HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

22nd Commerce Square Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:08 PM

I've heard lots of dumb questions from people who sit and listen to a presentation and then seem to feel they need to hear the answer over again but directed especially to them.
Some stupid people would do better to keep their mouths shut so everybody else does not know how dumb they are.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
They tore down the RBC head office for that ugly as hell RBC midrise there now? Ugh. Lots of idiotic decisions taken in the 1960s.

Surprising that the bank itself, would let its original head office go. Dumb.
Working in that building in the 1960s was likely similar to working in the Dennis Bldg today. Cramped floors, low ceilings, no A/C, undersized public spaces, bad elevators, all sorts of code violations. If you were the regional V-P of the Royal at the time trying to win business from some local or prospective tycoon, would you really want to bring them to an ancient, undersized, underserviced building? It was the Space Age - modern was better.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
At a 1993/4 Neptune board meeting dealing with the proposed budget I asked if the organisation had Directors & Officers Liability Insurance. The answer was "No. We can't afford it"
Nobody else seemed bothered about the lack of D & O but I persisted and at another meeting a rep from a major bank told the president she would have to leave the board if Neptune did not have D & O. Major employers will not allow staff to serve on a board that does not have D & O. The cost was a couple of thousand dollars and the coverage was in place prior to construction of the new theatre.
D&O is cheap because the risk of payout is low. It is really only necessary for volunteer, non-commercial or undercapitalized company boards. Large companies will usually indemnify directors and simply self-insure.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 10:12 PM
Honored Member

According to the following Chronicle Herald story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...er-development - it will still be necessary for Council to vote on the development.

Developer Wolfgang Thiel said he was pleased with the decision but added that the development still has a number of steps before construction can begin.

“I’m more optimistic and confident that we are going to reach that approval. But we still have to go back to council for overall approval.”

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 3:52 AM
Honored Member

On the Council agenda for May 13th - http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/140513rc-agenda.html - are the substantial alterations proposed for 22nd Commerce Square proposal. HRM must vote on substantial alterations to heritage buildings so I assume The May 13th Council vote is the one that decides whether this will be allowed to proceed or not (however, I am not sure).

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 2:36 AM

The heritage building alterations were approved tonight by Regional Council. This project is now APPROVED (provided there are no appeals).

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 2:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The heritage building alterations were approved tonight by Regional Council. This project is now APPROVED (provided there are no appeals).
Thanks for the information. There was an appeal to the Design Review Committee's approval that was voted on and the appeal was rejected by Council on April 29th.

I don't think that there can be any more appeals.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 11:59 PM
opinionated so and so

There can be appeals to the courts, but not through the UARB.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 2:37 PM

"Geography of Nowhere" author James Howard Kunstler caught wind of this building—he's not impressed. (Granted, he's using the pre-revision rendering.)

Last edited by Drybrain; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
"Geography of Nowhere" author James Howard Kunstler caught wind of this building—he's not impressed. (Granted, he's using the pre-revision rendering.)
Anyways, he's got his facts wrong. The cantilever isn't over "Province House". It's a bank.

Doesn't Mr. Sprawl understand that we *have* sprawl because of the difficulty and failure to allow more intense downtown development, including high rise?

Reading the comments, which is a bunch of people mostly complaining (expectedly) about the development, one commentator wistfully remembers a visit to Halifax "40 years ago", and illustrates some funny cognitive dissonance:

Quote:
Now comes the above eyesore with a whopping “set-over.” Who got the payoff on the air-rights for this thing? The city? Forty years ago the downtown was inviting. What we have here is a looming sword of architectural Damocles. This goes beyond what I call “The Tipsy School” of architecture, to something deeply foreboding. Are the city fathers (and mothers too) aware that what they should have done with this historic building is keep the high-rises away from it with low and mid-rise zoning to preserve its urban context.

Context? What’s that?

Footnote: I looked at a satellite photo of Halifax. The waterfront, which has some nice attractions and historic properties, alas seems to have an alarming amount of space taken up by parking lots.
Naturally, he's inclined to dislike the proposal. And, funnily, wonders why we haven't kept "the high rises away" from the "low and mid rise zoning" to "preserve its urban context".

Well, now. Seems to me outside of a few odd exceptions (Maritime Centre) our entire history of development is keeping high rises away from pretty much everything and everywhere.

Moreover, while lamenting a new development, he then laments the "alarming" amount of parking lots on the waterfront!

Those parking lots are a happy (or sad? depending on your POV) reminder of the successes (or failures) of height limits, view planes, and rampart laws, that have "preserved" the "urban context", which includes those "alarming" parking lots, empty holes, etc, on the waterfront and elsewhere.

Our problem is that in 40 years *everything* has moved from the core slowly, but surely, to suburbia. That's not the fault of a cantilever design in 2014; it's the fault of legal and civil society obstructionism (height limits), economic conditions, and badly managed urban planning.

With some of the other commentators (this one is "DarrenHFX") I wonder if we've been living in the same city:

Quote:
I’m from Halifax myself and there has been a slow creep of office towers and related facilities into the historic downtown core over the last 40 years. Most of it has been poorly designed and has absolutely no relationship to the street and sidewalk offering many a block barren of anything meaningful. Bad decisions have extended consequences unfortunately. There are a few gems that do remain and I do hope that they don’t get encased in a similar fashion as this architect’s conceptual image.
There's been a "slow creep of office towers" into the "historic downtown core"? Really now? Where, exactly, were these "office towers" before? Where were they creeping from? Halifax Harbour? The South End? In fact the entire "historic" downtown is made up of historic office buildings and towers. What delusional world are you living in? Perhaps Darren is from Halifax, Yorkshire, England? That makes more sense.

Seems to me, that the actual "slow creep" has been office space out into business and retail parks-- Burnside, Bayers, Dartmouth Crossing, etc.

Last edited by counterfactual; Jul 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:32 PM

It's probably important to note that Kunstler is against all skyscraper development, because he's convinced that within a few decades our entire society will undergo an unprecedented energy crisis that will render useless any building that needs an elevator. (He also hates the Mirvish-Gehry project in Toronto and Calgary's National Music Centre, as well as London's Shard skyscraper and lots of o ther notable projects).

Still, "The Geography of Nowhere" and "The City in Mind" are both really good reads/screeds against badly planned North American suburbia. He's an extremist and a cranky guy, but he can be funny too.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 9:46 PM
armchairitect

Monkey with typewriter?
Geography of know where is excellent, and a must read but almost everything else he writes is crap.

The eyesore of the month used to be better - mocking brutalism, and lazy blank walls on streets and crosswalks leading to retaining walls. Now I'm not so sure. He seems to be against suburbs but also urban areas leading me to believe he wants us all living in small agrarian towns with front porches

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Monkey with typewriter?
Geography of know where is excellent, and a must read but almost everything else he writes is crap.

The eyesore of the month used to be better - mocking brutalism, and lazy blank walls on streets and crosswalks leading to retaining walls. Now I'm not so sure. He seems to be against suburbs but also urban areas leading me to believe he wants us all living in small agrarian towns with front porches
Right. On. The. Money.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It's probably important to note that Kunstler is against all skyscraper development, because he's convinced that within a few decades our entire society will undergo an unprecedented energy crisis that will render useless any building that needs an elevator. (He also hates the Mirvish-Gehry project in Toronto and Calgary's National Music Centre, as well as London's Shard skyscraper and lots of o ther notable projects).

Still, "The Geography of Nowhere" and "The City in Mind" are both really good reads/screeds against badly planned North American suburbia. He's an extremist and a cranky guy, but he can be funny too.
This is why you're a great guy to argue over this stuff, Dry. You're reasonable but also pretty honest and fair when it comes down to it-- acknowledging Kunstler's limits/extreme views is an example of that.

Kunstler, I think, will soon retire into the wilderness. Maybe live inside an abandoned bus in the Alaskan outback. But I fear even from there, he'll blog and curse beavers for building 2m dams on rivers.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:52 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
But I fear even from there, he'll blog and curse beavers for building 2m dams on rivers.
Save the View!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
This is why you're a great guy to argue over this stuff, Dry. You're reasonable but also pretty honest and fair when it comes down to it.
Right back at ya!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Monkey with typewriter?

Well, he's a favorite of Bousquet, so I imagine he must be negative on everything. I wonder if he's related to lawyer-for-all-bad-things William Kunstler.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Save the View!
"While I support beaver dam development I cannot support this particular beaver dam for the following reasons..."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, he's a favorite of Bousquet, so I imagine he must be negative on everything. I wonder if he's related to lawyer-for-all-bad-things William Kunstler.
And neither to be confused with the late, great, writer Arthur Koestler of Darkness at Noon fame.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:43 AM

Quote:
"While I support beaver dam development I cannot support this particular beaver dam for the following reasons..."
This dam will cast a shadow and create unusual wind patterns around my outhouse.

So there is a different design out there than this one? Thank goodness for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth