HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 3:46 AM

Nice pictures. I didn't realize that San Antonio had so many highrises in random places.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:56 PM
robert die katze

Great thread! The scenery around SA is beautiful.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:17 AM

Great Job!!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 9:50 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
That drive down I-10 from just outside of San Antonio (around Boerne) West towards Kerrville, Junction, etc. is one of the prettiest anywhere. These pics bring back a lot of memories. San Antonio has one of the most underrated terrains in the US.
That view is nice but the view driving from Helotes to Bandera is the best, imo, did you ever drive it?

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 2:54 AM

I've never really seen too many pictures of this area. The geography is nice. The sprawl is sort of scary. The mayor is going to be a political superstar.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 5:32 AM

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinChelseaNYC View Post
I've never really seen too many pictures of this area. The geography is nice. The sprawl is sort of scary. The mayor is going to be a political superstar.
The sprawl being featured was the idea. San Antonio's sprawl is about on par with many similar-sized cities, though it looks worse for my not having shown any of the interior. I think too many photothreads are afraid of depicting sprawl. But, with the exception of a few truly special cities, sprawl constitutes the bulk of a given metro's developed area. And also, strange as it may sound (and I hate sprawl, so don't get me wrong), so much seemingly homogeneous and characterless sprawl can actually vary from city to city. There's nuance to the blandness, so to speak.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 3:23 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Very nice. I hope some of those hills are preserved because the are gorgeous.
I agree, save some of those hills...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 9:12 PM

Nice set! Those highway pics are terrific, how high are those overpasses? :O

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 3:15 AM

Over 100 feet I believe.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Thanks again!

The sprawl being featured was the idea. San Antonio's sprawl is about on par with many similar-sized cities, though it looks worse for my not having shown any of the interior. I think too many photothreads are afraid of depicting sprawl. But, with the exception of a few truly special cities, sprawl constitutes the bulk of a given metro's developed area. And also, strange as it may sound (and I hate sprawl, so don't get me wrong), so much seemingly homogeneous and characterless sprawl can actually vary from city to city. There's nuance to the blandness, so to speak.
This is a great photo thread thought I would bring it back.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 11:15 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
And also, strange as it may sound (and I hate sprawl, so don't get me wrong), so much seemingly homogeneous and characterless sprawl can actually vary from city to city. There's nuance to the blandness, so to speak.

You can often tell the recent history of a city by how old/new the things in its suburbs look, IMO

Quote:
Living in South Texas means almost hitting these things with your car at least once a week.
Yeah, those vultures. They like to hang around Spring Lake and the river in San Marcos this time of year. Those are some nasty creatures, bird barf on the sidewalks

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:55 AM

Great work. I lived in San Antonio for a year and never seen so much. (I didn't have a car.)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 12:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

I was just in the terrible San Antonio suburbs yesterday. Didnt get to downtown but wow, they just went on forever and ever and ever.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos