HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 6:03 AM

San Antonio: the unseen suburbs, the hills... and beyond

Since there haven't been a lot of threads about San Antonio that show you much other than downtown and some inner neighborhoods, I took some pics of some other areas not as frequently seen on SSP. Everything here is well within the city limits.

Here we are, just inside Loop 410, looking south toward downtown from the Balcones Escarpment, the southern terminus of the Texas Hill Country.

But if you go outside the loop...

...bland midrises and suburbia await

(like Austin, we also have hills-- you just have to drive further)

On the upper left is a glimpse of the USAA building, the (so I'm told) largest single-tenant private office building in the US. Note the vulture circling over the Westin La Cantera Resort. I wish I could say that portends something.

New development in the hills off Interstate 10: the mixed-use Eilan some-or-other.

On the horizon is the South Texas Medical Center. It's the closest thing SA has to a second skyline.

The campus in the middleground is the University of Texas-San Antonio, my alma mater and home to ~28,000 eager young students who will probably end up moving away.

San Antonio can't have all-glass buildings downtown (not "historic"), but we're still allowed to have them in the boonies.

Living in South Texas means almost hitting these things with your car at least once a week.

Going back into SA to see some other parts.

Black rhinoceros, meet new Broadway residential tower.

If I know SA, this guy probably listens to the three S's: Siouxsie and the Banshees, Slayer and Selena. I know I do.

The growing "midtown" skyline on north Broadway, with Fort Sam Houston in the background.

Back home inside the loop.

Flickr Blog Site

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos