HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:29 AM
Total Egghead

Impressive, very impressive. Your coming up with a very stunning city indeed. You did all that with Cinema4D? Wow!

Good job

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

i cant say much about this city!

its just so perfect!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 2:27 AM
BANNED

it looks like japan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 8:42 AM

Plane8

I have tentatively started work on Plane8, this portion of the city is immediately to the west of Plane7 and will form the central core of Los Madras commercial district. It will contain a jumble of skyscrapers as well as the cities planned tallest the StaFee Financial Centre - the SFFC. So far I've just started on the first block hemmed in between Norfolk Avenue and Collins Street. In fact this collection of blocks between these 2 main arterial roads will hold some of the cities tallest buildings - more to follow...

Work in progress shot, the weird disc on the ground is just a scale tester (don't ask please!)

Last edited by Pingyao; Mar 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 9:09 PM

The grey and glass building on the corner of the previous picture is so good looking...I'm liking the start of the center here!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 11:43 PM
Total Egghead

I'm just.... in total awe!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 9:28 PM

National Bank Tower 210m (689ft)

The National Bank Tower or NB Tower is now the tallest building I've constructed so far in Sta Fee at 210m (689ft) to the roof.

The building is a classic black box skyscraper with an external X bracing structure, partly modelled
on the John Hancock Centre in Chicago. It was built between 1978-1980 and was at the time the cities tallest for
well over a decade. The original scheme called for twin antennas to be erected, but it wasn't until 1990 that a
pair of masts were added, bringing the total height to 268m (879ft). Although these antennas were originally
planned they were not implemented at the time of construction so the 210m roof height is generally accepted for the
buildings structural height data (I'm sure some people would disagree).

The NB Tower now dominates the Los Madras area as well as Sta Fee in general, I hope to have a render
showing its impact on the overall skyline soon.

The building was an original design I'd come up with at the concept stage, so its nice to see it come into reality

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 11:07 PM
Total Egghead

So much... inspiration. You really got me going there with the high-rises. That C4D must be a gread 3d application. So real and life-like. You put my Atlas city to shame.

Good job indeed.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 7:43 AM

The Silicon Center and the NB Tower are great landmarks! In the beginning Sta Fee looked a bit too European for my taste, but now it's starting to look that Sta Fee will have a really impressive and unique skyline. Great work!

I think the new render settings give even more realistic renders than before. The render settings, the size of the model and the realistic building designs really give amazing renders!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:46 AM

-Delete-

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foun10Head-X View Post
So much... inspiration. You really got me going there with the high-rises. That C4D must be a gread 3d application. So real and life-like. You put my Atlas city to shame.

Good job indeed.
Thanks Foun10Head _ yeah C4D is pretty ideal for doin this kinda stuff. Even with a f**king huge model with god
knows how many polys it still throws it around surprising quick. I'm not sure how much detail it'll take, but so far
I've had more problems with the texture memory in the renderer, rather than the 3D side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
The Silicon Center and the NB Tower are great landmarks! In the beginning Sta Fee looked a bit too European for my taste, but now it's starting to look that Sta Fee will have a really impressive and unique skyline. Great work!

I think the new render settings give even more realistic renders than before. The render settings, the size of the model and the realistic building designs really give amazing renders!
It was looking too European for my tastes too lol, I've always been fascinated by South American cities, and that's
originally what I envisioned for Sta Fee, however its recently started taking its own form, so I guess thats cooler
than just straight copy for inspiration. Thnx for your comments.

Well as promised a pic showing the impact of Los Madras' growing skyline on the rest of Sta Fee. The NB Tower
really dominates this view, which is seen from the southwest. The War Memorial in the foreground and most of
downtown spreading towards the right side of the image, with the newer Los Madras and Northbank on the left.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 12:52 PM
Total Egghead

Now that's what I call a "city"!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 4:29 PM

Last update for a while as I'm going on a weeks hols next week to New York city wahay. Hoping to visit DC for a couple
of nights too. I went to NY in 2001 just before 9/11 (actually I went up the WTC in early august) so its gonna be
weird, interesting and sad to return and see the changes. Anyways, expect Sta Fee to become heavily influenced
by NY lol.

So a few renders done, not much modelling. First view is a street level shot of the NAtional Bank Tower.

The next view is the start of the second portion of plane8, basically the southwest corner of plane
8 this is mainly mid rise residential towers, and low rises commercial building.

Bye for now.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 3:14 AM

National Bank Tower is such a sweet building, great colour.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 5:29 AM
Total Egghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggkruka View Post
National Bank Tower is such a sweet building, great colour.
I agree. As you said, it does have that John Hancock feel to it with the x-skeleton bars, it really complements it.

Enjoy your trip and be safe, I visited NYC in '95 and saw both Statue of Liberty and WTC (went up to the Observation) before 9/11. It ought to be interesting to see NY with the Freedom Tower and the other buildings incorporating it when they're built.

Not to get off topic, but I'll check back from time to time to see your city grow.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyao View Post
Thanks guys for all your comments.

Expect to see a revised map soon. I may do an overhead/birds-eye perspective too.

Continuing to make progress on plane3, now on the northbank which contains the first part of the main commercial area known as Los Madres. This area will eventually contain the cities tallest buildings and relates to the original sketches on page1 showing the 3 pyramid topped towers. At the moment I have completed the current tallest and second tallest. The EON centre (left) at 100m (328ft) built in 1989 and Muhama Tower right at 98m (321ft) built in 1986 \/.

Overview of the northbank portion of Plane3. The roads above are on another palne and will be developed at some point in the future. This area will probably contain a lot of the cities main highrise buildings.

this STA FEE looks like Louisville Kentucky because of the humana building and the demolished river view square

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 6:40 AM

The Los Madras area is really starting to make a difference on the skyline. It looks really good! I think the height variance between the buildings is quite perfect at the moment. I really like a skyline where there's a couple of taller buildings really standing out with almost twice the height of all the others. I hope Los Madras stays that way and doesn't get overcrowded.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 7:34 AM
nuttin

amazing !

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 9:25 PM
Future architect!

I dont know if this has been asked before, but where did you get the map? I mean the roads and parking lots are satelite images

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeli View Post
this STA FEE looks like Louisville Kentucky because of the humana building and the demolished river view square
Yup, thats because I based those designs on real buildings - I saw River View Square demolition on Discovery channel
and thought it would be cool to memorialise it in 3D in my city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
The Los Madras area is really starting to make a difference on the skyline. It looks really good! I think the height variance between the buildings is quite perfect at the moment. I really like a skyline where there's a couple of taller buildings really standing out with almost twice the height of all the others. I hope Los Madras stays that way and doesn't get overcrowded.
Thnx dude, glad u like the balance of Los Madras area to the overal city - I'll be honest its gonna change, but then so do
real cities, so you'll have to wait and see how it evolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgtman1992 View Post
I dont know if this has been asked before, but where did you get the map? I mean the roads and parking lots are satelite images
Ahh the map, well yes I use satellite imagery whipped from Google Earth and then composited in Photoshop to create
basically my own plan, although recently I've been looking at combining real whole areas of cities as this is quicker.
The finished 3D city is unique though, the roads and parking lots just give a more realistic feel without wasting time
actually modelling roads and parking lots.

.....So I'm back from NYC, man what a trip and what a great city. I had forgotten just how exciting, inspiring, frenetic
and purely beautiful New York truly is - for my mind the worlds greatest city (and I'm a Londoner, sorry Londonium!) We
had record temperatures the first day (92f in April!!!) and pretty fantastic weather after that. Walked for miles and
covered more blocks than I can remember. If I have time or the inclination I'll put some pics on the forum.

Got back to Heathrow last thursday, 4 hours before they shut airspace down for a week - crazy shit from Iceland has typically
thrown the UK into chaos, although I have been watching planes flying over us here in South London this morning so things
seem to be sorting out.

Sta Fee hasn't been on my mind much, although I did a few additional work in progress renders from just before I went away.
Expect to see Sta Fee become heavily inspired by NYC. I love New York's infrastructure, how its freeways, bridges and
powerplants are all proudly displayed. Thoughts include big smoke stacks next to apartment blocks - derelict jetties (Brooklyn)
- raised shoreline freeways (Lower Manhattan) - A Chinatown of somekind - yes I'm thinking about a Times Square inspired
area maybe near Los Madras and many, many other thoughts....

So anyways, time to have a cup of tea, more to come....

This block is immediately north of the National Bank Tower. Most of these buildings will eventually become fairly screened
by surrounding development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup