HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 3:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That'll be a nice view when this building is done and the Tramway Building is fixed up. Streets with narrow lot frontage get interesting as the buildings get up above 5 floors or so. If the buildings by George Street hadn't been torn down they would look like this too. The proportions of the building at Barrington and George were identical to the Canada Permanent Building, the black building in the photo above.

I'd still like the design of this building more if they got rid of the silly faux mansard roof portion though.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 7:53 PM
armchairitect

after looking at this shot, i feel like someone should have built a Dragon in this lot.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 8:32 PM

Cool photo!

Now will the new building butt up against its neighbors like the old one did? Do they still do that?

I'm always amazed when I see the blank wall of an old building that used to be built like this, with the imprint of its former neighbor on the now-exposed wall. In some cases you can even see the actual wall from the old neighborbouring building that is now part of the wall of the newer one...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 3:38 AM

According to AllNovaScotia occupancy is slated for spring or summer 2014. If this is true it will blow Barrington Espace's pace below the five moe's.

Source : "Patterson & Reznick Start Office Complex" (November 5th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 7:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
According to AllNovaScotia occupancy is slated for spring or summer 2014. If this is true it will blow Barrington Espace's pace below the five moe's.

Source : "Patterson & Reznick Start Office Complex" (November 5th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com
A lot of people have suggested that all Starfish projects will be slow but I'm not sure that's true. The speed of the project probably depends on a lot of factors, like what sort of work needs to be done and whether or not there are tenants waiting to move in to the new buildings.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 7:51 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
A lot of people have suggested that all Starfish projects will be slow but I'm not sure that's true. The speed of the project probably depends on a lot of factors, like what sort of work needs to be done and whether or not there are tenants waiting to move in to the new buildings.
This being a completely new build, I expect it should remain on a pretty quick timeline. Starfish does take a loooong time when working on preservation projects (such as Esapce) but their work is generally very high quality so I don't mind the wait.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 5:04 PM

I could see this being done by the summer. It will probably be a steel framed building which would go up very quickly. It's just a matter of getting the interior finishes done. Although access to the site is very difficult being on such a narrow part of Barrington.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 10:14 AM

Making Progress:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:21 PM
armchairitect

Progress - from earlier today.

This Job site definitely likes their CAT trucks

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:11 PM
armchairitect

Poured a footing on bedrock yesterday

Foundation form work today

I see why the plans call for only a small basement in the front. Look at all the rock down there.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:37 PM
armchairitect

start of a wall

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
start of a wall
I like what they're doing with the exposed concrete. Very urbane.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 2:24 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
The people next door won't have an air conditioner next year!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Which exposed concrete? Aren't they bricking up against the neighboring building?

Just curious, are they tying this wall into their neighbor or will it be a stand alone structure?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Which exposed concrete? Aren't they bricking up against the neighboring building?

Just curious, are they tying this wall into their neighbor or will it be a stand alone structure?
I was joking, dude.

Anyways, I think it is being tied into the wall.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 1:56 PM
armchairitect

update from yesterday - foundation looks complete

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:41 AM

Any news on the Tramway refinishing? It still looks atrocious.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Any news on the Tramway refinishing? It still looks atrocious.
Last I heard (courtesy of Waye Mason) was that a new owner purchased it last year, and planned to renovate the interior before fixing the exterior--meaning it could be a few years before it's restored. I guess there's no actual solid plan in place. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

It's pretty lame the city can just let something like that happen. I don't even think staff they were aware when it happened (to be fair, it was a safety issue since the facade was crumbling). But I'd be FINE with the city assisting the property owner to fix the damn thing. It looks like a giant cinderblock as it is, and it was one of the most unique things in the city.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Last I heard (courtesy of Waye Mason) was that a new owner purchased it last year, and planned to renovate the interior before fixing the exterior--meaning it could be a few years before it's restored. I guess there's no actual solid plan in place. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

It's pretty lame the city can just let something like that happen. I don't even think staff they were aware when it happened (to be fair, it was a safety issue since the facade was crumbling). But I'd be FINE with the city assisting the property owner to fix the damn thing. It looks like a giant cinderblock as it is, and it was one of the most unique things in the city.
I agree. Wouldn't the heritage fund for the Barrington heritage district cover such restorations?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I agree. Wouldn't the heritage fund for the Barrington heritage district cover such restorations?
If you're talking about the incentives (tax breaks etc.) tied only to Barrington St., in place through HRMbyDesign, but developed through the process that was used to create the heritage conservation district, I think that program is over now... my impression is that staff is recommending it not be renewed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth