HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:47 AM

Also they need to build skyscrapers in those empty lots in west downtown or at least buildings to fill up the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 5:52 AM

My bad I mean north around Roosevelt Row or even further north than that. I feel the City will need to build further west if we want higher skyscrapers but there isn't a demand yet for towers that big going west. I don't know why the city hasn't built further west towards the capital already. It's a little weird driving to the capital when the down town core is like several blocks east.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 2:36 PM

I have a feeling in the future ‘maybe’ There might be a few taller buildings in the west but i think for sure there are gonna be tall buildings up north.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:19 PM

The height restrictions west of central allow the taller towers. I think to go north it probably north of McDowell before you could have taller towers.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:01 PM

Honestly i kind of gave up on rastegar.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:08 PM
Skyriser

Nobody wants height around the capitol mall area. It would be incredibly bad planning when there's height supported by LRT north on Central and some semblance of demand.

The airport also impacts height south. I could see a pie-in-the-sky proposal 250' river front tower in a couple cycles from now where nobody would complain about it but that area is sketchy and rough and all the decently-sized lots are old trash dumps that would need significant remediation. A luxury anything product in South Phoenix just doesn't seem feasible in my mind basically ever.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonadude10 View Post
Honestly i kind of gave up on rastegar.
Rastegar just recently purchased the parcel. I don't think they ever gave a timeline, just their intentions.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Rastegar just recently purchased the parcel. I don't think they ever gave a timeline, just their intentions.
They are most likely going to sit on the land, maybe produce build-ready plans and sell to a more established development company in this market.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 8:57 PM
Skyriser

I get the sense that Rastegar is pretty big and wants a chunk of the Phoenix market after saturating Austin. Gotta get those sweet tax breaks before the area gentrifies.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Nobody wants height around the capitol mall area. It would be incredibly bad planning when there's height supported by LRT north on Central and some semblance of demand.

The airport also impacts height south. I could see a pie-in-the-sky proposal 250' river front tower in a couple cycles from now where nobody would complain about it but that area is sketchy and rough and all the decently-sized lots are old trash dumps that would need significant remediation. A luxury anything product in South Phoenix just doesn't seem feasible in my mind basically ever.
Why would it by bad planning? there is going to be a LR line down that way, It has nice open lots, employment nearby etc.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:

I could see this happening if the "Rio Reimagined" project ever comes to fruition and the Rio Salado starts flowing West again. Tempe Town Lake was once a shit hole and was basically a huge dumpster

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:38 PM
Skyriser

I wish Phoenix and Tempe would pay for a pipe to prevent that stagnant water at the east end of Tempe from the Mesa water treatment plant, etc, and dump it at 24th St to not impact airport operations. Having a full-time source of water would be a gamechanger for Rio Salado.

And yeah, it's kind of lame that project is, again, not going anywhere. Even fiscal conservatives could imagine the value in remediating the enormous industrial scar that is the Salt River for what it would do for property values nearby.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I wish Phoenix and Tempe would pay for a pipe to prevent that stagnant water at the east end of Tempe from the Mesa water treatment plant, etc, and dump it at 24th St to not impact airport operations. Having a full-time source of water would be a gamechanger for Rio Salado.

And yeah, it's kind of lame that project is, again, not going anywhere. Even fiscal conservatives could imagine the value in remediating the enormous industrial scar that is the Salt River for what it would do for property values nearby.
Who said it's not going anywhere? This is McCain's legacy project and I see it happening. It's currently in Year 2 but it's still years away. It was also recently designated as the 20th Urban Waters Federal Partnership (UWFP) location and hopefully will receive some federal funding

https://rioreimagined.org/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:55 AM
Skyriser

^ I haven't heard of any specific, significant investment to rehab the corridor nor plans to do so. I mean, it's great to here that they're part of the Urban Waters program but properly rehabbing the Salt is going to be a monumental undertaking, especially with all the sand and gravel operations, landfills, invasive species, etc. Another flood that washes out a landfill like what happened 30 years ago would be an absolute disaster for example and preventing that should be in scope of this project.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:56 AM

Quote:

I recall reading that a lot of these lots along the river recently traded hands into land bankers and developers. All betting on the restoration of the Salt River in the future.

If the river actually did flow from Tempe to this part of downtown - could make for some interesting alternative transit opportunities...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...20to%20Buckeye.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
If the river actually did flow from Tempe to this part of downtown - could make for some interesting alternative transit opportunities...
How cool would it be to have a ferry service running from tempe to downtown phoenix and beyond? The possibilities are endless.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:42 PM

Any news on any new skyscrapers or news on astra or something...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:48 PM
Skyriser

^ Welcome to summer. If there were news, we'd be talking about it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:07 PM

So true. We're at the end of 3Q , maybe we hear some news when the 4Q starts.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:17 PM

Ok chill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest