HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 5:43 PM

I walked by the gas station yesterday, it was in the process of demo, building already down and starting to dig up tanks.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:57 PM

Great wrap up of some smaller infill projects Timbad, many of which I forgot about!

I looked at permits for a few.

Looks like 950 Market has permits and is going forward. I am super surprised that this one is going forward while 1028 Market is on hold/being sold as entitled. Anybody know about 1066 Market [edit: bad news, looks like they have withdrawn their shoring and excavation permits]? Would love to see at least two out of the three get built. In many ways if most don't get built this cycle we're even worse off, as we're left with empty or demo'd commercial space in a location that is already struggling with having enough foot traffic to curb the drugs/mental illness issues, and the empty mall certainly doesn't help. I'd rather have active street fronts even with Metro PCS and liquor store tenants rather than empty boarded up buildings and demo'd buildings that will languish until the next cycle.

Also surprised Folsom is going forward. Really wish the three Folsom projects that are housing (655 Folsom, 667 Folsom, and 95 Hawthorne) would go forward, as those are far more valuable to helping our housing shortage and adding density. Have not heard anything from any of them [edit: 655 Folsom has at least applied for a construction permit that has been in process for TWO AND A HALF YEARS, and the other two have not even applied] and I so feel like they'll be next cycle or not at all.

Happily surprised the gas station next to Jasper is going forward. They seem to have at least some of the permits to start building, so hopefully we squeeze that one in this cycle as well.

All of the above (those getting built and those in limbo) are excellent infill projects that I wish all would go forward. But alas, at least we're getting some.

Last edited by JWS; Sep 12, 2018 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:45 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
... smaller infill projects ... I looked at permits for a few.

Looks like 950 Market has permits and is going forward. I am super surprised that this one is going forward while 1028 Market is on hold/being sold as entitled. Anybody know about 1066 Market [edit: bad news, looks like they have withdrawn their shoring and excavation permits]? Would love to see at least two out of the three get built. ...
man, and things seemed rosier just four months ago

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpallord View Post
I walked by the gas station yesterday, it was in the process of demo, building already down and starting to dig up tanks.
yaay, thanks for confirming!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
man, and things seemed rosier just four months ago
I think the recent surge in steel and concrete prices due to tariffs sidelined a LOT of projects. I have also heard anecdotally that financing was put on hold for a lot of rental projects until Prop 10 settles but can't confirm this is true beyond gossip, or which projects specifically were sidelined.

I know we all lust over the bigguns here but the midrise infill on this stretch of Market, as well as the projects on Market around Brady/12th/Franklin/Gough/Valencia, are going to do more to clean up and properly activate Market once complete. Right now those two stretches are dead and super vulnerable to dereliction...empty storefronts waiting for projects to begin construction, demo'd buildings, etc. Those would do so, so, so much to unite Market as a pleasurable walk from Castro to Embarcadero and connect everything. Similar to how 1270 Mission (now on hold although allegedly they are trying to VE it to pencil) would remove a notorious deadzone on Mission and connect SOMA Grand/Trinity Place to NEMA/Twitter/Goodwill developments. Right now we have these super vibrant islands surrounded by dead zones that encourage drug dealing and usage, and we need connectivity for Market and Mission to work as fully intended.

Alas this is SF, "the city that can"...we can't have nice things.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 10:22 PM

200 Van Ness at Hayes 09/14/2018

There is lost of equipment working on the foundation work this week. This is a high rise for the San Francisco Conservatory Music School.

200 Van Ness 09-14-2018

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
There is lost of equipment working on the foundation work this week. This is a high rise for the San Francisco Conservatory Music School.
Reminder: It has thread @ http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ight=FRANCISCO

I'll copy/paste this there.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpallord View Post
and, the photo evidence to boot:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 10:45 AM

SF Conservatory of Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Okay - I added to my bookmarks.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 8:06 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:

Thank you!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 11:01 PM

while the Central SOMA Plan meetings got pushed back a bit, the Central Subway platform at Fourth and Brannan is getting its canopy

hotel at Fourth and Folsom-ish

hotel at Third and Townsend

further afield, the project at 20th and Tennessee in Dogpatch has shed its dusty pink covering and I think is letting a bit of its real skin show

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:27 PM

A little Van Ness BRT project update (from North to South):

- They are in various stages of pouring the east side curb lanes (from grading to nearing completion) from Green to Jackson (this is the “north section” of the project).

- From Jackson to Sutter they have just begun preliminary infrastructure work on the east side and from Sutter to Post on the west side they are most of the way through replacing some infrastructure under the sidewalk.

- From Geary to Olive they have cut and covered one of the traffic lanes on the west side (Sutter to Olive is what I’m calling the “middle-north section”).

- From Olive to McAllister they have poured all of the west side curb lanes, but only about half of the corners. Turk to Golden Gate is the only block for which they have poured the sidewalk, but have not yet done the corners there. They are working on the sidewalk from Golden Gate to McAllister, but it looks like they are installing bioswales on this block so it’s a bit more involved (I’m calling this the “middle-south section”).

- From McAllister to Market they are in the process of trenching the west side curb lane. Market to Mission looks to just be staging for now (this is the “south section”).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Developers raise height of and add more homes to proposed Transbay tower
By Blanca Torres – Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Sep 17, 2018, 2:44pm PDT Updated an hour ago

Developers beefed up plans for a new highrise on one of the last undeveloped parcels in San Francisco’s Transbay District.

Hines and Urban Pacific Development are now proposing a 500-foot tower and adjacent 185-foot building with a total of 713 homes and 12,900 square feet of retail on a 1.1-acre site known as Block 4. The site encompasses an entire city block bounded by Beale, Howard, Main and Folsom streets that currently houses the temporary Transbay bus terminal. The developers have agreed on a tentative purchase price of $45 million for the site.

The developers previously proposed a 450-foot tower and 85-foot adjacent building with about 540 homes.

The increased height will allow the developers to set aside 49 percent or 347 homes for residents earning less than 120 percent of the area median income.

That level of affordable housing is the highest for the any of the sites sold for development by the city department known as the Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure or OCII . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...966&j=83877661

What am I missing here? What happened to the park that I thought was to replace part of the temporary terminal?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:21 AM

Quote:

What am I missing here? What happened to the park that I thought was to replace part of the temporary terminal?
The block is supposed to be broken up into a north and south separated by Clementina (Or maybe it's Tehama?). I recall the park being proposed for the northern part. That, or it ran between both Tehama and Clementina. Regardless, I don't see anything that axes or intentionally omits the park.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:04 AM

Infill between Grace & Washburn streets off of Howard St.

This small development caught my eye last week. Google Earth still has a street level view with the sign announcing a permit meeting - I could actually read most of the notice!

The brick tower on the right side of the photo with the words James Lick Bath is a historical building which was once a public bath house at a time when there were many people in the area that did not have baths. I was inside a few years ago & there is nothing of interest today architecturally.

Infill off of Howard St. between Grace & Washburn

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:

i happened to google "transbay block 4" to do a little research and came across this image. not sure if its legit or not, although the project page was recently updated a couple weeks ago. (see link below)

https://www.protenders.com/companies...ansbay-block-4

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:30 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Pretty sure that's just a "protend" proposal.

Sorry folks, someone had to do it...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:59 AM

That's a very unique looking building but the rendering looks like it's taller than Park Tower

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
The block is supposed to be broken up into a north and south separated by Clementina (Or maybe it's Tehama?). I recall the park being proposed for the northern part. That, or it ran between both Tehama and Clementina. Regardless, I don't see anything that axes or intentionally omits the park.
The article says the parcel for the proposed building is the “entire block”, Howard to Folsom. You are correct the park was supposed to be half that on the Foldom St. side. But I take “entire block” to mean “entire block”.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:10 AM

Some pictures of the city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations