HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Coming along, slow but steady... The signage makes me believe that perhaps it's at least partially occupied already?
I believe the sign is directing people up the alley to a place located on Argyle St. Useful, since Argyle is now largely inaccessible unless you are on foot.

Quote:
It really has been an interesting journey to watch and really unusual that it wasn't just bulldozed all those years ago. Many historic buildings disappeared during the time that this facade stood empty...
Of course, that is what should have been done decades ago when it was just a burned-out facade. One day with a D8 bulldozer on the job could have resulted in a new building on the site 25 years ago and not the eyesore that this place has been for so long.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 12:43 PM
Steven Courchene

cameo suites

the sign is for cameo suites

https://cameosuites.ca/

https://cameosuites.ca/

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I believe the sign is directing people up the alley to a place located on Argyle St. Useful, since Argyle is now largely inaccessible unless you are on foot.
Ahh, thanks. I suppose the sign has been there all along and I'm just noticing it now... typical.

Quote:
Of course, that is what should have been done decades ago when it was just a burned-out facade. One day with a D8 bulldozer on the job could have resulted in a new building on the site 25 years ago and not the eyesore that this place has been for so long.
That's what makes it interesting. The unlikeliness that it was allowed to survive in that form. I would actually like to know the story of how/why demolition of the facade was prevented, and now we have this interesting piece instead of some horrible box that would have been built in the 1980s or 1990s (like the abomination on the old St Paul's Parish Hall site on Argyle).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Ahh, thanks. I suppose the sign has been there all along and I'm just noticing it now... typical.

That's what makes it interesting. The unlikeliness that it was allowed to survive in that form. I would actually like to know the story of how/why demolition of the facade was prevented, and now we have this interesting piece instead of some horrible box that would have been built in the 1980s or 1990s (like the abomination on the old St Paul's Parish Hall site on Argyle).
It would have looked like the Neptune Theatre or any other Tim Hortons location!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencourchene View Post
Thanks! So it is actually in the old NFB building. Just found a post on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BOOMbuilds/

Quote:
BOOM Builds
September 16 at 9:23 PM ·
Did you know in addition to design and build construction and general contracting, we also offer commercial and residential space design consultations including furniture sourcing and setup? We also offer this service stand-alone from construction. Here is a sneak peek of a brand new boutique hotel in downtown Halifax we have been working on design and furnish while the client’s landlord is finishing all of the building construction. These apartment style bachelor, 1,2 and 3 bedroom units will be offered.
Located in the NFB (National film building) the “Cameo Suites” will be opening next month. More on this project and our design and setup services soon!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 5:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think it's turning out to be interesting and those pictures of the inside of the hotel suite make it look pretty nice. It is in a great spot and while I don't think I'd want to own a condo there, it's common in hotels not to get a balcony or large windows that open.

The facade is in rough shape but it can be improved further at any time and there might be public money for this through the heritage incentive programs.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
After the fire that destroyed everything but the facade in the early '90s, Halifax Council of the day reacted in knee-jerk fashion to impassioned pleas by the Heritage Trust and other like-minded people to save the facade from demolition. I do not recall if there were pie in the sky promises of redevelopment making use of it. What occurred of course were the window openings facing Barrington being boarded up with artistic images of Charlie Chaplin that did not change for over 20 years as the lot was left derelict. The result was that it remained a decaying albatross around the neck of the street in that section for decades. The "horrible box" you refer to would have brought some degree of vitality and activity to this section of the street which has suffered from being a dead zone thanks to this and the equally decrepit Khyber for far too long.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 4:09 AM

Quote:
After the fire that destroyed everything but the facade in the early '90s, Halifax Council of the day reacted in knee-jerk fashion to impassioned pleas by the Heritage Trust and other like-minded people to save the facade from demolition. I do not recall if there were pie in the sky promises of redevelopment making use of it. What occurred of course were the window openings facing Barrington being boarded up with artistic images of Charlie Chaplin that did not change for over 20 years as the lot was left derelict. The result was that it remained a decaying albatross around the neck of the street in that section for decades. The "horrible box" you refer to would have brought some degree of vitality and activity to this section of the street which has suffered from being a dead zone thanks to this and the equally decrepit Khyber for far too long.
I didn't recall that it was city owned. IIRC, though, that area was in decline then, so I'm not sure how much of a loss it was, not having developed it for all those years. Maybe it could have been a surface parking lot? What really seems odd is how it just stood in suspended animation for something like 30 or 40 years.

Perhaps we would have been better off with a new building there, but it's not what happened. We have what we have, which seems to be at better result than that Argyle building I referred to. I would actually consider that one to be a dead zone, as it offers little to the public, unless you want to pause to read the cornerstone of the building that used to be there. Is there still a bank machine there?

Doesn't matter, though. It is what it is. All fabric of what makes up a city, all open for discussion, no matter how meaningless...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I didn't recall that it was city owned.
I don't believe it was. The city put some planning and development designations on it of a heritage nature on it IIRC to prevent anything from happening to it. And so for decades, nothing did. In truth, the center of that entire block on the west side of Barrington encompassing the adjacent former furniture store on the south end up to and including the Khyber on the north end needed to be developed as a whole, historic facades or otherwise. That entire stretch has been a black hole on Barrington for 3 decades and has been a major contributor to the decline of downtown, along with many other reasons, most of which can be placed at the feet of our esteemed HRM Council acting as obstacles.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth