HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...-femicide/amp/

I knew it! Je le savais!

This explains why the spree happened near the 2-year mark since Alec Minassian mulled down 14(?) women in North York.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 4:01 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
This explains why the spree happened near the 2-year mark since Alec Minassian mulled down 14(?) women in North York.

I think you're mixing that up with the 14 women murdered at École Polytechnique.

There were 10 people, both male and female, that were killed in North York (anger at women may have been the apparent impetus for the attack, but it's probably kind of hard to select one's victims by gender when you're barrelling down a sidewalk in a van).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:20 PM

So he didn't have a firearms license and the only Canadian sourced gun was the Cnst's (RIP), the rest all illegal American guns

But millions of LEGAL gun owners will be punished...

We already have sensible gun control in Canada...

I'd caution against viewing it purely on a feminist lense, that article even went on to suggest and link that the Pulse shooting was due to spousal violence (completely ignoring the fact that the victims and motive of the attack was on gay men)

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:47 PM

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A lot of remote communities effectively don’t have police force. What other guns are effective for defending one’s own place?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Wrong thread I know but horrible year and month for Nova Scotia, with that chopper crash now.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
A lot of remote communities effectively don’t have police force. What other guns are effective for defending one’s own place?
How about a nice 12 ga shotgun? Or a sweet 9mm Glock?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I don’t own any gun so I won’t know. As long as the gun gives you an edge in a standoff, it should be good.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wrong thread I know but horrible year and month for Nova Scotia, with that chopper crash now.
Thanks Acajack. One of my very good friends trained the aircrew and he's absolutely devastated by this. The two Naval Officers were likely on a familiarization ride. Tough day for the Navy and Maritime Air.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 11:24 PM

Ugh, it just keeps coming. Fredericton has its second homicide of the year. This is only a few weeks after the first one of the year.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 7:13 PM

Montreal at 6 now after a homeless man was stabbed on st catherine.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:22 AM

Out of curiosity, how stupid are the police in Lethbridge? I hope they get sued.

Stormtrooper attracts the wrong kind of force as Star Wars promotion takes a turn
Passerby records video of police ordering woman in Star Wars costume to ground on May the Fourth
CBC News · Posted: May 05, 2020 1:38 PM MT

Police officers in Lethbridge, Alta., are being investigated after at least one pulled a gun on a woman who was dressed in a stormtrooper costume and carrying what turned out to be a fake firearm as part of a Star Wars-themed business promotion.

It started when police responded to two 911 calls reporting someone in a stormtrooper outfit was carrying a firearm along the 500 block of 13 Street North, the Lethbridge Police Service said in a release issued Tuesday.

The woman in the costume was actually trying to promote a restaurant on May 4, or "May the Fourth" — a day Star Wars fans celebrate as Star Wars Day. It's a pun on the iconic line in the movies: "May the force be with you."

A passerby was shooting video of the stormtrooper in a parking lot outside the Coco Vanilla Galactic Cantina — encouraging her to march like the menacing soldiers do in the movies — when police showed up.

"Get down on the ground," shouted one officer, while another approached the costumed woman carrying his long-gun....

...."Our signs on the front of the building say 'Star Wars.' We were playing Star Wars music. It's a stormtrooper, with a stormtrooper blaster. You know, you have to use a little bit of common sense."

The woman wasn't charged, police say.

The force says Chief Scott Woods has reviewed the file and additional information — including the video circulating on social media — and directed a service investigation under the Alberta Police Act to look into whether the officers acted appropriately within the scope of their training and LPS policies and procedures.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-day-1.5555963

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:23 PM

Murder suicide outside of Edmonton in Sherwood park. Guy shot his wife and daughter then him self. Family dog as well. I son survived.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:57 AM

Holy shit this massacre could have been avoided if police and the justice system had dealt with this maniac when they were warned. Read this article:

Quote:
Neighbour reported mass shooter's domestic violence, weapons to police

'Even though I'm military and I know how to use a weapon, that man scared the crap out of me,' woman says
Michael Tutton · The Canadian Press · Posted: May 13, 2020 6:43 AM AT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

A former neighbour of the gunman behind last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia says she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the RCMP years ago and ended up leaving the community herself due to fears of his violence.

Brenda Forbes said that in the summer of 2013, she told police about reports that Gabriel Wortman had held down and beaten his common-law spouse behind one of the properties he owned in Portapique, a coastal community west of Truro.

Domestic violence is being examined as a key aspect of the mass shooting, as police have said the rampage began on the night of April 18 after the gunman argued with his common-law spouse and restrained and beat her before she managed to escape into the woods.

He went on to kill 22 people and burn a number of homes before police shot and killed him outside a gas station in Enfield, N.S.

Forbes said her first awareness of Wortman's domestic violence was shortly after he moved to Portapique in the early 2000s, when his partner came to her door and asked for help.

"She ran to my house and said Gabriel was beating on her and she had to get away. She was afraid," said the 62-year-old veteran of the Canadian Forces.

Forbes said she encouraged her neighbour to seek help but recalled that she was frightened of her partner and of repercussions of going to police due to threats he'd made against her family.

She said that in 2013, she learned Wortman had been seen hitting his partner behind one of his properties.

"He had her on the ground, was strangling her ... He was beating on her," she said of the account she heard, saying there were three male witnesses.

"On that incident, I called the RCMP and I told them what happened, and I said he has a bunch of illegal weapons, and I know because he showed them to us," said Forbes, who has since moved outside the province.

She said that in response to her complaint, the RCMP interviewed her while she was working at a cadet camp in Debert, N.S., and she retold the story. She said she encouraged one of the three witnesses to give his account to police, but he refused, saying he feared violence from Wortman.

Witness wanted more thorough investigation
Forbes, who first told her story to the Halifax Examiner, said it upset her that police seemed unable to take firmer action on her complaint.

"From what I got from the RCMP, because (the partner) would not put in a complaint, as she was scared to death, they basically said, 'There's not much we can do. We can monitor him but there's not much else we can do,'" she said.

The Canadian Press emailed the RCMP about the prior report of domestic abuse, but a spokesperson wasn't immediately available for comment.

RCMP Supt. Darren Campbell said during a news conference last month that investigators "have spoken to witnesses who have provided information to us about prior assaults; those are all things that we are dealing with right now."

He has also said that investigators are speaking to the former common-law spouse to gain a better understanding of previous incidents.

However, Forbes said she felt at the time the incident should have been more thoroughly investigated.

"If you tell them that he may have illegal weapons, should you not go and check it out?" she asked.

'I was scared'
Her husband, who also served in the Canadian Forces, recalled being shown their neighbour's weapons cache.

"He knew I had weapons, being in the military, so he was always one of those guys who had to show others that whatever they had, he had something better," George Forbes said. Wortman showed him firearms, including pistols and a rifle, in the garage, he said.

"We reported that to the police also," he said. Police have said the gunman didn't have a licence for his weapons.

Brenda Forbes said that after she reported the abuse incident to the RCMP's Truro detachment, Wortman became more aggressive toward her.

George Forbes recalled him coming to the front door and threatening his wife. Brenda Forbes said Wortman would drive around their house and park outside the door.

"I was scared. ... Even though I'm military and I know how to use a weapon, that man scared the crap out of me," she said.

She said she and her husband left the area in 2014 out of growing fear and discomfort over Wortman's behaviour.

Calls for inquiry into role misogyny played in mass killing
Linda MacDonald, a founder of Persons Against Non-State Torture, said in an interview that advocates who are trying to reduce violence against women have long seen a connection between hatred of women and mass shootings.

The Truro-based nurse is among the signatories of a recent statement that called for a deeper look at the role misogyny played in the April 18-19 killings.

"There's definitely an element of male violence against women in this crime," she said. "Our main request is an independent public inquiry with a feminist analysis included."

MacDonald said if male violence against women were considered more seriously in the criminal justice system, it could avoid tragedies such as the one that occurred in Nova Scotia.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ence-1.5567330

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Holy shit this massacre could have been avoided if police and the justice system had dealt with this maniac when they were warned. Read this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ence-1.5567330
Well that certainly doesn't give me much confidence in our police and justice system. Citizens doing the right things and still the system is incapable of acting on that intel.

I know there is a fine line between a safe society and an oppressive society, but for god sakes the RCMP had credible and actionable evidence to at least seize the guns.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:17 PM

JFC...

Photo shows replica RCMP car inside Nova Scotia gunman’s home months before rampage

https://globalnews.ca/news/6933586/n...-gunmans-home/

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Well that certainly doesn't give me much confidence in our police and justice system. Citizens doing the right things and still the system is incapable of acting on that intel.

I know there is a fine line between a safe society and an oppressive society, but for god sakes the RCMP had credible and actionable evidence to at least seize the guns.
People that have confidence in canadian police have probably never really had to deal with them on any significant level. Working in an assisted living home listening to the stories from retired police officers, one of whom was in her 50’s and had a debilitating illness, i can’t say I respect any of them. They laugh about how they abused overtime, did all their shopping on shift, took turns taking naps, picking up their drunk friends on duty and driving them around like a taxi service, if you think the young cops are any different. Think again. These were RCMP AND city of Winnipeg cops.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:53 AM

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
“It is premature to consider a public inquiry at this time,” said a spokesperson for Nova Scotia Justice Minister Mark Furey. Furey is a former member of the RCMP.

Heads need to roll...

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
“It is premature to consider a public inquiry at this time,” said a spokesperson for Nova Scotia Justice Minister Mark Furey. Furey is a former member of the RCMP.

Heads need to roll...
They sure do but that will never happen under the current federal government.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada