HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Noticed this morning steel is now going up for the hospital expansion, seems like that project is moving along very slowly.
The addition and refurbishment of the existing space is sked to be completed in 2025. PNB is doing this project over a lengthy period of time to spread out the payments. So yes...slow going.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:35 AM

Hiring underway for the new St Louis Bar & Grill

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...:1573011268262

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Interesting. With the bigger outlet on the other side of the river, and most places that serve locally brewed beers already serving Picaroons, they probably don't really need the downtown location any more.

Back when they were tucked in off Route 8 in Pepper Creek, the downtown location was probably great for visibility and accessibility; but it's served its purpose and probably isn't really worth the rent now.

Considering downtown is surprisingly full (despite all the doomsayers lamenting each closure) I doubt this space will stay empty for long.
Yes, I think you're right. The Brewtique was a huge visibility bump for them at the time, and it was the only convenient way to get growlers filled. It's pretty much supplanted by The Roundhouse now.

I don't think they will have much issue finding a tenant for that space, it's a great location.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:40 PM

Proposed seven storey apartment building at 343 Queen Street with 46 residential units and two ground floor commercial units.

There's also small proposed townhouses at 156 Jaffrey and 590 Albert. I believe these are part of the city's affordable housing initiative and these properties are currently owned by the city.

There's also a gas station proposed for Woodstock Road near the city limits.

http://www.fredericton.ca/sites/defa...ndanov2019.pdf

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:22 PM

343 Queen Street is the lot between the Police Station and Chess Piece. If that's the plans for that lot, GO FOR IT. That looks like a very nice building, and it brings some residential right down town. Nice density for downtown and another crane when it's being built. If it starts when the Legion project goes, that would be 2 cranes at once again downtown.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:41 PM

Agreed. That's a nice development and means there will be no more empty lots on the main part of Queen. Design is fine glad they got a least a bit of commercial in on the bottom.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
343 Queen Street is the lot between the Police Station and Chess Piece. If that's the plans for that lot, GO FOR IT. That looks like a very nice building, and it brings some residential right down town. Nice density for downtown and another crane when it's being built. If it starts when the Legion project goes, that would be 2 cranes at once again downtown.
Good chance at 3 cranes if Risteen project proceeds as expected

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:31 PM

That would be 3 big projects going on in the west end of downtown; a lot of work going on there. You'd think with all that going on, it would be enough impetus for TD Tower II to finally take off.

Then again with the low resident vacancy rate in the city, maybe TD Tower II should be replanned as a commercial/residential tower instead of an office tower.

So, looking over GMaps and my memory, the biggest empty spaces we have left downtown are:

* TD Tower II
* Corner of King and Regent and Brunswick/Old SMT Bus Terminal
* Kings Street between Victory and Robert Simmonds
* Centennial Building
* Old Isaacs Way on Carleton Street.
* Corner of Queen and Northumberland (next to Irving)
* Behind Victory on Brunswick

There is lots of opportunity to renovate and expand and rebuild existing structures of course. But when you look at it, we don't have that much space downtown for new construction left; especially with these projects going.

We do need to get a new garage planned and built as the City is planning. And it would be really good to get both TD Tower II and Brunswick/Regent/King built as a high profile project. But beyond those two spots, it's mainly smaller areas that can be filled as a project fits them.

*Edit*

Thinking on it a bit more, I do suspect that Brunswick is well on its way to becoming downtown's 3rd urban corridor. We'll see the houses taken down and more office/retail/apartment blocks going up there in the years to come; mainly because we don't have anywhere else to expand downtown to.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
That's already happened once. After Jives closed in that location, a Chinese restaurant called 777 opened there. After it's third shutdown by Health for violations, it became Buffet Express.

They seem to be getting shut down less frequently now, at least.
Same owners (777 and Buffet Express).
Same health concerns.

Why anyone would eat in a restaurant owned by people who have a proven track record for poor sanitation and health infractions is beyond me.

The best predictor for future behavior is relevant past behavior. These owners have the same problems in all their operations (MISU, Buffet Express, BUffet To Go!).

The other question I ask myself: Why do the owners operate three chinese buffet restaurants within a range of less than 2 square kilometres?

They should be bastardizing each other for sales while tripling operating costs. If you had one place that was REALLY, REALLY good, you should have a better bottom line.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:39 PM

FADI'S Pizza

I looked through the last four pages of posts but did not see this being discussed anywhere.

Does anyone know what the new owners plans are for the old Fadi's Pizza on Main St?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Devon View Post
Agreed. That's a nice development and means there will be no more empty lots on the main part of Queen. Design is fine glad they got a least a bit of commercial in on the bottom.
Low vacancy rates in Fredericton is creating a lot of apartment construction. With the location and main floor commercial providing added amenities for the tenants, this should be a very desirable building. It's a great looking project.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Thinking on it a bit more, I do suspect that Brunswick is well on its way to becoming downtown's 3rd urban corridor. We'll see the houses taken down and more office/retail/apartment blocks going up there in the years to come; mainly because we don't have anywhere else to expand downtown to.
For the most part, only the area north of Brunswick is zoned City Centre. I'd guess before we see much new development on Brunswick we'll see more redevelopment in the west end.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
For the most part, only the area north of Brunswick is zoned City Centre. I'd guess before we see much new development on Brunswick we'll see more redevelopment in the west end.
What other redevelopment do you see in the West End? With the Legion and Risteen projects, the "West End" only really has:

* TD Tower II (the biggest and oldest hole in the urban landscape downtown)
* Queen and Northumberland, next to the Irving.

Beyond that, I could also see opportunities like:
* Redeveloping the Home Hardware lumberyard. (And maybe the old Home Hardware store)
* Redeveloping the stretch of houses on King near Smythe street.

While the south side of Brunswick may not technically be part of the core, in another decade or two I could see the core expanding to George street. Already there are a number of medical offices, townhouses, apartment blocks and similar 'denser' projects on the southern part of Brunswick, so it is urbanizing.

On the east end of the core, I'd argue it already extends to George street, considering the Market and similar are there.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
What other redevelopment do you see in the West End? With the Legion and Risteen projects, the "West End" only really has:

* TD Tower II (the biggest and oldest hole in the urban landscape downtown)
* Queen and Northumberland, next to the Irving.

Beyond that, I could also see opportunities like:
* Redeveloping the Home Hardware lumberyard. (And maybe the old Home Hardware store)
* Redeveloping the stretch of houses on King near Smythe street.

While the south side of Brunswick may not technically be part of the core, in another decade or two I could see the core expanding to George street. Already there are a number of medical offices, townhouses, apartment blocks and similar 'denser' projects on the southern part of Brunswick, so it is urbanizing.

On the east end of the core, I'd argue it already extends to George street, considering the Market and similar are there.
I wouldn't say it's urbanizing, it's already 100% urban.

The area between King and Brunswick beside Victoria Circle is ripe for redevelopment, and someone recently bought some of those properties. It would be great to have a big flatiron-style building on that corner. Some of the houses on the north side of King are also owned by the guy who bought the Risteen building so I'd expect further developments there.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:54 AM

[QUOTE=Taeolas;8740761]

So, looking over GMaps and my memory, the biggest empty spaces we have left downtown are:

* TD Tower II
* Corner of King and Regent and Brunswick/Old SMT Bus Terminal
* Kings Street between Victory and Robert Simmonds
* Centennial Building
* Old Isaacs Way on Carleton Street.
* Corner of Queen and Northumberland (next to Irving)
* Behind Victory on Brunswick

There is lots of opportunity to renovate and expand and rebuild existing structures of course. But when you look at it, we don't have that much space downtown for new construction left; especially with these projects going.

The owner of the new office building on Carleton(Yerxa?) has said they’ve bought the lot across the street for redevelopment. IIRC the article said it was leaning towards a residential project, I wonder if it’s just the church lot or the Bell building as well. Another project like 343 Queen would look great there.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
The owner of the new office building on Carleton(Yerxa?) has said they’ve bought the lot across the street for redevelopment. IIRC the article said it was leaning towards a residential project, I wonder if it’s just the church lot or the Bell building as well. Another project like 343 Queen would look great there.
I'm pretty sure it's just the church.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:01 PM

I wonder if they're going to redevelop King's place too

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
I wonder if they're going to redevelop King's place too
I think it’s the short term(?) goal to work with the city to rebuild the parking garage and a potential new transit hub with Colliers that own Kings Place. Ross Ventures owns HSBC Place and the new 140 Carleton, so maybe they have a plan to link the two buildings and eventually a third?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 7:35 PM

There was an interesting story in the Moncton newspaper this morning about a developer from Ottawa who thought that Fredericton might be a good place to invest. After investigating, he decided not to. His reasons: Double taxation and also long term projections for major flooding problems.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 6:23 PM

Always remember that all New Brunswick papers are owned by the Irvings, who it has already been established cannot be trusted with regards to taxation. That story may be true, but there's always going to be a beneficial slant in monopolized media.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces