HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:54 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
We gave up our tickets a few years ago due to the neglect and lack of oversight.
Seems to be the main impetus for change. Not that private ownership is a panacea, but if the relative improvements seen in BC, Toronto, Montreal, etc. can be replicated then a storied franchise may be reborn.

Still, while I've been a lifelong Ticats fan who has remained so through awful ownership/management regimes, I'm getting very tired of the current "stable" ownership that seems happy with a team that's just been good enough to break hearts (even when they've only gone 8-10)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Elks announced today that they are seeking private ownership for the first time.

I understand why, but absolutely hate it. Everyone who has sat on the Board in the past decade should be banished to High Level for how badly they've fucked up the team's fortunes.
Nah, it's time.

No matter how bad they've screwed things up, this should have happened years ago.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I know we talk about the Australian Football League in comparison to the CFL sometimes.

They have announced their 19th team which will play in Tasmania. Of course they will be called the Devils.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know we talk about the Australian Football League in comparison to the CFL sometimes.

They have announced their 19th team which will play in Tasmania. Of course they will be called the Devils.
I did a quick google search and the current teams play in only 5 cities in total. Again that's 18 teams in five cities. 9 out 18 play in Melbourne. Nothing wrong with it, but it's strange and very different than CFL.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 10:26 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I did a quick google search and the current teams play in only 5 cities in total. Again that's 18 teams in five cities. 9 out 18 play in Melbourne. Nothing wrong with it, but it's strange and very different than CFL.
Geelong and Gold Coast are like Hamilton to Toronto so that's not quite true. Still more fun to follow an 18 or 19 team league than one with 9 teams.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still more fun to follow an 18 or 19 team league than one with 9 teams.
Oh, I agree. I wonder if any CFL stadium could handle two teams? There are 2 stadiums in Melbourne for 9 teams. I think it's highly doubtful, but it gives something to daydream about at work.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Oh, I agree. I wonder if any CFL stadium could handle two teams? There are 2 stadiums in Melbourne for 9 teams. I think it's highly doubtful, but it gives something to daydream about at work.
They Don’t have NHL above them (AFL) as the most followed league

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Boy View Post
They Don’t have NHL above them (AFL) as the most followed league
Australia benefitted for having (kind of) non-competing sports, as well as isolation, for the key development phase of entrenching professional sport.

Everywhere had cricket in the summer, football in the winter, and that was it*. Sydney played rugby while Melbourne developed AFL, but relative isolation from other major centres meant a multifaceted city-based league worked in both places.

There was no critical mass like North America's east-coast cities. Imagine we only had Chicago, Toronto, and Quebec city, all far less developed than they were, and not much else. That's the approximate distance of Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne.

If Chicago and QC were the only "other places", suddenly it would make sense to have Mississauga vs North York vs Scarbra vs Oshawa vs Hamilton.

*of course it's a little murkier with the rugby code split and soccer, but the point is they didn't have hockey AND football AND later basketball all competing for attention in the fall/winter.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:25 PM

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/28/t...under-an-hour/

Touchdown Pacific game in Victoria sells out in under an hour

Vancouver Island is ready for CFL football, as tickets for the league’s Touchdown Pacific game have sold out in less than one hour.

Royal Athletic Park in Victoria is expected to host a capacity crowd of over 14,000 for the Labour Day weekend matchup between the Ottawa Redblacks and B.C. Lions. A potential capacity increase is already being explored according to the team, with fans unable to get a ticket in the first wave encouraged to sign up for the waitlist.

“It’s an outstanding day for our organization. It’s official: Touchdown Pacific is truly a national event with fans joining us from coast to coast, with ticket buyers coming in from every province,” Lions’ president Duane Vienneau said in a statement.

“We can’t wait to celebrate in our Provincial capital with our season ticket holders and local Vancouver Islanders for what will be an incredible weekend of events.”

Victoria is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, 115 kilometres south of Vancouver and accessible by ferry. The Greater Victoria Region has a population of approximately 400,000.

The CFL has hosted seven previous Touchdown events in the Maritimes with the first taking place at Huskies Stadium in 2005. The six subsequent events have taken place in Moncton, N.B., Wolfville, N.S. or back in Halifax.

This year’s game will be the first on the West Coast and will take place Saturday, August 31. The event will be preceded by a two-day festival at downtown Victoria’s Ship Point Inner Harbour, featuring food, beverages, and musical entertainment.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:26 PM

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/31/e...wnership-hunt/

‘Everyone’s gonna get a fair look’: 20 suitors signed to NDAs in Elks’ ownership hunt

The Edmonton Elks have no shortage of potential owners lining up to purchase their football club, but don’t expect a frontrunner to emerge anytime soon.

“We’re not quite that far along in the process,” chairman of the board Tom Richards told 630 CHED this week. “Right now, we’re just at the point of identifying anybody that wants to put their hand up, make sure the hand’s up and added to the list. We’ve got 20 different people or parties that have signed non-disclosure agreements, so there’s a lot of interest.”

The Elks are set to celebrate their 75th anniversary in 2024, a milestone that might also mark the end of the franchise’s community ownership model. A special committee was formed in October to formally review the club’s ownership structure, with the sale of the team to a private entity viewed as a necessity after several difficult years financially.

Edmonton posted a $3.3 million net operating loss in 2022 as attendance plummeted 9.1 percent. Ticket sales rose 4.1 percent in 2023 according to published figures but remain well below pre-pandemic levels. Financial reports from this past season have not yet been made public, though the team is expected to post another significant loss.

Richards, who serves on the special committee alongside team president Rick LeLacheur and four current or former board members, described the announcement of an ownership search as a “personal low” for him. However, his mood has shifted as the number of suitors has risen, thanks in part to the involvement of the CFL’s investment banking partner, Park Lane.

“We’ve never had to face these kinds of questions before but we’re into it, we’re not shying away from it,” he said. “We’ve got a good organization, a great board of directors. They’ve got our special committee struck and we’ve got a great partner in Park Lane helping us get everybody organized that has put their hand up to take it to that next stage of already figuring out who’s gonna wind up taking over the ownership of the club.”

Park Lane recently ran point on the ownership search for the Montreal Alouettes, helping to salvage the franchise from financial turmoil in the wake of ceded ownership. A deal was struck with Quebec billionaire Pierre-Karl Peladeau in under a month, catapulting the team to a Grey Cup championship in his first season in control.

The Elks hope a new owner can have a similar effect on their success, though the timeline is much less urgent. Richards would not commit to a firm deadline but hopes to have clarity for fans by the time the anniversary festivities kick off with a gala dinner on June 6.

“That would be my goal. Wouldn’t it be nice to tidy it all up and even at the dinner to be able to make that announcement?” he said, before providing an important caveat.

“It’s a blessing that we have that many organizations interested but it’s gonna slow it down a little bit. Everybody’s gonna get a fair shot at this, everyone’s gonna get a fair look. We are going to request a lot of information, as I’m sure they will request a bunch of information from us. It’s a process.”

Those logistical challenges are welcome when they are accompanied by the level of opportunity that the current situation provides. With 20 groups already signing paperwork, Richards is confident that the Elks will end up in the best possible hands.

“I’m very optimistic that we’re gonna be able to find the right organization to take over with that many people putting their hand up,” he said. “We’re gonna be able to make sure we can sit down and make the right decision. It might prove to be a little longer, just because we have so many interested parties, but that’s fine. That’s a luxury for us now.”

The Elks will open their 2024 regular season by hosting the Saskatchewan Roughriders at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday, June 8.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:32 PM

You beat me to it, I was going to post those two articles last night and then got distracted by something else.

A couple of things: Good to see Park Lane is still involved as the "headhunter", they've done a pretty good job so far finding billionaire owners for the league and done it fairly quickly. The amount of interest in Edmonton is very promising showing that people think there is value in owning that franchise.

There was another article at 3DN saying that they will be adding extra seats for Touchdown Pacific.

Also 16 NFL scouts will be at BC Place to test the two UBC OL

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:27 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Forget Moncton or Halifax.

Charlottetown should be the location for the 10th CFL team!

https://atlanticmoose.ca/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:01 PM

Some not very intelligent person is taking this hoax quite far

THE PEI ADVANTAGE

Halifax and Moncton in Atlantic Canada suffer from a pervasive socio-economic malaise which has resulted to persistent of relatively high rates of crime. Their local governments are essentially is disarray and have unsurprisingly have lacked the will to commit to the development of a new CFL team.

PEI in sharp contrast is characterized by unified communities which have very low rates of crime and both provincial and municipal governments highly oriented toward tourism.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:42 PM
Ham-burgher

I've always felt unsafe attending CFL games.
(webpage needs a proof-reading if this were ever a serious endeavor)

Still, the helmet -- while "busy" -- is noteworthy:

Quote:
HEAD OFFICE
Atlantic Canada Moose Suite 325 - 207 Bank Street Ottawa, Ontario K2P 2N2
with a Montreal area code (514)
https://atlanticmoose.ca/contact-us/

This is immediately where my mind went:
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:47 PM

Elections Ontario
People's Progressive Common Front of Ontario - Ontario People's Front

President Raymond Samuels