HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Between two sources today, I have a new list of possible tenants (two to be precise) that would be bombshells for CF Champlain. I think it's too soon however to spill the beans as to what I have been told. The information could still be wrong, and only one of these two people is potentially correct.

In either event however, the shoppers of southeastern NB will be very pleased.
Oh come on... You're going to keep us in suspense like that?!

Based on your apparent level of excitement, I'm going to guess that one of those potential retailers is L.L. Bean.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I did say that I wasn't going to spill the "beans"............

Curious to note that the new LL Bean in Dartmouth Crossing is 15,000 sq ft, almost identical to the consolidated storefront.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:38 AM

Quote:

Well, I did say that I wasn't going to spill the "beans"............
Ha! I did indeed miss that...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 1:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The source of the LL Bean rumour actually didn't know the name of the retailer coming, but was privy to some of the details regarding the upcoming renovations to the store space, and from what he/she was able to tell me, it was pretty obvious that the most likely candidate would be LL Bean.

Only time will tell..........

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 4:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's another rumour on Retail Talk & Share stating the tenant for the consolidated space in the south wing at CF Champlain might be Baton Rouge.

I have no idea what the reliability of the source is, but the typical Baton Rouge locations are only about 5,500-8,000 sq ft., not the 13,273 sq ft that would be available with the consolidated storefronts (18,547 sq if RW&Co is included). As such, I am of the opinion that this rumour is unlikely. Baton Rouge however is known to have been interested in a Moncton location in the prepandemic times, so we should keep an eye on this one.

As I have already noted, 13,273 sq ft is not far off the footprint of the LL Bean in Dartmouth Crossing, and from what my source told me about what he saw from the specifications for the build, LL Bean would be a distinct (but unsubstantiated) possibility.

And, for the purposes of complete transparency, the third possibility I was recently made aware of was Aritzia, but the source of this rumour, (although a mall employee), was not really in a position to really have any inside knowledge, so this rumour must be second hand (at best). Also, even flagship Aritzia locations average only 5,000-6,000 sq ft, so this consolidated store space would be entirely too large. I place little credence in this rumour..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 17, 2022 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Assuming that RW&Co is also relocating within the mall, then I think the likely scenario for the south wing of CF Champlain is for two new retailers.

1) - one larger retailer comprising the four storefronts from Just Cozy to Marie Claire, with the top candidates being LL Bean or Old Navy.
2) - one smaller retailer replacing RW&Co, with the top candidates being Mountain Warehouse, Torrid or Aritzia.

Baton Rouge remains in the mix for the RW&Co space, but this space may be a touch on the small side for this restaurant chain.

Another question would be if Mountain Warehouse would co-locate adjacent to LL Bean. This is a tough one. From what I've seen of the LL Bean at Dartmouth Crossing there actually wouldn't be much overlap, so it could be possible.

It will be fun speculating over the next few months before the plans are finally made known. I imagine it will be the late fall (pre Christmas season) before renovations are complete.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 7:30 PM

A full-service restaurant at Champlain would be welcome, I've said it for a while like many others here, however I'm not sure if ThaiExpress and Pur & Simple are doing that great. ?!? Secondly, I mean a few years ago women's undergarments and jewelry was all the rage at Champlain, times have changed and it's time for new trends and new things. Food and entertainment is the future (the mall would be much stronger if Chapters, Cineplex and Bass Pro was attached to the mall). Also new to the market tenants are again I say the key, or at least popular enough even if they exist in Moncton; TJX (stores) or Old Navy. A sit down restaurant Bâton Rouge and Old Navy, LL Bean and Aritzia would be interesting additions for sure (opening a restaurant in these times is risky nonetheless, I wouldn't). But please, no more chains that are unknown and unwanted. I think it would be time to return food/snacks tenants to the center of the mall; Pretzelmaker, Kernels, Cinnabon, Sweetfactory or any candy store, etc... there never was a Cinnabon at the mall, but you get my drift. Starbucks should also have their own space and storefront and not just a kiosk in the middle of everything, it's unkept and often dirty.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 8:00 PM

It would be great if the Chapters/Cineplex building could be connected to the mall. I'm not sure how that would happen unless it was part of a major expansion. If CF ever decided to add residential units to the mall like they have in other markets, perhaps they could do it so that the connection could be made. However, that would be a major project so I don't know if we'll ever see it happen.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 10:02 PM

I don't see CF developing a residential aspect to the mall, there is no such incentive to do so here. If and when it's done (elsewhere) it's because the mall really is a landmark and it's in a very attractive area, is or will be a major transit hub (rail or subway) and is part of a very large project (CF Pointe-Claire) or is located on land with very high value, many (or)'s here. What we see CF doing elsewhere is not applicable here. There would be very little attraction to live at Champlain. Where it was done elsewhere in Canada, it was in a major metropolitan area or at least larger than Moncton, this will not happen, just like a second story to the mall. I have a really good feeling that CF Champlain is on the chopping block in the CF portfolio, and Covid was the last nail in the coffin. CF Champlain really looks out of place in the current CF portfolio, now more than ever. This might happen in 2-3 years or sooner. The only reason why they haven't sold it yet is because they want the market to stabilize IMHO. We might possibly see a restaurant or a hotel on the property, but not a residential tower. I just don't see it and CF probably doesn't either. We will see and are already seeing large residential complexes in Moncton in more attractive settings than Champlain ever was, is or will be.

Just my opinion, I'm often right, but sometimes I am mistaken. Take it as it is and with a grain of salt.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Jan 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Plucking Palace (KFC) in the food court at CF Champlain has apparently permanently closed.........

And, suddenly, the quality of the food offerings in the food court has increased 100%

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:12 PM

I often state that it is helpful to eat KFC once in a while, if only to remind yourself that you should eat KFC no more than once in a while.
Someone should start a restaurant, though, selling only the skin. It'll be a sure winner.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:23 PM

From the wrong thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Re: KFC, another one bites the dust. I'm surprised by this, it looked usually fairly busy, without naming other tenants I did not think this one was the weaker link. Was the lease due-expired? The KFC at Regent closed at well within the last year, correct? Perhaps KFC doesn't do it for many nowadays. What will replace it?

KFC Regent is still open (for now). It was New York Fries that was the first Food Court Casualty of COVID, and now PretzleMaker is also shut down for good.

KFC closing in Champlain is a bit of a surprise; hopefully the mall is working to get another tenant lined up. It's a bit of a tough environment to work in, but COVID won't last forever so now might be a good time to start lining things up with a hope that we'll be opening back up to normal in the spring/summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I often state that it is helpful to eat KFC once in a while, if only to remind yourself that you should eat KFC no more than once in a while.
Someone should start a restaurant, though, selling only the skin. It'll be a sure winner.
Yeah I'm pretty much the same way, with both KFC and BK. And even then at KFC I only get Popcorn chicken which is basically "Just the skin/breadding"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:43 PM

Re: KFC, another one bites the dust. I'm surprised by this, it looked usually fairly busy, without naming other tenants I did not think this one was the weaker link. Was the lease due-expired? The KFC at Regent closed at well within the last year, correct? Perhaps KFC doesn't do it for many nowadays. What will replace it?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
What will replace it?
A contact of mine suggested that this would be a prime opportunity for Pretzelmaker/Mrs Field's to move to the centre court, but that was just a suggestion.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
A contact of mine suggested that this would be a prime opportunity for Pretzelmaker/Mrs Field's to move to the centre court, but that was just a suggestion.
It would be good for the Pretzelmaker to move here because their current location is horrendous. It's a shame to have sent any food retailer to that graveyard area of the mall. Just bad, bad, bad.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 12:01 AM

There's post in FB Retail Talk group that the old Costco is no longer listed as for sale. And according to them surveyor's have been on site.

Could there be finally something going on there?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 12:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
There's post in FB Retail Talk group that the old Costco is no longer listed as for sale. And according to them surveyor's have been on site.

Could there be finally something going on there?
Yes, I was just advised of this.

An interesting coincidence that the listing has been removed at the same time that people have been seen inside the building, and surveyors have been observed on the property.

It would seem obvious that something must be up, but the jury is still out as to what this could possibly be.

This building would be very difficult to repurpose, except for another big box, or perhaps as warehouse space. It would be interesting to know if this (apparent) sale has anything to do with the soon-to-be-vacant Kent store next door.

We will have to keep a very close eye on this one..........

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 11:52 AM

From retail talk and shares....

Moncton: Developing Story: Two people have now messaged me to inform me that U-Haul is the new owners of the former Costco on Trinity. If true that would probably mean a relocation of its Mountain road location?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:39 PM

If it’s Uhaul l, what a wasted opportunity for such a big profile site. On the other hand that would likely mean a redevelopment of their mountain road location.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I could see this happening. If U-Haul were to buy it, then the structure would remain and require only internal renovation. The parking area also is large enough for oodles of vehicle and container storage. I would not be at all surprised by this development.

The property is massive, and I would imagine this would mean that U-Haul would abandon their current property at the former Canadian Tire on Mountain Road.

U-Haul taking over the old Costco however would be a big blow to Wheeler Park. There are also rumours that Kent will retain their current Wheeler Park location after they move to their new store out by the TCH, and use it for storage purposes. If this also transpires, then this would remove over two hundred thousand sq ft of (potential) retail space from the area.

Choice Properties of course has no say in the matter since both Costco and Kent are "shadow" anchors and these two retailers own their own properties and therefore can do whatever they want.

In any event, I have not been impressed by Choice Properties in terms of what they have in mind for the rump of Wheeler Park that remains. Their website is opaque, intended only for investors, and it is impossible to see what their leasing plans are, or if they intend to renovate the development to make it more attractive to prospective tenants. I have the distinct impression that they indeed have no plan, or particular interest in this property, and that Wheeler Park will be left to suffer and to decline.

I hope this is not the case, but this is my gut feeling..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 22, 2022 at 1:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces