HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 12:54 PM

I don't think anybody suggested a high speed rail line from Winnipeg to Brandon. What I suggested above was a conventional 100 mph rail line using DEMU/BEMUs using existing corridors and existing track where possible. This is exactly what you'd see in Europe in this context.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:55 PM
Still optimistic

High-speed services between major, recognizable cities is one thing. But in discussions about European transportation networks, people often don't talk about the often excellent, frequent, lower-speed service to and from small centres.

I lived in Nijmegen in the Netherlands, a small regional centre. Despite a lack of major cities in the area, there was still a train every 15 minutes down through Venlo (100k), Roermond (50k) and Maastricht (122k). It stopped every 10 or so kilometres over the 130 km trip at small towns along the route and covered the distance in about 2.5 hours. It was also operated by a private franchise (Arriva), but similar routes elsewhere were still operated by the national rail provider (NS).

It felt very much like Ottawa's Line 2: DMU trains without reservation or services, stations which were little more than a tidy platform and small shelter, and a frequency which hardly warranted looking at a schedule. The tracks had freight service and frequent level crossings - not HSR by any stretch. But it provided practical and dignified service both for the larger towns and the dozen+ small towns of a few hundred or thousand inhabitants. It was totally possible to stay there and access the services of the city, or live in the city and get out to the country without any hassle.

This is the kind of service which I think would be in the reach of many places in Canada. The Maastricht-Nijmegen route is only a bit shorter than Brandon-Winnipeg (130 km vs 200 km). Winnipeg-Brandon has significantly more population too (820k to 270k).

I don't actually think that we'll be seeing trains to Brandon on the quarter-hour next week. But it's just to illustrate that you don't need to be Tokyo and London to have some really excellent, usable intercity service.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:17 PM

^ It certainly works when your trains are part of a larger network where people are used to relying on reasonably fast and frequent trains. I find taking those types of regional trains a pleasure when in Europe. But if you eliminated all connections from the Maastricht-Nijmegen route and made it totally standalone, would it work nearly as well? I think not.

The problem here is Winnipeg-Brandon would be a standalone route with no connections to anything beyond normal city transit service at each end. It would not fare well. Everyone would say they like the idea but then they'd just go back to driving the route. Absolute best case scenario under those circumstances, IMO, is a heavily subsidized, money losing two train a day service that carries on the order of maybe 200 people a day each way on average. In other words, simply not worth the trouble.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:32 PM

It's easier in Europe because they use rail for passenger services and road for cargo. We're the other way around here. But I wish there wasn't such a hesitancy to support some regional rail services.

In my books, there's two corridors that support substantial frequency and even high speed services: Quebec-Windsor and Calgary-Edmonton. But there's several corridors where European local/regional style conventional rail, small MU set service can be supported.

1) Halifax-Moncton-Saint John
2) Winnipeg-Portage-Brandon
3) Calgary-Lethbridge-Medicine Hat
4) Regina-Moose Jaw-Saskatoon
5) Vancouver-Abbotsford-Kamloops

All of these routes could support a 2-3 car DMU/BEMU running every 1-2 hrs on single track, like you in a lot of Europe, especially Scandinavia. Building the above would probably cost upwards of $8.5B ($5M/km for 1700 km). But it would dramatically overhaul the way we travel to something a lot more European. I would argue the nation building value alone might justify this. I just wish governments would study these corridors with the amount of effort and depth as they have Calgary-Edmonton and Quebec-Windsor. Learn what the costs are. Where co-operation with freightcos is possible. Etc.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:44 PM

A study can't hurt. But for a route like Winnipeg-Brandon, which cannot sustain a single daily motorcoach, let's just say I have my doubts

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Poland wouldn't have high speed rail or anything close to it on a run like Winnipeg-Brandon. There would be a few conventional trains a day of reasonably high standard, but not much more than that.

For context, the only thing close to true high speed rail lines in Poland is the Warsaw-Krakow-Katowice route, which is roughly on par with Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa in Canada. There are no HSR lines radiating out from, say, Bialystok to Augustow.

For what it's worth, population densities and shorter densities make passenger rail transportation a more viable option throughout most of Europe. I'm not saying it can't happen in Western Canada, but it's going to be a lot harder to make it work outside of a couple key corridors like Calgary-Edmonton.
What Truenorth said. I agree with him about the speeds and frequency; two trains heading to Winnipeg in the morning and back in the evening would be a good starting point. If the trains stopped near route 90, Jubilee, and at Union station, you can't pretend people wouldn't take those for shopping, game days, and handling business in the city. That would be so much more useful than a coach that dumps you off at the airport (and doesn't even exist anymore).

Eventually you'd want to have hourly trains, which is what they would run on a line like this in Europe, but... baby steps. What this line would represent, as much as anything, would be the start in a generation-spanning project to building a regional rail system and ingrain rail use in the Manitoban culture. Manitobans are very quick to burn down anything the second it shows a hint of being less than an unqualified success, and, well, that's why Manitoba doesn't have much to show for itself.

As for Poland and high-speed rail, I'm not sure they even have a real high-speed rail line. I know you can get around at 200kph between major cities, but true 300kph HSR is actually pretty rare in Europe. Spain and France have it, but even in Germany there are only a few high-speed stretches between western cities. It's been 30 years and they still haven't been able to upgrade any eastern track to high speed standards. Only recently can you travel between Berlin and Hamburg at 200kph!

That's a big point Canadians need to understand: building rail takes time. Nobody but China jumps up and builds HSR from scratch. If Canada wants to one day have HSR, it's going to start with modest regional rail like this. If Canada started building today, in 30 years people in Brandon might not only be able to take an hourly train to Winnipeg, but one to Kenora, or Winkler, or Gimli. And after another 30 years of incremental improvements they'd realistically be able to make their trips in half the time. Then it would make sense to start building the moonshots between Brandon and Regina, or Kenora and Thunder Bay, or Rimouski and Moncton, or Kelowna and Banff.

One more thing about Poland that I think is instructive: Lodz.
If you went there on your travels, forgive me for boring you.

Lodz is probably the most rundown place I've ever seen. It's like the '90s version of the Exchange District writ over an entire city instead of just 20 blocks. It's the city's feature most strongly reminiscent of Winnipeg (besides the Polish people).

It's dead-centre in Poland. It used to be one of the most important textile centres in the world. That kept on until the end of communism, when it stopped having any textile industry at all. It suffered a precipitous population decline since. The cityscape--itself chewed up with falling-down tenements and empty lots--is studded with some massive, abandoned industrial hulks. Some have been repurposed; there's even one near the city centre that's been repurposed as a Forks-esque space.

Beyond that, the Winnipeg comparisons dry up, because despite the city losing hundreds of thousands of residents and its main industry, they've doubled down on it and made some massive infrastructure investments. The largest is a tunnelled connection between the two rail stations at the edges of the city, uniting them in the centre at a massive train station. They know they occupy a vital place in their country, and they're investing to capitalize on it.

Anyway, that's where I came up with the Poland test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
It's easier in Europe because they use rail for passenger services and road for cargo. We're the other way around here. But I wish there wasn't such a hesitancy to support some regional rail services.
They also move a lot of freight by water. The place is almost all coastline, but they've also spend, what, centuries? building canals, weirs, and locks all over the place. The result is that they can send barges pretty far inland, down secondary and even tertiary rivers, to river ports in a lot of inland cities. This obviously supports some honking urban and industrial areas like the Rhine-Ruhr, but also cities far inland like Berlin (and the significant industrial presence of Siemens there), and the enormous VW Wolfsburg plant (which also does rail shipping.)

I mention this because it's demonstrates how older forms of infrastructure don't lose their utility. Western Canada missed out on developing river shipping because railways usurped the role of rivers almost as soon as the west started developing. That's fine; it would be nice to have canals and navigable rivers, but the railways have served. However, I see a lot of people these days claiming that investing in rail is pointless because of next-gen technology like self-driving cars and hyperloop. Whether either of those deliver on their wild promises, they won't replace, but rather complement, existing infrastructure.

An aside, for those who like to lick the salt off Elon Musk's balls like pregnant does: the new Tesla gigafactory in Germany will take advantage of none of the legacy infrastructure available to it. Musk must assume his battery packs will drive themselves to market.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 3:07 PM

One easy way to improve rail travel in the parries relatively quickly and easily would be to reroute the Canadian between Winnipeg and Saskatoon. The current route does go through Portage la Prairie, but misses Brandon, Yorkton and Regina. As a result it tries to do everything, but does it poorly.

My idea is to have the Canadian be rerouted using existing tracks by switching from the CN to CP mainline in Portage la Prairie and follow it through Brandon to Regina. There it would switch to the LMR/CN Craik Subdivision to Saskatoon.

This would only be a slightly longer route (from 670 km to about 750 km between Portage la Prairie and Saskatoon, an increase of about 80 km). I realize it wouldn't be free as stations would need to be acquired, a ramp to connect the CP and CN mainlines where they cross would need to be built, and the tracks for the new route would need to be approved for passenger use, but I wouldn't expect those to be all that expensive and it would be a one time cost. The operating costs may also be a bit higher, but I don't expect them to be significantly so.

Below is a picture of a map of the region showing the route. The blue line is the existing route and the red and green lines are the new route. I have also marked the cities/towns with populations greater than 10,000.

Click to enlarge

Last edited by roger1818; Oct 2, 2020 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
One easy way to improve rail travel in the parries relatively quickly and easily would be to reroute the Canadian between Winnipeg and Saskatoon. The current route does go through Portage la Prairie, but misses Brandon, Yorkton and Regina. As a result it tries to do everything, but does it poorly.

My idea is to have the Canadian be rerouted using existing tracks by switching from the CN to CP mainline in Portage la Prairie and follow it through Brandon to Regina. There it would switch to the LMR/CN Craik Subdivision to Saskatoon.

This would only be a slightly longer route (from 670 km to about 750 km between Portage la Prairie and Saskatoon, an increase of about 80 km). I realize it wouldn't be free as stations would need to be acquired, a ramp to connect the CP and CN mainlines where they cross would need to be built, and the tracks for the new route would need to be approved for passenger use, but I wouldn't expect those to be all that expensive and it would be a one time cost. The operating costs may also be a bit higher, but I don't expect them to be significantly so.

Below is a picture of a map of the region showing the route. The blue line is the existing route and the red and green lines are the new route. I have also marked the cities/towns with populations greater than 10,000.

Click to enlarge
What is the problem you are trying to fix (by rerouting an only twice-weekly and often heavily delayed train) and why would it justify any level of investment (or incremental subsidies) by federal taxpayers?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
What is the problem you are trying to fix (by rerouting an only twice-weekly and often heavily delayed train) and why would it justify any level of investment (or incremental subsidies) by federal taxpayers?
I agree it would be more psychological than anything. You would be surprised how many people are happy that they have train service or upset that they don't even though they don't ever use it. The amount of investment would be minimal and would go a long way towards spreading goodwill. It could also be marketed as a benefit to tourists using the Canadian, since Regina is the Provincial Capital.

I thought the twice a week was a temporary thing and the plan was to bring it back to 3 days a week eventually. Regardless, at some point we will need to figure out a way to fix the delays on the Canadian. That will take significant political will though.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I thought the twice a week was a temporary thing and the plan was to bring it back to 3 days a week eventually. Regardless, at some point we will need to figure out a way to fix the delays on the Canadian. That will take significant political will though.
The train hasn't been late since March!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The train hasn't been late since March!
Of course it hasn't. The frequency has been reduced and the volume of freight trains has been reduced. As soon as the volume of freight ramps up again the train will be late.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
It might need some capital investment, but why would it need additional operating subsidies? Both Brandon and Regina would add add additional passengers even if only 2 or 3 days a week especially if the train ran on time.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:14 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
What Truenorth said. I agree with him about the speeds and frequency; two trains heading to Winnipeg in the morning and back in the evening would be a good starting point. If the trains stopped near route 90, Jubilee, and at Union station, you can't pretend people wouldn't take those for shopping, game days, and handling business in the city. That would be so much more useful than a coach that dumps you off at the airport (and doesn't even exist anymore).

Eventually you'd want to have hourly trains, which is what they would run on a line like this in Europe, but... baby steps. What this line would represent, as much as anything, would be the start in a generation-spanning project to building a regional rail system and ingrain rail use in the Manitoban culture. Manitobans are very quick to burn down anything the second it shows a hint of being less than an unqualified success, and, well, that's why Manitoba doesn't have much to show for itself.
I agree. Really can’t just back off from something if it doesn’t show success at the first glance. I personally think this kind of weak mindset has significantly diminished since the completion of those flagship projects.

Recently, Brandon has been benefited from decent population growth due to immigration, and the town is becoming attractive. A rail line between Winnipeg and Brandon will be a preparation for the future growth. I think people are definitely going to like it when a rail line is there. The BLUE BRT line in Winnipeg is already fairly successful imo. Even during COVID time, the articulated buses running on the line are a bit crowded. TODs along the line are proposed. Winnipeg Transit is also considering LRT on Portage Avenue in the future...Brandon residents certainly won’t mind a rail line which conveniently carry them to the provincial capital without the need to drive, especially in the winter.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
It might need some capital investment, but why would it need additional operating subsidies? Both Brandon and Regina would add add additional passengers even if only 2 or 3 days a week especially if the train ran on time.
First of all, any rail line which hasn't seen passenger rail service for almost 40 years* will require substantial capital expenditure to upgrade the infrastructure to a state which may allow the safe operation of passenger trains at travel speeds which allow travel times which are remotely competitive to driving and there is no reason to believe that CN will invest into a line which is of only tertiary importance within its network, just because VIA decides it wants to move its passenger trains onto that line. Even worse, the Southern half of the Saskatoon-Regina line (i.e. south of Davidson) appears to be owned by a Short Line (Last Mountain Railway), which usually indicates even worse track conditions and less eagerness (or rather: financial capability) of the host railroad to invest into these tracks...

*The last passenger train operated between Regina and Saskatoon in 1984, when the Winnipeg-Regina-Saskatoon day train was replaced by the “Panorama”, an overnight service which operated daily between Winnipeg and Edmonton on the route of today's Canadian (i.e. via Melville rather than Regina) and was extended three times per week via Jasper and Prince George to Prince Rupert (refer to the October 1983 and June 1984 schedules in my VIA timetable archive).

Concerning your actual question, track access charges and maintenance costs are directly dependent on train mileage, whereas a longer route usually also results in a longer travel time, which increases labour costs, especially if longer shift times increase the risk that Locomotive Engineers run out of hours and need to get relieved.

To estimate the impact on costs, let's just assume that all operating costs are proportional to distance. Thanks to VIA Rail's Summary of the 2019-2023 Corporate Plan, we know that the Canadian's direct costs were $66.7 million in 2018. By multiplying that figure with 78 km (i.e. the difference between the mileage Winnipeg-Regina-Saskatoon and Winnipeg-Melville-Saskatoon: 837-759=78) and dividing it by 4466 km (i.e. the total distance on the route of today's Canadian), we can estimate that the incremental costs of rerouting the Canadian between Winnipeg and Saskatoon via Regina (rather than Melville) would be $1.2 million.

To estimate the impact on ridership, let's take the annual ridership of Saskatoon (4,289 passengers boarding or deboarding in a city of 295,095 according to the 2016 Census) and adjust it proportionally to reflect the size of Regina and Brandon (i.e. the only two CAs or CMAs which would gain service by this re-route):

Regina
Population: 236,481 (i.e. 80.1% of Saskatoon)
Estimated ridership potential: 3,437 (i.e. 80.1% of Saskatoon's passenger count in 2018)

Brandon
Population: 58,003 (i.e. 19.7% of Saskatoon)
Estimated ridership potential: 843 (i.e. 19.7% of Saskatoon's passenger count in 2018)

This suggests that re-routing the Canadian through Regina and Brandon might gain 4,280 passengers, which means that every single of these 4,280 passengers would need to pay $272 to offset the incremental costs of the re-route. However, the re-routing would deprive Rivers, Melville and Watrous of their passenger rail service, which accounted for 722, 1438 and 354 passengers, respectively. If we deduct these 2,514 passengers, we only have a net increase of 1,766 passengers and the break-even ticket price would now rise to $660. Given that even a full-fare "Economy Plus" ticket between Saskatoon and Winnipeg (i.e. a longer distance than Regina-Winnipeg or Brandon-Winnipeg) costs only $188 while the cheapest fare is $106 (I checked for May 2021), I find it highly unlikely that such a high average fare could be achieved in such small cities which are mostly irrelevant to the kind of passengers which ride the Canadian in Sleeper Class.

It’s this kind of back-of-the-envelop analysis which makes me doubt that re-routing the Canadian onto a longer route (and with partly using branch lines) would be possible without increasing its need for operational subsidies...

Last edited by Urban_Sky; Oct 4, 2020 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Of course it hasn't. The frequency has been reduced and the volume of freight trains has been reduced. As soon as the volume of freight ramps up again the train will be late.
It hasn't been late because it hasn't been running since March. The cancellation has been extended to November, and there's a good chance it will probably stretch beyond that. I would be genuinely curious to know whether anyone in Manitoba or Saskatchewan has been truly inconvenienced by this... probably no more than a tiny handful of people, like literally in the single digits, would be my guess.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
To further improve the on time performance to 100%, I propose we reduce the frequency to zero trains per year.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
To further improve the on time performance to 100%, I propose we reduce the frequency to zero trains per year.
You're probably going to get your wish. At least for this route.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
First of all, any rail line which hasn't seen passenger rail service for almost 40 years* will require substantial capital expenditure to upgrade the infrastructure to a state which may allow the safe operation of passenger trains at travel speeds which allow travel times which are remotely competitive to driving and there is no reason to believe that CN will invest into a line which is of only tertiary importance within its network, just because VIA decides it wants to move its passenger trains onto that line. Even worse, the Southern half of the Saskatoon-Regina line (i.e. south of Davidson) appears to be owned by a Short Line (Last Mountain Railway), which usually indicates even worse track conditions and less eagerness (or rather: financial capability) of the host railroad to invest into these tracks...

*The last passenger train operated between Regina and Saskatoon in 1984, when the Winnipeg-Regina-Saskatoon day train was replaced by the “Panorama”, an overnight service which operated daily between Winnipeg and Edmonton on the route of today's Canadian (i.e. via Melville rather than Regina) and was extended three times per week via Jasper and Prince George to Prince Rupert (refer to the October 1983 and June 1984 schedules in my VIA timetable archive).

Concerning your actual question, track access charges and maintenance costs are directly dependent on train mileage, whereas a longer route usually also results in a longer travel time, which increases labour costs, especially if longer shift times increase the risk that Locomotive Engineers run out of hours and need to get relieved.

To estimate the impact on costs, let's just assume that all operating costs are proportional to distance. Thanks to VIA Rail's Summary of the 2019-2023 Corporate Plan, we know that the Canadian's direct costs were $66.7 million in 2018. By multiplying that figure with 78 km (i.e. the difference between the mileage Winnipeg-Regina-Saskatoon and Winnipeg-Melville-Saskatoon: 837-759=78) and dividing it by 4466 km (i.e. the total distance on the route of today's Canadian), we can estimate that the incremental costs of rerouting the Canadian between Winnipeg and Saskatoon via Regina (rather than Melville) would be $1.2 million.

To estimate the impact on ridership, let's take the annual ridership of Saskatoon (4,289 passengers boarding or deboarding in a city of 295,095 according to the 2016 Census) and adjust it proportionally to reflect the size of Regina and Brandon (i.e. the only two CAs or CMAs which would gain service by this re-route):

Regina
Population: 236,481 (i.e. 80.1% of Saskatoon)
Estimated ridership potential: 3,437 (i.e. 80.1% of Saskatoon's passenger count in 2018)

Brandon
Population: 58,003 (i.e. 19.7% of Saskatoon)
Estimated ridership potential: 843 (i.e. 19.7% of Saskatoon's passenger count in 2018)

This suggests that re-routing the Canadian through Regina and Brandon might gain 4,280 passengers, which means that every single of these 4,280 passengers would need to pay $272 to offset the incremental costs of the re-route. However, the re-routing would deprive Rivers, Melville and Watrous of their passenger rail service, which accounted for 722, 1438 and 354 passengers, respectively. If we deduct these 2,514 passengers, we only have a net increase of 1,766 passengers and the break-even ticket price would now rise to $660. Given that even a full-fare "Economy Plus" ticket between Saskatoon and Winnipeg (i.e. a longer distance than Regina-Winnipeg or Brandon-Winnipeg) costs only $188 while the cheapest fare is $106 (I checked for May 2021), I find it highly unlikely that such a high average fare could be achieved in such small cities which are mostly irrelevant to the kind of passengers which ride the Canadian in Sleeper Class.

It’s this kind of back-of-the-envelop analysis which makes me doubt that re-routing the Canadian onto a longer route (and with partly using branch lines) would be possible without increasing its need for operational subsidies...

Hooray for rational analysis!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:21 PM
Starring as himself

I have always suspected that it would be cheaper for the government to pay for on-demand limousine service for everyone who would actually use these imaginary trains than it would be to build them and run them.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I have always suspected that it would be cheaper for the government to pay for on-demand limousine service for everyone who would actually use these imaginary trains than it would be to build them and run them.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that turned out to be true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada