HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which city will reach 1 million first?
Winnipeg 89 76.72%
Québec 27 23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is common in many places but the magnitude isn't the same everywhere. It is pretty mild in BC and Atlantic Canada at least used to have a mega version of this sort of sentiment that would dominate a lot of discussions in the media, politics, etc.

In Quebec it seems to go both ways as, yes, there is the Quebec City vs. Montreal stuff, but also acceptance that there is a metropolis in the province. I'm not sure about the Prairies.
There is no one city that really dominates the prairies so you don't get much of that. Within each prairie province there is a rural/urban divide, though. Certainly in Manitoba where one metro accounts for more than half the provincial population.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interestingly enough NYC vs the rest of the US isn't too bad, even though their country's polarization is quite intense but it's mostly framed in generalities like Heartland America vs Liberal Cities. Certain places are of course poster children for one's nemesis, but the tensions don't tend to focus on a single geographic point.
Red team vs. blue team has overtaken pretty much everything else there.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is lots of hate for Toronto outside of the GTA and Golden Horseshoe, or even within the GTA itself but some distance from the city core.

I think dislike of the big city by the hinterlands is a generalized human phenomenon.
That was very much our experience before my family moved to Halifax when i was a teen. When people in our small town found out some just seemed bewildered like they had never heard of such a thing, but quite a few had all kinds of negative comments. It ranged from people saying it was dirty and dangerous to full blown hysteria with people portraying it as some sort of war zone. Someone claimed there were constant shootings, the streets were ruled by gangs, you couldn't go out after dark, and entire nabes were so dangerous even the police wouldn't risk entering them. My mother was really stressed about it. Most people didn't have that kind of wild imagination but I don't think we heard a single positive sentiment.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That was very much our experience before my family moved to Halifax when i was a teen. When people in our small town found out some just seemed bewildered like they had never heard of such a thing, but quite a few had all kinds of negative comments. It ranged from people saying it was dirty and dangerous to full blown hysteria with people portraying it as some sort of war zone. Someone claimed there were constant shootings, the streets were ruled by gangs, you couldn't go out after dark, and entire nabes were so dangerous even the police wouldn't risk entering them. My mother was really stressed about it. Most people didn't have that kind of wild imagination but I don't think we heard a single positive sentiment.
Sounds like SSP Canada talking about Winnipeg

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:07 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sounds like SSP Canada talking about Winnipeg

I will be going to Winnipeg at the end of August. Should I pack a flak jacket?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

I will be going to Winnipeg at the end of August. Should I pack a flak jacket?
Bring a machete... after all, the best defense is a good offense.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:27 PM

Don't forget your bear spray

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:34 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Don't forget your bear spray
Yeah them there bears are a nuisance, can't even get out of the airport without being mauled.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:53 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Both cities will hit 1 million on the exact same day !
I think this would be amazing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 5:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Yeah them there bears are a nuisance, can't even get out of the airport without being mauled.

Hey it beats paying for the Bear Patrol Tax!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:06 PM
Mooderator

That's the 'Home owner' tax.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:59 PM

I’d go with The Peg for now, mainly because of immigration and incentives to move there.

I just don’t see Quebec City with big ambitions to be a 1million+ city and nothing wrong with that either. Could be a some game changer with a couple mega projects in the region attract people or an exodus of people from Greater Montreal moving there after the HSR is built

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:09 PM

If you are a big sports fan that’s the one big advantage Winnipeg has over Quebec City is NHL Jets , CFL Blue Bombers , CEBLs Winnipeg Seabears , AHL Manitoba Moose , Valour FC Soccer and WHL Winnipeg Ice , both cities have Double AA baseball and probably about the same concert scene .

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:13 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
You better start exercising lots, eating right and wearing sunscreen if you want there to be any chance of that happening

well didn't some folks think the Jets would never come back? or Winnipeg wouldn't have an Ikea (a retail sign of a growing city) lol

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
If you are a big sports fan that’s the one big advantage Winnipeg has over Quebec City is NHL Jets , CFL Blue Bombers , CEBLs Winnipeg Seabears , AHL Manitoba Moose , Valour FC Soccer and WHL Winnipeg Ice , both cities have Double AA baseball and probably about the same concert scene .
Ooh yeah most definitely.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:55 PM

Winnipeg will reach it first because as some people have pointed out it still needs to prove something while everyone knows what QC’s allure is all about.

Winnipeg also has easier geography to grow since the city is flat as a pancake and QC is anything but flat. Of course urban sprawl shouldn’t be the primary form of growth, but there is also a ridiculous amount of space for infill whether it be vacant lots, old industrial sites, or lots of inner city housing stock that needed to be replaced yesterday.

That being said, QC I expect will have quite high growth because there are a lot of French speaking countries they can receive immigration from. Being such an excellent urban fabric and new tramway will also mean attracting a few urbanists here and there.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:41 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
You better start exercising lots, eating right and wearing sunscreen if you want there to be any chance of that happening
I no longer eat Little Caesar's Hot-N-Readys so I'm doing okay

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:35 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Winnipeg will reach it first because as some people have pointed out it still needs to prove something while everyone knows what QC’s allure is all about.

Anthropomorphized notions of a city having "something to prove" (or the SSP classic "can-do-attitude") doesn't actually translate to the key ingredient of more people being willing to move and/or stay there though; unless that coincides with some sort of major civic push to be the next million+ CMA and real policy changes are enacted to better facilitate that. I don't think that's actually the case in Winnipeg - or anywhere else, really - though.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Anthropomorphized notions of a city having "something to prove" (or the SSP classic "can-do-attitude") doesn't actually translate to the key ingredient of more people being willing to move and/or stay there though; unless that coincides with some sort of major civic push to be the next million+ CMA and real policy changes are enacted to better facilitate that. I don't think that's actually the case in Winnipeg - or anywhere else, really - though.
Well if we are looking at these two cities then Winnipeg has been outgrowing QC for the majority of the 21st century because of initiatives like the Provincial nominee program, huge cultural diversity for a city of its size, and stable economy while being one of the more affordable places to live in the Anglo sphere.

None of those things happen by accident, but through policy changes primarily crafted by the NDP in order to counteract the tough times in the late 90s of stagnation before the PCs came in power and halted the momentum until Canada just went crazy with immigration the last few years.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I think this would be amazing.
Both cities will probably have their million people tweets ready to go the same day the other drops theirs lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada