HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
ive been putting together a northern nova scotia construction map. the area includes canso to amherst.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...9bf7adac6&z=12

green - complete
red - approved
purple - proposed/rumored
blue - U/C

things being put on the map include: buildings, road work(main roads only), wind farms, and main construction sites(ex. albion place in stellarton)

i dont have any developments for amherst as of right now. and any input is welcome. just post the project here with some details and i will add it.

also completed projects on the map have been completed in the last year and a half.
I made one for Amherst, really goes along your guidelines, I'm sure you can transfer what I did over to yours.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...cd5d257c5&z=19

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:03 AM

thanks J.M. i will work your map into mine later tonight... or when everi get the chance

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:16 AM

Oh, just a note, the 3 Buildings in the Civic Centre and Cenotaph have been around for a while. I have em tabbed for being apart of the proposals.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:14 AM

so the only thing that really needs to go onto my map is the terrace? is it proposed? approved?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:47 PM

The Terrace is approved, the Civic Centre is quite significant actually, large glass structure, so really it should be listed. Same with the Victoria Park redevelopment. Also right across for the Civic Centre is Lawtons, it was completed exactly a year ago if that goes for your standards.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 4:10 AM

central confirmed that it will be building a new location in albion place today.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Civic centre designs offer wow factor

The designs and schematics for the new Central Nova Scotia Civic Centre certainly delivered on the wow factor front when unveiled this week.
In a nutshell, the building - from the futuristic glass, multi-toned and textured exterior to the spacious and bright interior - looks beautiful. At least on paper.
From the swimming pool and adjacent rock-climbing wall, which is visible to the pool crowd via a glass window, to the second-floor lobby area to nearby grounds and walkways appear inviting, it's all impressive.
And we haven't even seen an image of the civic centre's signature location - the 2,700-seat event venue. Those designs, no doubt, will be unveiled at a later date. At least, we hope so.

(...)

Hats off to transit system promoters
Hats off to Mark and Marlene Martin, the Truro couple, who hope to launch a public transit system in Central Colchester by mid-February.

(...)
http://www.trurodaily.com/Opinion/Ed...r-wow-factor/1

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Old fire hall new home for market

TRURO - The old fire hall in Truro will become the new home for the Truro Farmers' Market.
The move will allow the popular market to be an indoor/outdoor ventureand initially run for 10 months of the year, with the intention of expanding to year-round. It's also anticipated a mid-day market could be incorporated in the future. Plans indicate there will be public washrooms, an inspected kitchen, more prepared food and an outdoor canopy. It is expected to be optional in the spring of 2011.
"I think it's great! It's a disgrace to have farmers stand out here in all types of weather ... and they deserve to be treated with respect," said Truro's Winnifred Roy of the new location. "I would love it year-round and I prefer it inside. Farmers are the backbone of the community and I'm glad this is happening."
The announcement was made Saturday morning at the market during its 30th anniversary celebrations. Market president Lloyd Mapplebeck said the half-million dollar project includes renovations to the old fire hall such as plumbing, electrical work, painting and cleaning. The provincial government is contributing $100,000 towards the cost of renovations. Truro-Bible Hill MLA Lenore Zann made the presentation, calling it a market "birthday present."

(...)
http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local...e-for-market/1

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Transformation well underway

There's an amazing transformation underway in Truro and the surrounding area.

It is a transformation so significant that the community we know today will look remarkably different within two to three years.

Here's a roll call of some of the major projects afoot, some nearly completion, others soon to get underway and still others being seriously discussed:

* New community hospital (er, health centre) - check

* New civic centre - check

* New home for Farmers' Market - check

* Major façade upgrades for downtown core - check

* Major upgrades for key downtown public spaces - check

* New library - wheels are in motion on this one

* Upgrades to historical museum - early planning stages

* Normal College school of performing arts - being discussed

* New traffic flow through centre of town - check

Now toss in the fact that some great new schools opened in the past couple of years and you've got a community where things are happening in a big way.

Of course, there are few projects that ever meet with 100 per cent community approval. For instance, we noted this comment from a Truro resident when the new Farmers' Market was announced on the weekend.

"Truro is not a city: it's moving too fast," this good citizen stated.

"I feel it's too much at once."

No doubt there are some who would agree with her, but we don't.

OK, so Truro is not a city, but here's food for thought. It's the largest town in Nova Scotia. Add the surrounding communities of Bible Hill, Valley, North River Onslow, Old Barns, Millbrook and others and you've got a 30,000-population base that rivals that of Sydney - the province's second largest city.

And every single project listed above will impact on and be supported by the people in the communities mentioned as well as several others.

We believe it is the time to think big and we can't wait to see how things look in the hub of Nova Scotia when most of these projects are completed a few short years from now.
http://www.trurodaily.com/Opinion/Ed...ell-underway/1

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Mapping out a solution: Pictou wants to put best face forward on traffic front
PICTOU – Rumours are swirling around Pictou faster than cars on the rotary about changes to the town’s entrance, but little information is confirmed at this point.
During a random survey of some Pictou residents Thursday about possible development plans of the Shiretown’s entrance, some people said they heard a gas bar was going to be built in the area and others said a local fast food restaurant is moving to accommodate a new location for the air force plane.
What is confirmed is the Town of Pictou has hired a traffic engineer and a land-use planner with Delphi MRC to look at traffic flow in the area in hopes of making the town’s entrance more appealing and easier to manage for motorists.
“We are doing a traffic study and we recently met with some of the people affected by this,” said Pictou Mayor Joe Hawes. “We are looking at changes to the rotary area and Veterans Drive. We want to see what could be done to make the traffic flow a little better.”
In the town’s fall newsletter, it states the main objectives of the study are to expand or better use the commercial zone, create an engaging entrance to the town and stimulate new investment. The main areas being looked at in the study include Weaver Road and Veterans Drive as well as some land near Pine Tree Road. The town currently leases the soccer field and Veterans Park near the rotary, but it has been lobbying the government for years to turn that land over to the town so it can develop it.
Hawes said if the town is able to acquire this provincial land and relieve some of the traffic congestion in the area, there is potential to attract developers to the Shiretown looking to set up shop in the town’s gateway.
Veterans Drive resident Sarah Bronson welcomed the news about the study since she is one of two residents who circulated a petition in the area to make the busy roadway into a one-way street.
Formerly known as Second Street, Veterans Drive runs from Haliburton Road to Weaver Road, which makes it a short cut for many motorists and easy access for a lot of trucks hauling their products to Tim Hortons, Sobeys, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Subway or the Nova Scotia Liquor Commission.
“There is more traffic through here than on the 104 highway,” she said. “It starts about 5:30 a.m. and it’s unbelievable the traffic that goes by.”
She said the road is too narrow to accommodate two-way traffic and it is in poor shape with broken pavement along the edges.
“I brought the petition to a town meeting and everyone is trying to address the problem. I think we should focus our energy on finding a solution,” she said.
She would like to see traffic flow one way on Veterans Drive and another way on Dunromin Terrace, which runs parallel to the busy street. She would also like to have sidewalks on Veterans Drive so pedestrians could feel safer.
“It’s good they are looking into it,” she said. “Some people at the meeting were concerned about Weaver Road and Sobeys, but nobody gets the magnitude of traffic that Veterans Drive does.”
During a special council meeting Wednesday, some councillors were concerned that once the study is complete, the public would have little say about proposed changes. Others expressed concern that if the town’s entrance is developed into a commercial area it would have a negative effect on businesses in the downtown.
Town CAO Scott Conrod told council the study is looking at making the entrance like the “front porch to the town” that will draw visitors into the downtown rather than lure them away.
He said once the study is complete there will plenty of opportunity for public consultation and council will have the final say on changes to the area.
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2010...raffic-front/1

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 8:57 PM

Farmland development OK'd for Port Williams

The Nova Scotia government will allow 24 hectares of farmland in Port Williams to be rezoned for development — half the size requested by local landowners.

Municipal Relations Minister Ramona Jennex announced the compromise on Tuesday.

"I was trying to strike a balance in that we are going to lose some of the agricultural components, but we also need to develop," she said.

Two landowners asked the Municipality of the County of Kings to rezone 50 hectares of their properties for residential development. Opponents challenged the move, arguing that would threaten traditional farmland.

The province's decision calls for the upper portion of farmland along Collins Road to stay agricultural.

Jennex said any development on the rezoned land must include a 30-metre buffer zone between houses and farmland. This buffer of trees and plants is meant to prevent over-spraying, she said.

Fred Whelan, warden of Kings County, said he doubts the landowners will be pleased with the province's decision.

While the municipality approved the landowners' request, it needs the permission of the province to change its municipal plan.

The province also requires municipalities to preserve valuable farmland as much as possible.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...-williams.html

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 11:38 PM

^Well I guess even the Kentville area has to have its sprawling subdivisions.

Port Williams is only a tiny community so this will increase the population dramatically and while I'm normally against sprawling when there is tonnes of land closer to the centre of town its good to hear the northern side of the river is going to be populated a bit more.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:01 AM

The approved 2 building project for O'Brien Street in Windsor is now on hold pending a sale of the site with the development agreement included;

http://www.partnersglobal.com/files/...81aa254370.pdf

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 5:25 PM

Quote:
N.S.-P.E.I. ferry to stay: MacKay

The Northumberland Ferries service between Caribou, N.S., and Wood Islands, P.E.I., is not in danger of shutting down, Conservative MP Peter MacKay says.

The federal government is reviewing the route, which Northumberland has been operating since the 1940s and which the federal government subsidizes to the tune of $5-million a year.

The review had raised concerns about the service's future from workers, tourist officials and Liberal MP Lawrence MacAulay, who is the local MP on the island side of the ferry route.

But MacKay, the local MP on the Nova Scotia side, said the review is normal practice for a government operation and that he has heard nothing to suggest the link is in jeopardy, with year-to-date passenger traffic up 3.6 per cent.

He said any suggestion the ferry service is teetering on the edge is Liberal rhetoric.

"This is part of what I would call the annual Lawrence MacAulay Chicken Little routine that we've seen year after year, even when he was in government," MacKay said.

"I don't think it would come as a surprise to anyone that within departments we look for accountability, we look for public funding to be spent wisely, and in fact as you know, this year the ridership is up."

The two ships — Confederation and Holiday Island — take approximately 475,000 passengers annually on the route, which connects a local section of the Trans-Canada Highway.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...ackay-584.html

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Public transit meeting planned

TRURO - The issue of public transportation in the Hubtown will be discussed during a meeting set for next Wednesday at the Holiday Inn.
Called 'On the Road to a Provincial Transportation Strategy', the daylong event is expected to draw bus clients, operators and other community, municipal, and provincial participants from across Nova Scotia.
The event is hosted by Community Transit - The Nova Scotia Community Based Transportation Association, with a grant from the 2010 Nova Scotia Transit Research Incentive Program, which is administered by Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations.
The two-phased project - a research component and a stakeholder's forum - is the first examination of public transit from a provincial perspective.
"Many existing transit services are community-run, serving a specific area or clientele," said Dr. Wayne Groszko, project researcher and an instructor in Environment and Engineering at Dalhousie University.
"The goal of the research phase is to produce a schematic diagram of both publicly and privately-run transit systems in Nova Scotia, identify service gaps, and present a business case for a province-wide mapping system."
http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local...ting-planned/1

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Civic Centre frequently asked questions

By Kathy Sutherland
September was a busy milestone month for the civic centre project as a final building design was approved and the initial tender for earthwork and servicing was awarded. Construction is officially underway and if you drive by the site, you will see the work crew putting in long hours and making tremendous progress as phase one of construction continues. On Sept. 28, the community had their first look at the civic centre's impressive architectural designs and had an opportunity to ask questions of project architects, Shore Tilbe Irwin + Will as well as members of the project steering committee. For this month's editorial, I thought it would be beneficial to share some of the questions that were discussed at the public session especially for those who were unable to attend:
Q: What will it cost to construct the new Civic Centre?
A: Costs associated with the civic centre are projected to be $41.2 million for construction of the facility itself and $6.7 million in other soft costs, totalling $47.9 million. Soft costs include architectural design fees, studies, off-site improvements (i.e. road widening, relocation of traffic signals, service/utility connections), land purchase, facility furnishings & equipment, borrowing costs (interest), project administration, etc. The construction budget of $41.2 million includes construction management fees and contingencies.
Q: How many parking spaces will there be, and will it be enough?
A: The site will accommodate between 450 to 500 on-site parking spaces, which transportation experts acknowledge, will be more than adequate for day-to-day usage. An additional 350 parking spaces will, however, be needed to accommodate spectators during large sell-out events likely to occur at four to six times per year, mostly during evening hours. Arrangements with adjacent land owners are being explored and some confirmed for off-site parking during such cases.
From a sustainability point of view, the Civic Centre project is targeting silver LEED status and in an effort to reduce its environmental and carbon footprint, preserving more land in a natural state vastly improves natural drainage capacity and supports vegetation to absorb carbon emissions. It is common with almost every similar type of facility across Canada to provide sufficient parking to support 95 per cent of its usage and to explore more creative and cost effective ways to supply the additional five per cent when circumstances warrant.
Q: Once the Civic Centre is completed, what plans have been made to manage operating costs?
A: During the winter of 2010, dmA Planning and Management Services were engaged to complete a Business Plan and Operating Pro-forma for the facility based the mix of civic centre components. The purpose of doing such an exercise early in the process was to get a realistic understanding of potential revenues and operating costs and make adjustments to the facility space program before they became too engrained in architectural drawings. Indeed, the outcome of this exercise saw changes to the space program and a more efficient use of space and programming opportunities that would enhance revenue-generating possibilities.
Operating costs are dependent on a multitude of factors and choices made through the design and construction phase as well as the market the facility is intended to serve. While much of the revenue generating potential is a direct correlation of programming that has not yet been determined, estimates based on known factors forecast an annual operating deficit of $150,000. To put this in context, the Municipality of Colchester has provided for several years a partial subsidy to Scotia Pool operations amounting in excess of $100,000 per year.
This is only a small sample of the questions asked, but also the most common ones that are brought forth on a regular basis. Over the next couple of months, I will continue to address the most frequently asked questions so if you have any additional questions, or comments please contact us through our website www.ignitethespirit.ca, phone 893-9706 or by email at ignitethespirit@colchester.ca.
Kathy Sutherland is fundraising and public relations co-ordinator for the civic centre project. She lives in Truro.
http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local...ed-questions/1

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 7:58 PM

agreement helps Trenton plant to build Nova Scotia wind towers

Quote:
Nova Scotia Power and Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) have agreed to work together to build and deploy made-in Nova Scotia wind towers and blades across the province.

During a tour of the DSME operation in Busan, Korea, Premier Darrell Dexter announced today, Oct. 19, a letter of intent has been signed between DSME Trenton and Nova Scotia Power that provides the opportunity for DSME to supply wind turbine components for up to 100 MW of capacity expected over the next four years. The Nova Scotia government is a partner with DSME in the Trenton operation under the terms of a deal announced in March.

"This is a win-win situation towards creating a better future for all Nova Scotians," said Premier Dexter. "Securing work to build towers and blades needed here in the province will mean hundreds of high quality jobs, while showcasing the plant's manufacturing capabilities throughout North America."

The province has set a target of producing 25 per cent of its electricity from renewable resources by 2015, and a goal of 40 per cent by 2020. These are some of the most aggressive targets of their kind in the world.

Nova Scotia Power will work with DSME on having the Trenton plant supply the towers and blades required by the utility during the next several years. In addition, they will encourage the use of those components by independent power producers working on their own or in partnership with communities to develop wind power.

"We are very pleased about this agreement, and how it strengthens our partnerships with Nova Scotia and NSPI," said Mr. Nam Ki Lee, CEO of DSME Trenton. "We continue to expect that our arrival in the province will support our plans to enter and succeed in the North American wind market."

"We look forward to furthering our relationship with Daewoo," said Robin McAdam, executive vice-president, sustainability with Nova Scotia Power. "We are interested in exploring opportunities to help create success for a local manufacturer as Nova Scotia Power expands its renewable generation."

Under the letter of intent, DSME would supply Nova Scotia Power with the wind turbine components, subject to competitive pricing and quality, and the ability to meet requirements of the utility's turbine suppliers.
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2010...-wind-towers/1

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 3:22 AM

College and DSME partnership takes shape

STELLARTON – A new course will be offered at the local Nova Scotia Community College campus that will give students the skills needed to work in the growing windmill industry.
The provincial government recently invested $150,000 in NSCC so it could develop a program to train workers to build windmill blades.
“Our province is positioning itself to be a leader in a new and growing market,” said Pictou East MLA Clarrie MacKinnon who made the funding announcement on behalf of the Department of Labour and Workforce Development. “We turn to the Nova Scotia Community College that has a strong and well-deserved reputation for meeting Nova Scotia employers’ needs.”
Windmill blades are made from composites, a combination of fibres and resin used to build strong, light and durable parts. Composites are also used in Nova Scotia’s aerospace and boatbuilding industries, however, large windmill blades require new skills, procedures and training.
“Some of the blades will be 45 metres long and we need special workers to do the job of building them and NSCC will serve that purpose,” said MacKinnon.
The local MLA said the money invested by the province will go to helping the NSCC develop curriculum and train instructors. The course will expand on NSCC’s existing composites curriculum to reflect the needs of the windmill industry. It will train workers hired by DSME Trenton that recently purchased the former TrentonWorks rail car plant in hopes of constructing windmill blades. The course is expected to run for six weeks and the curriculum should be complete by 2011.
“I look forward to seeing graduates here building wind turbine blades and re-energizing our community,” said NSCC Pictou principal Dave Freckelton.
DSME Trenton, which recently signed a letter of intent with Nova Scotia Power that gives the company the opportunity to supply wind turbine components for up to 100 MW capacity.
Nova Scotia Power will work with DSME on having the Trenton plant supply the towers and blades required by the utility during the next several years. In addition, they will encourage the use of those components by independent power producers working on their own or in partnership with communities to develop wind power.
DSME Trenton has set a target production date of March 2011. The company is expected to employ hundreds of workers when it is fully operational.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2010...-takes-shape/1

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Aecon Fabco bustling with "opportunities"

A month after Aecon Fabco unveiled the refurbished marine railway the Pictou ship yards are bustling with more activity.
Currently, two Hebron Sea supply vessels are docked and will have new engines installed. Also a Glenside navy tug boat is docked and will be taken out of the water, using the marine railway, to be painted and have steel work conducted and the Grand Manan ferry will be coming to the yards for inspection and repair work.
“This is the beginning, we are hoping to have ships here all winter,” said Ken McCormick, vice-president of Aecon Fabco. McCormick added the company is currently bidding on several ships for repair right now. “There are a lot of opportunities.”
In early spring, Aecon Fabco began work on the marine railway refurbishment and unveiled it mid-September at a Marine Expo the company hosted. Last week the marine railway was in the water for the first time in more than five years.
“Everything we are getting is driven for the railway,” said McCormick. “We have also had interest from commercial ship owners, scallop draggers...that type of boat. We are negotiating possible contracts to take boats out of the water for the winter and have them worked on.”
McCormick said he is pleased with the amount of work the ship yards are getting, but not surprised.
“We knew that the business was there so we did our homework,” he said. “There is nobody on the east coast that has the abilities to do repairs with the ship out of the water.”
Aecon Fabco has occupied the Pictou ship yards since 2008 with business focussed on module fabrication. The new marine railway has opened up opportunities for marine work, but the company will continue fabricating modules. McCormick says the ship yards will function as two separate businesses in one facility.
McCormick said work on the HMCS Gatineau and HMCS Terra Nova is 80 per cent complete with no problems.
Currently, Aecon Fabco employees approximately 80 and will be looking to hire in the near future. He said Aecon Fabco has long-term plans to stay at the Pictou ship yards.
“It has been great,” said McCormick. “We’re very happy with the people and the work force
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/stories.asp?id=4426

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Sydney rail subsidy extended

The Nova Scotia government is spending $3.5 million to ensure rail service to Cape Breton continues for another year.

The province has extended a subsidy to RailAmerica, the company that runs the Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway.

The subsidy is retroactive to March 31 and expires next Sept. 30. An extra $500,000 is available if a transition period is needed.

Percy Paris, minister of economic and rural development, said a working group will look at the viability of the service beyond next year.

About 1,500 railcars were transported last year, but about 10,000 are needed every year for the company to break even, according to the province.

The maximum crossing fee is now $300 a year.

The previous five-year subsidy was for $10 million. The railway company had been pushing for an extension.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...l-subsidy.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces