Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
You cant see anything in that cam

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You cant see anything in that cam
I know, it's horrible. The only thing I could see were people in the lower right corner.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:48 PM

YouTube link is legit

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
YouTube link is legit
For God's sake, I wish they would just tell us how tall it will be.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 5:22 PM

Yeah there was no mention of height during the groundbreaking but it did sound like there were a lot of moving parts in the background to get this project up and running. I am glad that this project is finally breaking ground. It has almost been I think 5 years in the making.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 5:24 PM

We should have a prize for whoever finds the final height info first. LOL!!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 5:30 PM
Modulator

I'm sticking with 37 floors. I think the past 2 articles we've read mistakenly quoted the tower at 32 floors. But that is the number of residential floors as far as I know.

If I am correct, we are still looking at a 400-footer.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I'm sticking with 37 floors. I think the past 2 articles we've read mistakenly quoted the tower at 32 floors. But that is the number of residential floors as far as I know.

If I am correct, we are still looking at a 400-footer.
that would be fantastic! crossing fingers that we get our 3rd 400+ footer in this one

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
that would be fantastic! crossing fingers that we get our 3rd 400+ footer in this one
At 37 floors I'm guessing around 416'?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
At 37 floors I'm guessing around 416'?
shorter floor to ceiling heights and the podium garage - i'd guess more like 400 to 412' is where we end up at 37 total floors

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:52 PM

PBJ Article for Central Station

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...wn-starts.html

Quote:
Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said the upcoming Central Station development in downtown Phoenix is going to be the answer for several things missing from that part of town right now.

The development, which a groundbreaking ceremony was held for on April 13, will be built on 2.6 acres in downtown Phoenix between First and Central avenues and Van Buren and Polk streets.

Central Station will have housing for students and young professionals, restaurants, coffee shops, flexible office space, and it will be home to primary downtown bus and light rail transit center. Gallego said this project will bring more people to downtown Phoenix.

“There is an ever-increasing interest in the downtown campus from ASU students, and they spend time here and they want to live downtown,” Gallego told the Business Journal. “There are so many amenities and fun things to do, and we are hearing that students want to be in the middle of it all. We need student housing in a wide variety of configurations.”

Central Station, which is being developed by Houston-based Medistar Corp., with GMH Communities and CBRE Investment Management, will have a 22-story student housing tower that will have 655 beds and all apartments will be fully furnished. The tower will have micro-studios for those who want to live alone and up to four-bedroom units for those looking for more of a group living situation.

Second tower
Along with student housing, the development will have a second tower – 33 stories – that will include 362 apartment units.

“We still have a relatively small portion of our downtown workforce that lives downtown, I’m excited for the option to change that,” Gallego said. “This will be the type of project where you don’t need to own a car. There will be one million transit connections in your front yard. I think that will be very attractive.”

The developers said there will be a number of amenities for residents including barbecue grills, fire pits and a resort-style pool.

The building will also feature 70,000 square feet of state-of-the-art flexible creative office space, something Gallego said is in demand in downtown Phoenix.

“We are very excited about the creative office space,” Gallego said. “We are seeing more and more corporate headquarters who want to be here and they really value high-quality building space that is move-in ready. This will be a great asset for us on the economic development side.”

The Central Station project has been in the works for years and was delayed a bit longer because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Gary Holloway Jr., the president and CEO of GMH said during the groundbreaking that the project will cost more than $300 million to develop and should be finished in about 900 days — or in the fall of 2024.

The project was designed by Gould Evans, and Layton Construction will serve as general contractor.

When originally announced, the city and the developers boasted about a hotel and grocery store being part of the project. The developer has nixed the hotel plans, and Gallego said that the retail options are “still evolving to meet downtown needs.” The ground floor of the project will include 30,000 square feet of retail space that the developers said would focus on “food-oriented concepts.”

The project, which was approved by the Phoenix City Council in 2019, was a result of a request for proposals the city released to redevelop the station. The city will continue to own the land and Medistar will lease it for a 99-year period. Over 99 years, lease payments to the city will generate $171.5 million, city officials said at the time. Interested developers were required to incorporate the transit uses — two light rail stations and a bus station — into the designs. The construction of the project is planned to incorporate those transit elements without interrupting service.

Monzer Hourani, CEO of Medistar said during the groundbreaking ceremony that the Central Station was conceived with the idea of human connection in mind. That the project will connect people together in new ways, he said. How the project is designed and how it will connect to the Civic Space Park and the light rail and bus stations, will make it unique in Phoenix, he said.

“This is a new type of product for us in Phoenix,” Gallego said. “I love that there is no back to the building. It interacts with the park. It interacts with the downtown streetscape. It is very active.”

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:59 PM

Great. Now another floor count has been thrown into the mix...33 stories LOL

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:03 PM
Modulator

Again, I think these are misquoted articles. According to Medistar's website, it's 362 units on 32 floors WITH 2 levels of office and 1 level of street retail. I did email Layton this morning and hoping to get an answer. I'll post if they reply.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Again, I think these are misquoted articles. According to Medistar's website, it's 362 units on 32 floors WITH 2 levels of office and 1 level of street retail. I did email Layton this morning and hoping to get an answer. I'll post if they reply.
And throw 35 in the mix !

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 10:16 PM

AZ Big Media's story on the groundbreaking. They are referencing the same floor count posted at PBJ...must be a copy-paste job.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/1...ntown-phoenix/

Quote:
One tower, a 22-story student housing building will be fully furnished and comprised of 655 beds. Fostering a collaborative living environment, the development will be equipped with smart technology, amenities, and services designed to meet the unique needs of urban residents. This component of the Central Station development will also feature a diverse array of residential options ranging from micro studios to four-bedroom units, catering to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as young professionals.

The second, a 33-story residential tower, includes 362 units and features smart-tech throughout. All residents will have access to an outdoor amenity deck that includes barbeque grills, fire pits, and a resort-style pool.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:05 PM
Modulator

So basically, we now have 32, 33, 35 and 37. Let's just go for 40!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
AZ Big Media's story on the groundbreaking. They are referencing the same floor count posted at PBJ...must be a copy-paste job.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/1...ntown-phoenix/
So the student tower will be taller now? It was originally 19 floors at 200' with 435 beds. And the mystery deepens!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:10 PM

Final verdict is in...

Well, bad news.

Finally got some confirmation from Medistar. The website is incorrect and what the local media outlets have been reporting is correct.

We are only getting 22-story and 33-story towers .

Was really hoping we could break 400' w/ this project. Such a shame that the Intercontinental Hotel pulled out and they weren't able to secure another hospitality company. They lost about 5 floors w/ that news if I remember correctly.

Oh well...project still looks great!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Let's just go for 40!
I endorse this

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So the student tower will be taller now? It was originally 19 floors at 200' with 435 beds. And the mystery deepens!
Yeah the website always had it listed at 19 floors but news reports had pegged it at 22 floors over the last couple of months...leading to the confusion that everyone has LOL

Anyways, the person at Medistar said they would be updating the website soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest