HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 AM

I'm actually quite surprised that Stony Mountain is not a part of the Winnipeg CMA, considering it is about the same distance to the city as La Salle. Stonewall must also be close. I wonder what percentage of people from St Andrews and Rockwood (excluding the communities like Selkirk, Stonewall, and Stony) commute to Winnipeg and back.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm actually quite surprised that Stony Mountain is not a part of the Winnipeg CMA, considering it is about the same distance to the city as La Salle. Stonewall must also be close. I wonder what percentage of people from St Andrews and Rockwood (excluding the communities like Selkirk, Stonewall, and Stony) commute to Winnipeg and back.
For Stony Mtn to be included, there has to be 50 % commuters for all of Rockwood, Stonewall and Teulon. Even though they are separate municipalities they are included together because they are 2 are islands within the other.

I think there are a lot of small farms and people employed at the prison and at the quarries. Also Rockwood goes all the way to Komarno, which is 60km to the city limit.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r....cfm?ID=geo009

See rule 4

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
For Stony Mtn to be included, there has to be 50 % commuters for all of Rockwood, Stonewall and Teulon. Even though they are separate municipalities they are included together because they are 2 are islands within the other.

I think there are a lot of small farms and people employed at the prison and at the quarries. Also Rockwood goes all the way to Komarno, which is 60km to the city limit.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r....cfm?ID=geo009

See rule 4
Thanks for the info. I used to think this too, until cities and towns started to become independent of their respective municipalities (Selkirk, Dunnottar, Stonewall, etc). Then it become slightly confusing.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 PM

The job market is insane. I went to a career fair, and there were probably at least 300 ppl lined up to get in that the RBC Convention Centre. It was probably 80% new Canadians.

It's great if the Manitoba economy grows 1.2% each year, but when the population grows by 3%, that means the net job realistically is -1.8%, as there are not enough jobs for for everyone.

I finally landed work after looking for two months, but it's pretty insane right now. At least construction season will ease the competition somewhat.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:36 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The job market is insane. I went to a career fair, and there were probably at least 300 ppl lined up to get in that the RBC Convention Centre. It was probably 80% new Canadians.

It's great if the Manitoba economy grows 1.2% each year, but when the population grows by 3%, that means the net job realistically is -1.8%, as there are not enough jobs for for everyone.

I finally landed work after looking for two months, but it's pretty insane right now. At least construction season will ease the competition somewhat.
There's no lack of employment opportunities. The problem is that none of them pay anything. That's the real problem with having such massive population growth.

I'm all for immigration but this is ridiculous. It's not their fault, mind you but their presence suppresses wages in a province that already has suppressed wages.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
There's no lack of employment opportunities. The problem is that none of them pay anything. That's the real problem with having such massive population growth.
Or, they don't pay enough to overcome the working conditions, such as Winnipeg Transit and 150+ unfilled bus operator positions. Winnipeg Transit, of course, blames it on the competitive job market.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Or, they don't pay enough to overcome the working conditions, such as Winnipeg Transit and 150+ unfilled bus operator positions. Winnipeg Transit, of course, blames it on the competitive job market.
It’s an unsafe job with split shifts. Who the fuck wants to work a split shift. Let’s take an eight hour day and turn it into 12, but we’ll only pay you for 8 hrs.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

I'm all for immigration but this is ridiculous. It's not their fault, mind you but their presence suppresses wages in a province that already has suppressed wages.
I beg to differ. When one looks at Indeed, and sees 100-500 people applying to relatively unskilled Landscaping and Warehousing jobs, there is a shortage of employment opportunities.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I couldn't last two months at Winnipeg Transit. I've just seen how much shit the operators have to put up with on a daily basis. I am sure that many have become accustomed to threats, abuse, even being spat on, and assaulted. Having said that, I did apply to be a Transit Driver 20 years ago. Got through the written tests with no issue. I got to ride the bus. Having zero experience with anything but a Class 5 vehicle doomed me lol.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 5, 2024 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:45 PM

in my opinion (and I've been hiring for 14+ yrs in the IT sector), for entry level Developer types, i'd rather see someone who has a diploma and work experience in any sector (McD's, Walmart, mowing lawns, etc). I see many who have 0 experience, never had a job, fresh out of school. Having at least some type of empoloyment, it shows they know what it likes to have a boss, show up on time, communicate, etc etc.

so my recommendation is to get the "dream" job, get experience first doing something, instead of nothing

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:50 PM

With changing PR requirements and increased fees, a good portion of those people will never be able to attain PR and will probably return to their home countries. What we really need to worry about as a society is how to increase birth rates of Canadian citizens because without that we'll need to continue importing our working class so the pensions and economic system *cough Ponzi scheme cough* will implode. Places like Germany and Italy will cease to be viable industrial powers in the future because of this.

Last edited by FactaNV; Apr 4, 2024 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
What we really need to worry about as a society is how to increase birth rates of Canadian citizens because without that we'll need to continue importing our working class so the pensions and economic system *cough Ponzi scheme cough* will implode.
Will the government need to appoint a "Minister of Horizontal Refreshment"?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:51 PM
keep the good times going

Immigration will be the future here... especially as the global north faces a demographic crisis (aging boomers), and the global south faces increasing environmental challenges posed by climate change and extreme temperatures.

If planned right, it could be a win-win for both sides.

"over the coming 50 y, 1 to 3 billion people are projected to be left outside the climate conditions that have served humanity well over the past 6,000 y. Absent climate mitigation or migration, a substantial part of humanity will be exposed to mean annual temperatures warmer than nearly anywhere today."

From PNAS. May 04, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1910114117

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Immigration will be the future here... especially as the global north faces a demographic crisis (aging boomers), and the global south faces increasing environmental challenges posed by climate change and extreme temperatures.

If planned right, it could be a win-win for both sides.

"over the coming 50 y, 1 to 3 billion people are projected to be left outside the climate conditions that have served humanity well over the past 6,000 y. Absent climate mitigation or migration, a substantial part of humanity will be exposed to mean annual temperatures warmer than nearly anywhere today."

From PNAS. May 04, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1910114117
It will not be a win-win. It'll be devastating. We're reeling from immigration levels that were agreed to voluntarily. What'll happen if that number triples or quadruples? It's a grim outlook based on human history when these mass migrations happen.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
It will not be a win-win. It'll be devastating. We're reeling from immigration levels that were agreed to voluntarily. What'll happen if that number triples or quadruples? It's a grim outlook based on human history when these mass migrations happen.
I said it would be a win-win if we planned it well. lol

It could also be extremely devastating, but compared to other regions of the world, MB has it pretty well off in a warming world, albeit still with issues relating to flood and drought. Something that land-based solutions could help address.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:35 PM

This book (Nomad Century: How Climate Migration Will Reshape Our World, by Gaia Vince) describes a lot of the issues with contemporary migration and future climate change migration, and some solutions and outlooks.

I would strongly recommend it:

https://us.macmillan.com/books/97812...4/nomadcentury

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:40 PM
the first stamp is free

Our economy is reliant of continual growth. We basically are a giant pyramid scheme.

Immigration is necessary since people are having less babies. We can argue about the rates of immigration, but ultimately, the more people here the better - if it can be sustained.

People complain about the price of housing in this country - and yet the places with the most expensive housing keep growing rapidly (looking at you Vancouver and Southern Ontario). What I deduce from that is that the price of housing isn't high enough to force people to move elsewhere, or move there in the first place.

Winnipeg has swaths of housing stock that is priced such that anyone with a reasonable income can own a detached house. But we haven't yet had a swarm of people from Vancouver or Toronto come in to scoop up these houses and drive up the costs. People are still choosing to live where housing is the most expensive.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
People are still choosing to live where housing is the most expensive.
Might have something to do with the weather.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
in my opinion (and I've been hiring for 14+ yrs in the IT sector), for entry level Developer types, i'd rather see someone who has a diploma and work experience in any sector (McD's, Walmart, mowing lawns, etc). I see many who have 0 experience, never had a job, fresh out of school. Having at least some type of empoloyment, it shows they know what it likes to have a boss, show up on time, communicate, etc etc.

so my recommendation is to get the "dream" job, get experience first doing something, instead of nothing
Absolutely. People don't realize how valuable that McDonald's experience is: working in team; fast paced environment; adhering to quality standards; customer service; communication skills, etc.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Might have something to do with the weather.
Weather/climate, lifestyle, cultural amenities, outdoor amenities, employment opportunities, location, safety, etc.

Walking down Davie and Denman Streets in Vancouver's West End at midnight is a safe experience; as compared to the emptiness of Winnipeg's downtown and other neighbourhoods at that hour. Sidewalks are full of people, there are restaurants and coffee shops in the West End which are open late or 24/7; plus it is the neighbourhood with Vancouver's highest population density.

Calgary is the city drawing folks from the BC Lower Mainland; as well as Ontario. Halifax is also drawing folks from Ontario.

Sorry Winnipeg...tough competition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan