HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
I think they will do okay. The NOLA suburbs lack some decent modern apartments. They might be the uninspiring box design but virtually every city with decent sized growth is swarming with those types of developments.

Its a decent location with good access to the area and the region. The other key for me is getting good tenants at the Clearview renovation. Would like to think they'll be able to attract some restaurants/brands without a presence in the metro. I'd like to see a whataburger or a zaxbys in there, but I think they'll try and get higher calibre names given the rent rates we are seeing for the apartments.
I know of a few local restraunteurs they have approached so def seems they are going for more destination retail. Although, for me a whataburger would be one

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:12 PM
-

Hotel St Vincent Pictures:

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:14 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I think they will do okay. The NOLA suburbs lack some decent modern apartments. They might be the uninspiring box design but virtually every city with decent sized growth is swarming with those types of developments.
A lot of the suburban parishes don't really allow new apartments. St Bernard was even sued for it. New Orleans is somewhat more friendly to this since there's already so much multifamily scattered throughout the city.

There are a lot of 70s garden apartment complexes scattered throughout the metro, many of them pretty rundown. Nobody wants one of these in their backyard... partly racism but they're also just eyesores. Those complexes were built super-cheaply and are expensive to maintain, so no surprise they end up looking rundown quickly... missing siding, peeling paint, etc. Hopefully the newer generation of 5+1 podium apartments looks better in 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I know of a few local restraunteurs they have approached so def seems they are going for more destination retail. Although, for me a whataburger would be one
Interesting. I was expecting more along the lines of Fremaux where its dominated by national names.

Lets get a red robin down there too for us cultureless basic bitches.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:34 PM
-

Quote:
Interesting. I was expecting more along the lines of Fremaux where its dominated by national names.

Lets get a red robin down there too for us cultureless basic bitches.
If you see national brands Id expect things along the lines of California Pizza Kitchen or Bar Louie etc

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 3:15 PM
-

1525 Elysian Fields Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:WRPW8M
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Scott Wolfe
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/5/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Enclosure of existing outdoor seating area into an additional Suite (D) for Melbas Seafood

633 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:H0U41P
Type:
Applicant:
Bourn Sharon
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/4/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Removal of existing French doors and windows on first floor Canal Street Elevation, replace with two sets of French doors and matching window, and locate closer to Canal St property line.

djsnola
623 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:RVAGMN
Type:
Applicant:
Ellis Bob
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/4/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
This is a conversion of 19 short-term rentals to hotel. The construction has already been completed and inspected

TAQUERIA LA COYOTA 3200 ST CLAUDE AVE SUITE B NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AG.36.0000115500-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 3600115500

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 8:59 PM
-

Seem promising that there is interests.

City Extends the Six Flags RFQ Deadline

“We are encouraged by the interest in the former Six Flags site since the solicitation was released. To give interested developers an opportunity to submit their best responses, we are granting a one-time extension on the submission deadline,” said Jeff Schwartz, director of the Office of Economic Development

https://www.bizneworleans.com/city-e...-rfq-deadline/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Seem promising that there is interests.

City Extends the Six Flags RFQ Deadline

“We are encouraged by the interest in the former Six Flags site since the solicitation was released. To give interested developers an opportunity to submit their best responses, we are granting a one-time extension on the submission deadline,” said Jeff Schwartz, director of the Office of Economic Development

https://www.bizneworleans.com/city-e...-rfq-deadline/
Its the perfect spot to build a large distribution center. Lots of open land and easy access to the interstate.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 1:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Its the perfect spot to build a large distribution center. Lots of open land and easy access to the interstate.
The list of plan holders on the cutys rfq page was very long so def a lot of diverse parties interested.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 1:25 PM

I'm assuming there's no chance a new theme park will go here? It'll be an industrial or commercial use probably?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 2:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I'm assuming there's no chance a new theme park will go here? It'll be an industrial or commercial use probably?
There were some plan holders on that list that have proposed theme parks before... i would be surprised if a theme park is in anyway proposed over there and wins the rfq... think the city isnt interested in that and I agree.

I think mix of uses is possible for sure and film and tv production could be a big anchor too

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
There were some plan holders on that list that have proposed theme parks before... i would be surprised if a theme park is in anyway proposed over there and wins the rfq... think the city isnt interested in that and I agree.

I think mix of uses is possible for sure and film and tv production could be a big anchor too
Yeah I agree they need to move on from the theme park idea...
didn't work the first time around and especially difficult in the current environment

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Yeah I agree they need to move on from the theme park idea...
didn't work the first time around and especially difficult in the current environment
theme parks are not job generators , especially outside of Orlando.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:57 PM

To me the biggest issue is not the location, but that the city wants to control what goes on there. I think they should have auctioned off the property years ago. Why would an Amazon want to deal with all of the hoops when they could have St. Tammany, Jefferson, St. Charles etc., roll out the red carpet.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I would like to see a theme park given a fair shot with a competent operator. Cedar Point draws people from all over the world, despite being hours away from a major city.

Setting aside the pandemic, the local landscape is very different compared to 2005. We have way more hotel rooms (with 1000 more coming this year alone) and flights and you also have a broader drive market with Astroworld gone. Clearly the heat is not a deterrent given how many people flock to Orlando over the summer.

While theme park jobs aren't the best, it provides a way to fill rooms and restaurants over the summer months, which would provide a huge economic boost to the entire hospitality industry, not to mention tax revenue. As much as we all want more high-paying jobs, we still need to find more employment for lower skilled workers in the region.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 11:05 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
To me the biggest issue is not the location, but that the city wants to control what goes on there. I think they should have auctioned off the property years ago. Why would an Amazon want to deal with all of the hoops when they could have St. Tammany, Jefferson, St. Charles etc., roll out the red carpet.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I would like to see a theme park given a fair shot with a competent operator. Cedar Point draws people from all over the world, despite being hours away from a major city.

Setting aside the pandemic, the local landscape is very different compared to 2005. We have way more hotel rooms (with 1000 more coming this year alone) and flights and you also have a broader drive market with Astroworld gone. Clearly the heat is not a deterrent given how many people flock to Orlando over the summer.

While theme park jobs aren't the best, it provides a way to fill rooms and restaurants over the summer months, which would provide a huge economic boost to the entire hospitality industry, not to mention tax revenue. As much as we all want more high-paying jobs, we still need to find more employment for lower skilled workers in the region.
I'd much rather industrial/film or something that pays more than shitty minimum wage jobs. We have to diversify the economy. And solid good paying jobs would greatly benefit the East

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:12 AM

Film studio is definitely another great idea. That or a distribution hub would provide decent jobs with good wages in the East and hopefully spark further investment. We already have more than enough tourism jobs (which as we've seen are greatly affected by events out of our control).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post

Cedar Point is Cedar Point - you can't recreate that. For an amusement park to be successful in the greater New Orleans area I think it needs to be a well-run small-ish park that is geared toward families. It would draw from the 1.2 million people in the area, not try to get out of state tourists. Some examples of existing independent parks like this are Adventureland in Iowa, Silverwood in Idaho, Kentucky Kingdom, Knoebels in Pennsylvania, Magic Springs in Arkansas, and Indiana Beach. As for the jobs part, I do think these are job generators. Sure a lot of the season staff at parks like this are minimum wage, but that's important for young workers. There are cascading job effects in the local area, not to mention the large amount of taxes that would be generated.

I can't speak from the local perspective, but from the amusement park enthusiast side of things the general consensus is that Jazzland was not appropriately funded and marketed from the start. Then Six Flags took over, and Six Flags is known as the lowest tier park operator. They had over 2 billion in debt before the pandemic, and there are plenty of examples where they ran a park into the ground and it was either lost forever (e.g. in Houston and New Orleans) or had to be rescued and reborn by an independent operator (Kentucky Kingdom). My point is there's no reason a park in the NO area can't be successful.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:01 PM
-

621 Canal St·HDLC COA · Ref Code:2033YT
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Charles Neyrey
Permit Case Created
Date Filed:
2/8/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of three-story commercial building including modifications to storefront, signage, gallery railings, and other exterior changes.

djsnola
1200 Canal St·Zoning Verification · Project #21-0166 · Ref Code:EC3AXG
Type:
Zoning Verification
Applicant:
Joy Theater LLC
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/8/2021
Closed:
No

djsnola
5712 S Claiborne Ave·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:2LR0J1
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Graham Hill
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/8/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of an existing, approximately 19,334 sq ft historic auditorium attached to a school; generally including but not limited to selective demolition, structural modifications, railings, restoration of existing and new construction and finishes, restoration of existing and new openings, restoration of auditorium seating, specialties, equipment, furnishings, theatrical equipment, furnishings and lighting, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, communications and life safety systems.

TREEHOUSE 1424 ORETHA CASTLE HALEY NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AG.36.0000115504-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 3600115504 PENDING 02/08/2021

TREEHOUSE 1840 THALIA ST NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans AG.36.0000115503-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 3600115503 PENDING 02/08/2021

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Cedar Point is Cedar Point - you can't recreate that. For an amusement park to be successful in the greater New Orleans area I think it needs to be a well-run small-ish park that is geared toward families. It would draw from the 1.2 million people in the area, not try to get out of state tourists. Some examples of existing independent parks like this are Adventureland in Iowa, Silverwood in Idaho, Kentucky Kingdom, Knoebels in Pennsylvania, Magic Springs in Arkansas, and Indiana Beach. As for the jobs part, I do think these are job generators. Sure a lot of the season staff at parks like this are minimum wage, but that's important for young workers. There are cascading job effects in the local area, not to mention the large amount of taxes that would be generated.

I can't speak from the local perspective, but from the amusement park enthusiast side of things the general consensus is that Jazzland was not appropriately funded and marketed from the start. Then Six Flags took over, and Six Flags is known as the lowest tier park operator. They had over 2 billion in debt before the pandemic, and there are plenty of examples where they ran a park into the ground and it was either lost forever (e.g. in Houston and New Orleans) or had to be rescued and reborn by an independent operator (Kentucky Kingdom). My point is there's no reason a park in the NO area can't be successful.
Blue Bayou is pretty equivalent to the parks mentioned. It's about 60 miles from downtown New Orleans in suburban Baton Rouge. Lots of NOLA folks simply go there for waterpark/amusement park fun. The only thing missing from Blue Bayou is a signature roller coaster.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Blue Bayou is pretty equivalent to the parks mentioned. It's about 60 miles from downtown New Orleans in suburban Baton Rouge. Lots of NOLA folks simply go there for waterpark/amusement park fun. The only thing missing from Blue Bayou is a signature roller coaster.
Good to know - I didn't realize they drew from the New Orleans market. There's also the Park at OWA near Gulf Shores, a little more than three hours away. Still, an underserved market compared to the population size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations