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Yeah. The one that I really miss is Defenestration, the one where they had what looked to be actual furniture that appeared to be escaping up the side of the building. Of course, we did replace an unused building with a much larger building full of affordable housing, so that was probably for the best in the long run.
That building was decaying, a seismic hazard, and dangerous, especially since it had suffered a fire before the artwork was installed and water was penetrating it all over. Defenestration was left up longer than intended and was also looking shabby. As much as I loved it, it was past time for both to go.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
This is my personal favorite:

http://dallasartdealers.org/nychos-u...francisco-usa/

Unfortunately, I think it too will go with the Transbay District build-out.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
This is my personal favorite:

Unfortunately, I think it too will go with the Transbay District build-out.
Yeah, I walk home from work past that every day. I'm sure if it isn't in the way of a planned for building, there's zero chance that it won't be covered up.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:17 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm not a fan of most street art (aka graffiti vandalism) but that's really clever and interesting. Wish there were some way to preserve it.
Well at least in the rendering of the proposed building it is preserved as shown on their web page.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
After a little more digging on Socketsite, it appears that this is actually the most current rendering / design...
Much nicer and contextual IMO. AND as a bonus, it looks like the mural might be preserved (or at least as rendered)?
indeed, thanks for finding that update!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations