HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 4:55 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
As per typical almost everybody was in favour of development, just not density of this amount.
It's the "I have black friends" of municipal politics.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:00 AM

I went, and Dmajackson too. There were probably well over 50 people in attendance. Pretty balanced number of supporters and detractors. Those against the proposal complained about the stuff you'd expect: height, traffic, and some asked about wind and shadow studies. Most people were pretty reasonable though (wasn't nearly as much emotion as I've seen at meetings for say, Spirit Place or the old TexPark proposal). One woman did throw the word "crackhouse" out there while inquiring about the target market for the rental units. Overall, height seemed to be the biggest issue.

In response to some concerns about an increase in local traffic I briefly (and probably rather incoherently - nervous) tried to point out that the city is inevitably going to grow and I'd rather see people live within walking distance of downtown, rather than out in the suburbs where many would be driving down Young, Robie, and Gottingen daily.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 6:10 AM
BANNED

Thank you alps and Dmajackson!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 7:06 AM

Well done you guys. Good to get news back and I was hoping to hear from this Quigley person, but oh well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's the "I have black friends" of municipal politics.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
One woman did throw the word "crackhouse" out there while inquiring about the target market for the rental units.
...Quigley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
In response to some concerns about an increase in local traffic I briefly (and probably rather incoherently - nervous) tried to point out that the city is inevitably going to grow and I'd rather see people live within walking distance of downtown, rather than out in the suburbs where many would be driving down Young, Robie, and Gottingen daily.
Good on you for telling them what they need to hear.
You likely spoke more appropriately than I would have. I would have likely started threatening all the NIMBYs with downtown karma.

If they shave any height off this proposal, they're asking for it...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 11:58 PM

I also attended this meeting, and I was surprised at the good turnout. There was the usual amount of people who don't want to share the good neighbourhood they enjoy with anyone else. This troubles me a bit, I wish more people would understand that we can't keep building ever-expanding suburbs. I think this will go through however, there was an equal amount of people in support of the proposal as well.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:27 AM
we built this city

Uhhh, the houses in that area look like crackhouses... I'm assuming these units will be almost expensive as nearby houses.

Idiots.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:28 AM

Someone seriously thought high end condos would turn into crackhouses? What kind of stupid person said that?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Someone seriously thought high end condos would turn into crackhouses? What kind of stupid person said that?
They're not high-end condos, they're rentals... 1 bedrooms in the $1,200 range I think I remember hearing. I also think the muttered term was Frathouse and not Crackhouse... as it came on the heels of the developer saying he wanted to attract the 18-24 y/o market.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
If they shave any height off this proposal, they're asking for it...
I would suspect that if any height gets shaved off, then the developer was bluffing at 19. Perhaps it's pessimistic, but I feel like developers feel they have to go in proposing something higher than they intend, so that they have a height to "concede" to.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 1:15 PM

There is some site work going on at the Bilby and Robie site. A couple excavators on site and a hole has started being dug... This is one of the 4 developments outlined in the article, don't know any info about this one though.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 2:30 AM

Any news on this?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:46 PM
we built this city

Bump. This development was mentioned in another thread. What's going on with this?

I hope the opposition loses and this gets built to spec.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:35 PM

I live in the area and I will be voicing my support.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 12:06 AM

I would assume that the process has reached the point where they are making sure that proper servicing is available, traffic/site access is okay and then preparing the development agreement (since this isn't as of right).

As I recall, there was sufficient capacity in the area but part of the process is to review their submission including the studies they provide (I think part of it is a video of the condition of the sanitary/storm sewer - epic video for anyone who has ever watched it).

My hope is that it's mainly in the 'spit and polish' phase, where most of the major issues are resolved and it's now just a matter of drafting the agreement. That isn't an easy process. While I never wrote one when I worked with HRM, having written bylaw text here in Calgary I can tell you that it goes through several reviews before it makes it to council and the lawyers are typically quite detailed (because they are looking out for HRM's interests and rightly so).

I suspect we will see something in the near future, likely January or February. Also keep in mind that the new community council's are just getting setup and started in light of the re-organization of council. So I suspect we will see something in January/February.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This area of town's not under HbD. A delay like this (or much longer) used to be totally normal downtown as well.

I do hope that they continue to work on the design and release some better renderings. Hopefully whatever is built will have a bit of colour.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:41 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Damn it! If I had known about that meeting I totally would have gone. I always know a month ahead any time something is happening in Toronto, but I only find out about stuff here a year after it's over.

The next time anything happens somebody PM me so I don't miss it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:48 PM

Staff is recommending approval of this project!

First reading will be held on Monday (July 22nd, 2013). A public hearing will follow and the development agreement usually gets approved a couple of months later so final approval will likely be in December!

Case 17456 – LUB Amendment and Development Agreement – 3065
Robie Street, Halifax

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 9:56 PM

Wow the planners have been busy producing reports - that's great! Lots of activity coming up in September then!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth