HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
There's still tons of room. See the map of the proposed neighbourhood I posted a few pages back.

Should be a roundabout though.
By running out of room, I meant in what is already clear cut. If you look at the pid lookup site compared to your map posted the white part is the existing area that is already clear cut and has been broken up for development. This has been cleared out for years. I remember seeing what looked like a vast open space years ago after it was opened up and thinking it would take forever to fill but they will soon be to the point that they need to start clear cutting more to start the next phase of development (per your map).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:34 AM

Grabbed dinner at the mall tonight. New York Fries is all boarded up now. Not sure if that's for construction or just because the unit was so open they didn't want to leave it exposed like the other closed spots.

It feels a bit like it's for construction and they might be doing a thorough cleaning/reno of the space before the New New York Fries takes over. (The NYF website does say "Temporarily closed" I think)

And on a different topic, I love the look of the new building next to Chess Piece. We've seen so much concrete developement lately, that it's neat to see a steel frame building going up. It's going to be a major building and a great addition downtown there when its done.

And finally, the second floor of the building on Royal Road/End of Main Street is going up now; wood frame construction. They've got maybe 75% of the outside framing done so the roof should be coming in the next week or two, weather permitting.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 11:18 AM

Record year for building permits. 170 Million.

https://huddle.today/fredericton-set...lding-permits/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Grabbed dinner at the mall tonight. New York Fries is all boarded up now. Not sure if that's for construction or just because the unit was so open they didn't want to leave it exposed like the other closed spots.

It feels a bit like it's for construction and they might be doing a thorough cleaning/reno of the space before the New New York Fries takes over. (The NYF website does say "Temporarily closed" I think)

I think someone over on Retail Talk & Share's post about it has said that the franchise owner has moved to Toronto. And another person said they are closed (information straight from the owner). Also Regent Mall completely removed them from their website (tenant listing and mall map), which indicates they are closed for good, or is closed for a good while.

Edit: Now New York Fries' website no longer lists Fredericton. Only Moncton for NB. So I think that confirms it's closed for good.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 4:50 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The new 6 story apartment building going up at Bishop Heights:

by James McGrath, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 6:00 PM

Just noticed that the building next to Chess Piece is going to be tall. I think it's almost topped out now, and the frame is already taller than the buildings around it, including city hall (less the bell tower).

And I drove past the Wagoneers site today, and they've filled in the part they dug out. The excavator and the portapotty are still there, but the hole is filled in.

IIRC the paperwork for that project noted the infrastructure in the area would need to be updated for the new building; I'm now all but certain that is what they took care of last month, getting better water and sewer connections for the new building.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 3:24 PM

Here's a couple more of the nice Queen Street steel building next to the Chest Piece, it's looking nice!

20210109_131340 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210109_131356 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210109_131714 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 3:58 PM

It's six storeys so that's as tall as it's going to be. Gives us a good idea of how it will fit into the streetscape.

It's the same developer who built the new Service Canada building at the bottom of Regent which turned out very well so I'm optimistic that this will look great.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Should be a roundabout though.
I imagine it's a pretty small demand for people turning left out of Patience Lane. A roundabout at Rainsford/Duncan would probably be better location as it would finally allow the people between Prospect/Woodstock easy access to uptown.

More importantly, some sort of traffic control is needed at Prospect and the Route 8 on/off ramps.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
I imagine it's a pretty small demand for people turning left out of Patience Lane. A roundabout at Rainsford/Duncan would probably be better location as it would finally allow the people between Prospect/Woodstock easy access to uptown.

More importantly, some sort of traffic control is needed at Prospect and the Route 8 on/off ramps.
Lots of people turn left onto Patience Lane from Prospect though.

But yes, double roundabouts at the Route 8 ramps and at Duncan/Rainsford would be a good solution. Then make Patience left in/left out only.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
It's six storeys so that's as tall as it's going to be. Gives us a good idea of how it will fit into the streetscape.

It's the same developer who built the new Service Canada building at the bottom of Regent which turned out very well so I'm optimistic that this will look great.
I believe the same developers also built/own the Westpointe building down the street. No doubt this will be a quality project

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 5:02 PM

Pretty sure it is seven floors, the top floor is stepped back so hard to see in the pics (and the steel is still going up).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Pretty sure it is seven floors, the top floor is stepped back so hard to see in the pics (and the steel is still going up).
Ah yes, you're right.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:11 PM

Phase 2 of the NBEX land development engagement now up: https://engagefredericton.ca/nbex

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:23 AM

The plans for a new school are a bit surprising; but it is nice to see them planning and proposing an urban school for the area instead of trying to stick a new school on the outskirts (Hanwell/Killarney; though those areas need schools too)

The first two scenarios feel acceptable to me. The third scenario doesn't feel very inspired. I don't think a school on Smythe street, even a Middle School, feels wise, nor does On Street Parking on Smythe. The second scenario feels the most feasible I think.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:59 AM

The third scenario is pretty bad and I think that is somewhat intentional to drive support for the first two scenarios.

I don't really see the problem with street parking on Smythe though. It's a great way to provide more parking and make the sidewalk much more pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:47 AM

Fredericton is always an awesome place to live.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The plans for a new school are a bit surprising; but it is nice to see them planning and proposing an urban school for the area instead of trying to stick a new school on the outskirts (Hanwell/Killarney; though those areas need schools too)

The first two scenarios feel acceptable to me. The third scenario doesn't feel very inspired. I don't think a school on Smythe street, even a Middle School, feels wise, nor does On Street Parking on Smythe. The second scenario feels the most feasible I think.
The school would be the replacement for George Street. I prefer scenario #1 but could live with scenario #2.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:25 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...pool-1.5869600

Some new on the aquatic center, including a basic floor plan.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:43 PM

I think I would have personally preferred the second option with a separate building for the Aquatic Centre; but I'm glad that one of the plans was accepted and I'm not completely against the attached plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces