HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
How big is Boise? Do you really think they are big enough for a NFL team? I would love for Pueblo and Colorado SPrings to have one but I dont even think we are anywhere near the size that can support one.
The metro is about 600,000 right now, and growing at a good rate. But that's also why I said once they get more population. The thing with Pueblo / Colorado Springs is they are in Bronco territory, while Boise is pretty isolated there (closest team being Seattle I suppose?), and with BSU and the support it gets and has created, I think there's a good football market out there.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
The metro is about 600,000 right now, and growing at a good rate. But that's also why I said once they get more population. The thing with Pueblo / Colorado Springs is they are in Bronco territory, while Boise is pretty isolated there (closest team being Seattle I suppose?), and with BSU and the support it gets and has created, I think there's a good football market out there.
I think they have a ways to go in fact I could see Salt Lake geting one long before Boise.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 12:48 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
I think BSU has done wonders for Boise's sports scene. They just need to wait for more population to feed off. I could a see an NFL team there in the not-so-distant future. I'm not sure if there's much support for the other major sports though.
There's only one place the NFL wants to go in the US, LA. Other than that, they want to look at international expansion.

Any other sports that Boise could support in terms of a professional team?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 12:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
There's only one place the NFL wants to go in the US, LA. Other than that, they want to look at international expansion.

I could see them geting baseball or even hockey as they grow.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:03 AM

Boise is pretty decent supporting their local semi-pro hockey team. An NHL team could possibly make it here. Hard to say though. The true and tried fact is that Boise is HUGE in supporting the Broncos. It really is a cool thing to be a part of.

An as far as the NFL expanding to international markets. I'm way against it. Horrible idea.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:13 AM
BANNED

I am not sure I am for it either. Baseball tried it and it did not work what makes them think the NFL can pull it off?????

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:18 AM
Always running Late

um.. in international markets.. there is only ONE football and it's a black and white round ball....
grid-iron as it's called overseas is not popular enough overseas for them to have any kind of reasonable expansion... I know americans think they are the center of the universe when it comes to sports... they would have better luck putting an nfl team in a smaller city like Boise before they would any place in europe...
As for professional sports in boise... I could see NHL team doing well here... I don't think NFL would do so well in that BSU is the star when it comes to football...people support bsu because it is college football.. and not professional
We certainly could support a professional sports team in the near future.. I think boise is about 630K right now.. and projections from Compass predict 900k-1m by 2020... which would be plenty big enough to support it.
As of now boise's trade area due to it's isolation is well over a million already.. drawing upon eastern oregon and southern idaho (twin falls) etc.. if sprawl keeps happening and elmore county as well as malhuer and payette counties get gobbled up into our MSA in the next couple years.. that's another 100k already

Last edited by Boiseguy; Oct 9, 2009 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy
um.. in international markets.. there is only ONE football and it's a black and white round ball....
grid-iron as it's called overseas is not popular enough overseas for them to have any kind of reasonable expansion... I know americans think they are the center of the universe when it comes to sports... they would have better luck putting an nfl team in a smaller city like Boise before they would any place in europe...
Boiseguy - I think by international the NFL means Canada and possibly Mexico (hence the preseason games in Mexico City). I don't believe the NFL has any intention of placing franchises in Europe - the logistics preclude it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy
As for professional sports in boise... I could see NHL team doing well here... I don't think NFL would do so well in that BSU is the star when it comes to football...people support bsu because it is college football.. and not professional
If in the future Boise becomes NFL worthy it'll be bad news for BSU. It wouldn't happen immediately, but within 10 years the NFL would dominate. It would put Boise on a whole other level. BSU is big because Boise has nothing else at the moment. In the end college football is just the NFL's minor league.
The NFL doesn't compete with college football in any market. If you don't want to watch the very best compete at the highest level under the brightest lights - stay on the porch.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post

At the same time, teams have owners, and can sell their team, move it, really do what they want with it. If they can make more money elsewhere, aren't getting the support they need where they're at, etc. they'll move. Look at the Browns going to Baltimore (now Ravens).

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
If in the future Boise becomes NFL worthy it'll be bad news for BSU. It wouldn't happen immediately, but within 10 years the NFL would dominate. It would put Boise on a whole other level. BSU is big because Boise has nothing else at the moment. In the end college football is just the NFL's minor league.
The NFL doesn't compete with college football in any market. If you don't want to watch the very best compete at the highest level under the brightest lights - stay on the porch.
It happens, off the top of my head - Miami Hurricanes and Dolphins.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson
It happens, off the top of my head - Miami Hurricanes and Dolphins.
I'm not saying that they're not in the same geographical market, I'm simply pointing out that the NFL is the big dog in the market. How much are people willing to pay to see the product on the field? How much media covers the games? How much TV exposure and revenue? Not much competition there.

Here's a link to an article describing the Hurricanes attendance woes entitled 'Miami fans have poor attendance record'.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...tendance_N.htm

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
We certainly could support a professional sports team in the near future.. I think boise is about 630K right now.. and projections from Compass predict 900k-1m by 2020... which would be plenty big enough to support it.
I don't think that's plenty big enough to support it. The Salt Lake metro is well over 1 million right now and that's not big enough to support a pro football team. Of course there are rare cases like Green Bay, which has a metro of maybe 500,000, and yet it has one of the most successful franchises in the league. But again, it's a rare case, because technically the city owns the team.
Anyway, I don't see NFL football expanding into any new city besides LA in the near future. And who cares? College football blows the NFL out of the water. Watching the U of U, TCU, and Boise State challenge the BCS year after year is the best. Every game is like the super bowl.

While on the topic of sports in Idaho, I'm curious about the Boise NBA Development team. Do they get good support? The Orem Flash seem to be a bit wanting for support but then they're competing with the Jazz. Anyway, just wondering how they're fairing up there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding
Anyway, I don't see NFL football expanding into any new city besides LA in the near future. And who cares? College football blows the NFL out of the water.
Who cares? Well that would be real football fans who like to see the game played at it's highest level. If your not an NFL fan in my opinion your not a football fan. Your just a homer who likes college ball because of the attention it can bring your city or state. College ball is nothing more than the poor man's NFL.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post

While on the topic of sports in Idaho, I'm curious about the Boise NBA Development team. Do they get good support? The Orem Flash seem to be a bit wanting for support but then they're competing with the Jazz. Anyway, just wondering how they're fairing up there.

The Idaho Stampede is popular and appears to get good support although I have not been to any of their games. I inluded web links for more detailed info.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/idaho/spl...7581-1664.html

As Boiseguy mentioned the Idaho Steelheads ice hockey team (named for the salmon) is very popular in Boise and probably get more support than the Stampede.

http://www.idahosteelheads.com/home.aspx#

The Boise Hawks minor league baseball gets a lot of support.

http://boise.hawks.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t480

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:13 PM

I'm just a homer who follows the college football scene from coast to coast? So what am I? An American homer?
I feel so foolish. I didn't realize there were REAL football fans on this forum! How embarrassing. I never would have said anything if I knew a real football fan would expose me as a homer.
If you're not an NFL fan in your opinion you're not a football fan. If you're that jaded by somebody saying they like college football better, in my opinion you're a dumb ass.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I'm just a homer who follows the college football scene from coast to coast? So what am I? An American homer?
I feel so foolish. I didn't realize there were REAL football fans on this forum! How embarrassing. I never would have said anything if I knew a real football fan would expose me as a homer.
If you're not an NFL fan in your opinion you're not a football fan. If you're that jaded by somebody saying they like college football better, in my opinion you're a dumb ass.
I concur. NFL sucks ass. College ball is AWESOME... but what do I know, I'm not a real football fan.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding
Do you watch the NFL? If not - how come? The greatest players in the world compete on a weekly basis. The best football in the world is on display. You spend all your time watching guys who'll never play with the best - why? You follow college ball from coast to coast because it affects your local team and how they are viewed - that's all. Next you'll tell me you like AAA baseball better than the MLB because you follow the Bees.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:31 PM

As far as major league sports expanding into markets like SLC and Boise, I don't really see it happening for a very very long time. I would prefer to see an MLB team in SLC, mainly because the stadiums have much more frequent use. The NFL plays 8 home games a year, maybe some playoff games, and perhaps one or two preseason games. Through in a few monster truck rallies (if the owners allow the field to get this kind of abuse) and some concerts and you get what, maybe 45 days a year that it is in use. Seems like a waste of good land. At least a baseball team plays 80 home games per year.

Back to college football. The college regular season beats the NFL hands down. It adds a whole new level of excitement when you have to win week in and week out. When a team like the Chargers can win their division last year at 8-8, that sucks. The NFL playoffs, much better than bowl season.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:41 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Do you watch the NFL? If not - how come? The greatest players in the world compete on a weekly basis. The best football in the world is on display. You spend all your time watching guys who'll never play with the best - why? You follow college ball from coast to coast because it affects your local team and how they are viewed - that's all. Next you'll tell me you like AAA baseball better than the MLB because you follow the Bees.
I really hate the dick comparing when it comes to sports discussions...there's nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry.. but seriously how is anyone suppose to take this comment seriously when you fail to acknowledge the value in college sports
fact of the matter is.. college sports scene is tomorrow's professional sports scene.. Many people enjoy the sport and it's players while they're in the process of rising to greatness.. rather than jumping on the bandwagon after they finally do.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:59 PM
NYC Rick

More competitive...maybe

Quote:
The WAC is more competitive in basketball. Not on MWC's level in football right now. Though I like the Conference name WAC much better then MWC, which sounds stupid, and too specific, and of course has little history.
Not even close when you look at the overall quality. The MWC can have some down years but overall they are much more balanced and have much more potential to make a serious statement.

Hey, the WAC can have some great teams. Top to bottom it is weak.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West