HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:48 PM
arf

Mexico City would certainly hurt in comparison to most CFL vities. 2,550m above sea level.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 6:52 PM

My guess (FWIW) may be that they will play in a smaller 20-30K stadium maybe in the Cancun area so that people (CFL Fans) can vacation and take in a football game

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
My guess (FWIW) may be that they will play in a smaller 20-30K stadium maybe in the Cancun area so that people (CFL Fans) can vacation and take in a football game
There wouldn't be many Canadians down there in the summer.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:45 PM

So the riders/Argos neutral site game is sat. July 25 and the riders play the following Thursday July 30. I would hope that Mexico is off the table then. I'd think teams would get a bye after playing in conditions that Mexico offers.

I wonder if the neutral site will be a campus in southern Ontario. Maybe an attempt to sell the Argos a bit. Guelph maybe? They did a nice job hosting the ti-cats a few years back.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:57 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
So the riders/Argos neutral site game is sat. July 25 and the riders play the following Thursday July 30. I would hope that Mexico is off the table then. I'd think teams would get a bye after playing in conditions that Mexico offers.

I wonder if the neutral site will be a campus in southern Ontario. Maybe an attempt to sell the Argos a bit. Guelph maybe? They did a nice job hosting the ti-cats a few years back.
Seems strange the they would select the Riders as the Argos neutral site opponent as that would likely be the stongest gate for the Argos at BMO.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post

I love the CFL but why can I see them doing something like this to their teams?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 3:23 AM

This Alouettes sale is getting beyond bizarre at this point. Now Clifford Starke is back again trying to get Ambrosie to consider him buying the club. I have a feeling it is the Lenkov brothers who are holding this up as I have had and continue to have doubts on their actual wealth and being able to handle potential losses when owning the club. This sale is becoming like Brexit it's taking forever!

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...enews-interest

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:05 PM

Now the CFL let go of Patrick Boivin as the Alouettes president? What the hell is going on here and why is this sale of the Alouettes become such a 3 ring circus?

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/03/c...tes-president/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:41 PM

^ It's clear that there's a lot going on behind the scenes... the Als obviously aren't a top priority at this time of year for the Montreal sports press corps, so not much has been said publicly.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 12:01 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Stamps trade Arbuckle to Ottawa for a 3rd round draft pick.

The Stamps also released Tre Roberson and Reggie Begelton to pursue NFL options.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 1:04 AM

Arbuckle earned the right to start... Good for him.

Also, the Bomber defense has been picked apart by NFL signings... I miss the days when CFL players mostly flew under the radar once they came up here.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:20 PM

As per Dave Naylor at TSN:
The CFL’s 11:30 am news conference in Montreal is to announce new ownership for the @MTLAlouettes. #CFL #Als

no word yet on who the new owners are?

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/06/n...d-in-montreal/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
As per Dave Naylor at TSN:
The CFL’s 11:30 am news conference in Montreal is to announce new ownership for the @MTLAlouettes. #CFL #Als

no word yet on who the new owners are?

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/06/n...d-in-montreal/
I wonder if Claridge is involved and Boivin had to go as a conflict of interest or maybe the new owners wanted to start fresh.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 4:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 4:48 PM

Whoa, shocker. Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern of Crawford Steel

Steel industry entrepreneurs Spiegel, Stern new owners of Alouettes
TSN Football Insider Dave Naylor January 6 2020

Two entrepreneurs from the steel industry are the new owners of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

Sid Spiegel is the founder and chairman of the board of Southern Ontario-based Crawford Steel. Gary Stern is the company’s chief executive officer.

Their previous investments in Quebec include steel plants in Longueuil and Rouyn-Noranda, and real estate holdings.

The sale of the Alouettes brings to a close months of searching for new owners by the league, which took over the franchise from Bob and Andrew Wetenhall last May. The league negotiated with several potential owners of the team over the course of the season, repeatedly stating it expected a sale to close before the end of the season.

Under the league’s guidance, with interim head coach Khari Jones and general manager Joe Mack, the Alouettes reached the playoffs for the first time in five seasons.

Team president Patrick Boivin was dismissed late last week. A search for a new general manager, which was put on hold before Christmas until new ownership could be settled, will resume quickly.

The Alouettes were re-born in 1996 with the relocation of the league’s Baltimore franchise. They had been owned by the Wetenhall family since 1997.

Last edited by elly63; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 4:52 PM

Montreal Alouettes new owners announced
CFL.ca Staff January 6 2020

MONTREAL — The Montreal Alouettes have new owners, it was announced on Monday.

The Canadian Football League (CFL) club has been purchased by S and S Sportsco, a corporate entity owned by Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern – entrepreneurs with a track record of hard work and success, as well as, a deep passion for Canadian football.

“It’s amazing for us to be part of the Alouettes, a storied franchise that has meant so much to the people of Montreal and Quebec, and so much to the game we have followed all our lives,” Spiegel said.

“We see this not only as a challenge, but also as something that can be a lot of fun. We want Alouette fans to know we share their desire to see this team win on and off the field,” added Stern.

“We commit to them and our players, coaches and front office that we will do everything in our power to ensure this team succeeds. Our goal is to make Montreal and Quebec proud.”

Sid Spiegel is the Founder and Chairman of the Board of Crawford Steel. Gary is the company’s Chief Executive Officer.

Their previous investments in Quebec include steel plants in Longueuil and Rouyn-Noranda and real estate holdings. They now want to build a championship football team and the best fan experience.

“Our first priority is putting in place a new General Manager and a new President who can make the right football and business decisions,” said Stern, who will serve as the Alouettes’ Lead Governor on the CFL Board of Governors.

“We do tremendous business in Quebec and we have great respect for the province. We want to build this organization the way we have built our businesses: by putting good people in place and supporting them as they do their jobs, while working with great partners and understanding the market.”

Describing themselves as “CFL fans for life,” Spiegel and Stern are excited to get started.

“There have been so many great Alouette players spanning so many eras, from Sam Etcheverry and Hal Patterson to Peter Dalla Riva and Wally Buono to Anthony Calvillo and Ben Cahoon – this is as humbling as it is exciting,” Stern said.

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie presided over the process that led to today’s announcement.

“These gentlemen emerged with the best offer in hand and the best interests of the Alouettes and their fans at heart. They have a genuine passion for football in Montreal and the resolve and resources to make the team successful over the long term,” Ambrosie said.

“I want to thank Alouette fans, the media and especially everyone in the Alouettes’ football operations and front office, for their patience during the process of securing new ownership. I especially want to acknowledge the Board of Governors of the CFL. Its stewardship and commitment have made this new chapter in the Alouettes story possible. Finally, I want to thank former Chair of the CFL, Jim Lawson, for his tireless work, and our new Chair, Dale Lastman, who was integral to this successful outcome.”

The Alouettes’ roots are as deep and as old as the game itself. The first written account of a football game in Montreal dates back to 1868. The first pro team in Montreal was organized in 1872 in the Mechanics Hall Building at McGill University.

In 1946, the Montreal Alouettes Football Club was founded as a successor to the teams of years past, and the team’s name was chosen to honour the first French Canadian squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force, an outfit heralded for its daring, bravery and skill.

The Alouettes have since captured seven Grey Cup championships (1949, 1970, 1974, 1977, 2002, 2009 and 2010), featured several Canadian Football Hall of Famers, including Hal Patterson, Wally Buono and Ben Cahoon, and boasted many dominant teams, particularly during the 1970s and 2000s.

“We cherish the history and traditions of Alouette football,” Stern said. “Now, what our fans and players want most is a strong and promising future, and that is our focus.”

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:02 PM

Thank goodness this sale got done. This clears up Boivin being let go. I am glad the Lenkov bros didn't buy the Als and I have never heard of these Steel guys before but I wish them best of luck.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:03 PM

And thus endeth the drama.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:18 PM

Interesting in the press conference the new owner just mentioned if the fans and corporate sell out Molson consistently again then the new owners would consider investing in a new stadium for the Alouettes.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Interesting in the press conference the new owner just mentioned if the fans and corporate sell out Molson consistently again then the new owners would consider investing in a new stadium for the Alouettes.
He knows a good place to get some cheap steel

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada